Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 09:51:36 AM

Title: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 09:51:36 AM
I bought some of this from tuffers, but how do I tell them apart?
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 11:19:12 AM
Dot the end of the rod on a white bead - heat it hard and if it has a grey spreading ring around it it's charcoal and if it begins to web it's tuxedo.  That's why it's so cheap, the factory couldn't tell it apart in the rod.  ;)
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 12:32:24 PM
Thanks Sue :)

Hmmmm....now I am confused.

I already had a bit of charcoal, and that webs! Perhaps that was mixed up as well!

I need to do a bit of testing and labelling I think! (I am going to end up with a lot of white dotty beads ) ;D :D ;D
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: The Tartan Trout on October 27, 2011, 12:34:40 PM
tuxedo doesn't etch...if thats any good
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Kalorlo on October 27, 2011, 12:36:00 PM
Hang about, I didn't think tuxedo webbed?
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 01:03:04 PM
Quote from: The Tartan Trout on October 27, 2011, 12:34:40 PM
tuxedo doesn't etch...if thats any good

Thanks Sarah but I havent got any etching fluid! :)

I have done a little test as Sue recommds, of the charcoal i already had from 6 months ago and its dark black and webs.

One of the cheap deal of mixed rods goes a bit grey on a white bead, so that must be the real charcoal.

SO it seems like the charcoal I bought about 6 months ago was mixed up as well because its labelled charcoal on the tissue paper that it comes in from CIM. But I supose it muxt be Tuxedo.

How long has this mix up been going on, and how many of us are using the "wrong" black?
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 27, 2011, 02:17:24 PM
I bought some tuxedo a while ago because someone said it doesnt web, and stays quite black, even when pulled thin. well mine didnt, it went blueish like normal black does. and I think slightly fuzzy also.

dont think charcoal looks blue when pulled thin.
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: ScarletLeonard on October 27, 2011, 05:57:23 PM
hades is the webbing true black from cim.

tuxedo (which I have by the bucket) is slightly blue-y purple. pull a thin stringer and hold it up to the light you should see the colour and it's also slightly transparent.

but yeah tuxedo doesn't etch.
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 06:13:48 PM
Nah, it doesn't web like the lovely Hades, but when you first throw heat at it, it kinda separates in a web effect.  Then gets boring.  But the charcoal definitely gets a grey ring around it on white - although I don't think I've ever tried to heat it enough to web.  That's worth a try later.  I suppose if it was easy to tell them apart, they would have done it in the factory and not lost money over it  :P
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 27, 2011, 06:21:11 PM
I pulled a fine stringer of each, charcoal does not look blue, tuxedo does. think its probably the quickest, easiet way to test and separate your mix!
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Jolene on October 27, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
I made some tuxedo/peace twistie ages ago and the stripes were grey, made some recently and the stripes were purple...odd
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 27, 2011, 11:37:01 PM
I wonder if CIM got Hades mixed up as well, because my old charcoal stash is very black and it webs like crazy!
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: awrylemming on October 27, 2011, 11:38:47 PM
I wish they'd get something really expensive mixed up with something cheap  :P
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: helenfc on October 28, 2011, 07:37:54 AM
I have been using my charcoal/tuxedo mix and getting true black fine stringer. I'm starting to wonder if hades is in the mix, or some unique or something...its definitely not purple/blue to hold up to the light. According to the CIM website charcoal is pretty washed out http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=81 (http://www.creationismessy.com/color.aspx?id=81)
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 28, 2011, 08:48:49 AM
I did not buy my charcoal or my tuxedo that recently. could have been in the cim sale last year. the tuxedo a bit more recent than that, maybe 6 months.
dont think either are uniques, but I have a couple of charcoal unique rods.could try them too.

I couldnt see through the fine stringer of charcoal I pulled, however, there wasnt exactly alot of light flying around yesterday!
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 28, 2011, 10:53:48 AM
I have looked at my charcoal I got a while ago, it is labelled unique and i got it in the sale. I didnt realise it was last December, how the time flies!
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Shirl on October 28, 2011, 03:25:46 PM
I found this on CIM website

Charcoal is an extremely dark transparent grey.
Frantz's batch of Charcoal is an extremely dark transparent grey. Tuffnell's first batch of Charcoal in 2009 was a blue based formula. In 2010, we shipped the grey version to Tuffnell as well.

Messy Tuxedo is more black than both of these batches.
Title: Re: Charcoal/Tuxedo mix
Post by: Kalorlo on October 28, 2011, 07:24:24 PM
Aha, that clears things up a tad.