Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Safety/Safety Equipment => Topic started by: tuffnell glass on July 31, 2007, 12:21:16 PM

Title: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: tuffnell glass on July 31, 2007, 12:21:16 PM
Hi,
    No it's not me you fools although i am carrying extra weight this year.
I have an e-mail asking if it safe to carry on lampworking while pregnant with Mapp Gas . I realise that working with enamels and metal foils is a no no but has anyone any thoughts on the Mapp Gas. I suppose it applies to Mapp or Propane really but has anybody any health fears about lampworking while pregnant.
Cheers,
Martin.
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: beads-on-toast on July 31, 2007, 12:41:36 PM
Good question tuffers!
I have no idea but someone asked me once and i directed them here so i would love to know
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Caroline on July 31, 2007, 01:19:43 PM
I've been asked this too (it might be the same person)

I'm not sure but personally if i was pregnant i wouldn't lampwork just incase
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: beadysam on July 31, 2007, 01:52:10 PM
I would only do it if I was 100% SURE my ventilation was more than adequate and I would wear a respirator too.  It would probably be a good idea to wash any exposed skin when you have finished too, especially if using powders/frits - overkill probably, but better to be safe than sorry.
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: littlegiggles on July 31, 2007, 02:34:20 PM
there;s some good stuff over on LE I found ... also Sal had some really good advice
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Billie on July 31, 2007, 03:50:57 PM
Yep, Sal responded to this with some very good advice when I asked the question a while back, I'm sure if you do a search using the word "pregnant" it'll come up  :)
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: One Key Beads on August 02, 2007, 08:18:19 PM
Quote from: tuffnell glass on July 31, 2007, 12:21:16 PM
Hi,
    No it's not me you fools although i am carrying extra weight this year.
I have an e-mail asking if it safe to carry on lampworking while pregnant with Mapp Gas . I realise that working with enamels and metal foils is a no no but has anyone any thoughts on the Mapp Gas. I suppose it applies to Mapp or Propane really but has anybody any health fears about lampworking while pregnant.
Cheers,
Martin.


How are you pregnant with mapp gas?  Is this a medical first?  Just a thought.

Jeanette

Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Buzzybead on August 02, 2007, 08:23:16 PM
 ;D ;D ;D Silly Billy!!
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Soozintheshed on August 02, 2007, 09:49:33 PM
It might be dangerous to try and get pregnant whilst Lampworking  ;D
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Funky Cow on August 02, 2007, 11:39:13 PM
 Well.... it could spice things up a bit, turn up the heat, as it were!
;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: tuffnell glass on August 03, 2007, 08:48:34 AM
Hi Jeanette,
                By using the Mapp gas to knock her out , either gassing her or banging her on the head, it gives me the only chance i get to do the dirty deed.

I know , far too much information here.

Martin.
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: claire on August 03, 2007, 10:19:06 AM
there's a really useful thread on this on LE:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4233&highlight=pregnancy+%26amp%3B+lampwork (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4233&highlight=pregnancy+%26amp%3B+lampwork)

Claire
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: Soozintheshed on August 03, 2007, 10:47:42 AM
We could have a challenge, see who can manage the best bead while......................ok I am outa here !
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: beadysam on August 03, 2007, 06:54:28 PM
This thread may be of interest...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49098&highlight=reichenbach
Title: Re: Lampworking while pregnant
Post by: One Key Beads on August 04, 2007, 09:47:04 AM
Hi-ya Martin,

I just had visions of her giving birth to lots of cans of Mapp gas.  Or perhaps just one gigantic can - would solve the problem of the cans going cold or running out so quickly. 

It's a whole new take on the birth of an idea.  Perhaps you could work on this one?

Jeanette