Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Kilns => Topic started by: ScarletLeonard on November 05, 2011, 04:11:43 PM

Title: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: ScarletLeonard on November 05, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
Help how do I get rid of the I've been smoking 40 a day for 20 years look on my white glass?

it's fine before going in the kiln (cooling with bubbles first) but all the white that was touching the shelf, kiln paper and floor is a horrible yellow. the only ones that don't do it are the beads in the middle of the kebabs.

I've been doing a few off mandrel bits and I can't suspend them on mandrels, does cillit bang do the job on this? (before I buy any) or is there another way to clean/prevent it from happening.
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Jolene on November 05, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
I don't know if Cillit bang will do the job, give it a try as you've nowt to loose. Just curious, do you use your kiln for silver clay?
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Zeldazog on November 05, 2011, 04:32:57 PM
I was going to ask if you'd been using silver or something.
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: ScarletLeonard on November 05, 2011, 05:20:55 PM
no silver clay, there was a bead with some SiS on it and one with encased silver foil but that's all.

I don't actually have any cillit bang in the house. It's useless as a cleaner for the house, but I think neighbour has some I may have to go pinch it :D
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: lampworklover on November 05, 2011, 05:27:37 PM
I batch anneal all my beads, put them in a little pyrex bowl, haven't had any problems like that. Worth a try?
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Blue Box Studio on November 05, 2011, 08:11:31 PM
I don't find Cillit bang works on beads for me.  All my beads, silver glass, SIS whatever go in a pyrex bowl and in for a batch anneal.  Not had white go yellow on me yet.
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Lee - Kilncare on November 25, 2011, 03:37:13 PM
Can't see any chance it is out of the kiln.

Only chance of that happening because of the kiln is if it was the first firing and insulation binders were burning out or if you have used a contaminant in the kiln that is leaking out of the insulation during a susequent firing.

That's pretty much it from the kiln man, it's back over to the glassy types  ;D
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: ScarletLeonard on November 25, 2011, 05:26:16 PM
Thanks lee.

I found another way to arrange what I was doing in the kiln so now I have no yellow marks, though from what you have said it's probably lurking bead release or something like that.

ok next question how do a clean a kiln?
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Lee - Kilncare on November 28, 2011, 09:41:44 AM
Fire it high. Depends what kiln you are running and what it is contaminated with.

Leave the bungs out and run it empty to a temperature above what you normally work at.

It's a start point.
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: Kaz on November 28, 2011, 10:53:00 AM
I Hoover out the bead release crap from time to time.
Kazx
Title: Re: White going all yellowy in the kiln
Post by: polly put the kettle on on November 28, 2011, 11:07:19 AM
Snap Kaz  :D

when i hoover i give the kiln a quick suck out  ;D

sally