Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: k00m on October 27, 2011, 06:21:20 PM

Title: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: k00m on October 27, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
Does anyone know if any of the 104 TAG will work on a hothead? They all look so pretty but I have no idea if there's any point in me getting some.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: cbeadies on October 27, 2011, 06:53:56 PM
 :) someone more knowledgeable may be along in a minute, but there is some discussion on TAG reducing glass on this thread which may be helpful.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31112.0
(http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=31112.0)
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: helbels on October 27, 2011, 08:12:52 PM
TAG is generally a bugger to work, and some colours like Dalai Lama have to be worked VERY HOT to get them to strike, so not ideal for a Hothead.

Tell us which ones you are interested in, and we can give you advice.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 10:24:34 PM
I just played with some TAG, Deep Purple, Dalai Lama and Fire Lotus.  Every one of them I had to cook the heck out of them repeatedly before I got any colours, and heat them to the point where the glass was almost drooling off of the mandrel.  It's been a while since I used a hothead, and I can't remember if I got the glass that hot or not, but if it's difficult to do that, then working TAG is going to be a proper chore.  Let me rephrase that - even more of a chore than it usually is!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Nikki on October 27, 2011, 10:41:00 PM
taxco is great as it needs reducing I also find golden emerald over clear and reduced gives a beautiful mirror shine.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
I can get my glass to "drool off the mandrel" on my HH, does this mean TAG might work for me?
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 11:39:41 PM
Always worth a try!  I can send you some TAG shorts if you like Shirl and you can test for everybody on a hothead?
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Kalorlo on October 27, 2011, 11:56:27 PM
Quote from: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 11:30:39 PM
I can get my glass to "drool off the mandrel" on my HH, does this mean TAG might work for me?

The striking glass probably still won't - you need to get those to glow white hot and I at least never managed that with any silver striking glass on a hothead.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 28, 2011, 01:05:30 AM
Quote from: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 11:39:41 PM
Always worth a try!  I can send you some TAG shorts if you like Shirl and you can test for everybody on a hothead?

Thats a good idea Sue, I can then post my results on a separate thread.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 28, 2011, 06:03:06 AM
I asked Sean this exact question at FO last year, he told me to try some of the reducers but it was unlikely i would get any of the strikers to produce their really nice colours, now i did buy 2 different reducers (just one rod of each) to try out...yeah they still haven't been anywhere near the torch! You have got me intrigued again now though Shirl, and i may just have a play at the weekend (will let you know how it goes of course)  ;) ;D
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: k00m on October 28, 2011, 07:41:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll get a couple of the reducers for now and save the beautiful strikers for whenever I eventually get a big girls torch.
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: awrylemming on October 28, 2011, 08:02:47 PM
Quote from: k00m on October 28, 2011, 07:41:19 PM
Thanks everyone! I think I'll get a couple of the reducers for now and save the beautiful strikers for whenever I eventually get a big girls torch.

I'm sending some to Shirl tomorrow - if you want to hold fire (pardon the pun) for a little while, she's going to post up her hothead and TAG results when she's had a play, which will give you a better idea of what to buy.  :-*
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: k00m on October 28, 2011, 08:39:24 PM
Quote from: awrylemming on October 28, 2011, 08:02:47 PM
I'm sending some to Shirl tomorrow - if you want to hold fire (pardon the pun) for a little while, she's going to post up her hothead and TAG results when she's had a play, which will give you a better idea of what to buy.  :-*
Oooh, well, I'll see how patient I can be!  ;D
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 30, 2011, 05:05:31 PM
I hope I can do them justice :)  :o

Thanks Sue :)
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 30, 2011, 05:30:22 PM
I had a go with Juno and Lake geneva today, still waiting for them to come out of the bubbles but from working them i'm not expecting much from Juno, the lake geneva looked nice when i reduced it but didn't look so nice under the encasing....will have to wait and see, more playing is probably needed  ;D
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: helbels on October 30, 2011, 06:29:28 PM
Gemma, if you get anything whatsoever from Juno, tell me how.  I superheated that bugger, struck it, reduced it, prayed to the gods, shouted at it, cried, and even tried bribery.... and it just stayed stubbornly transparent pink!!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: awrylemming on October 30, 2011, 06:31:25 PM
You have to reduce it really heavily and put it right into the reduction flame rather than reduce it at the top.  It's still not that much to look at though  :(
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 30, 2011, 06:36:38 PM
ahhhh thanks for that Sue, i had heard it didn't like a heavy reduction so kept it fairly gentle, will give it another go at some point with some stronger reduction  ;D I'm off to have a peek in the bubbles now  ;)
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 30, 2011, 10:15:53 PM
Let us know what you got from it Gemma :)
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 30, 2011, 10:27:51 PM
I made beads with dots of the TAG, then covered the TAG with dots of effetre 006...
There was some slight colour variations in the Juno (some pink some more purpley, some a bit of both!) but none of the flashy effects you would usually expect from a silver glass, but i doubt i reduced it enough so will try again! The Lake geneva had some lovely flashy iridescence in some of the dots, but some of them had gone yukky grey  :(
So the results are on first use the lake geneva seemed to be easier to work and yield nicer results but both need more play time!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 30, 2011, 10:30:50 PM
It looks like its not going te be an easy task testing theses glasses, but more of a steep learning curve! I hope i dont end up with 50 poo coloured beads!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on October 31, 2011, 10:54:55 PM
I got my shorts today from Sue.....THANKS  :-*, and am looking forward to playing tomorrow
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on November 01, 2011, 03:10:18 PM
I have spent today testing TAG Zeus on my HH.

I made about 10 beads over different bases, I cooled them in bubbles and will take a picture when they cool. (I dont think they are poo coloured, but will wait and see!)
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Trudi on November 01, 2011, 03:51:22 PM
I haven't used Juno in a while .... and it could be that I had an old batch ... but I have a feeling it one of those that might like to be annealed at a higher temperature!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Trudi on November 01, 2011, 03:53:53 PM
The Zeus - did you try it over transparent orange

(http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4544220594_6b1c8272cf.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glitteringprize/4544220594/)
Electric Zeus (http://www.flickr.com/photos/glitteringprize/4544220594/) by Glittering Prize - Trudi (http://www.flickr.com/people/glitteringprize/), on Flickr

the purple is more electric than it shows on here!
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on November 01, 2011, 04:30:46 PM
I did do one over CIM clockwork, I dont think it looks as good as yours though Trudi :o
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Trudi on November 01, 2011, 07:01:48 PM
You never know till you get it out ............
Title: Re: TAG and a Hot Head?
Post by: Shirl on November 01, 2011, 07:25:22 PM
I have taken photos but will post the results in a new thread. And Trudi, its not as nice as yours :) ;D