Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: SilverGems89 on October 25, 2011, 06:40:06 AM

Title: a nice yellow?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 25, 2011, 06:40:06 AM
So I am eagerly awaiting my first wage packet from my new job on thursday to do a nice big tuffer's order (just in time to take advantage of the 10% off effetre offer yipeee!) and would really like to add a nice opaque yellow to my stash, the only one i have currently is effetre bright acid yellow and, well, i think it is grotesque! So suggestions please? something not too bright but not too pastel....

;D
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: princess pink on October 25, 2011, 07:09:35 AM
Umm I like vetro odd lemon meringue or banana cream but you'd have to order from
Frantz
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on October 25, 2011, 07:34:20 AM
Quote from: SilverGems89 on October 25, 2011, 06:40:06 AM
the only one i have currently is effetre bright acid yellow and, well, i think it is grotesque! So suggestions please? something not too bright but not too pastel....

;D

Cant make any sensible suggestion on a nice yellow as not yet found one, but if you dont like acid yellow avoid daffodil as its very similar, I have both and never came up with anything nice to use them for

Anyone have any colour combination suggestions to use these yellows?
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Kalorlo on October 25, 2011, 07:40:19 AM
I like dark yellow and pastel yellow - they're warm, beginning to tend to light orange.

I dunno if Martin still has any Vetro banana cream left - that's a nice less acid yellow.
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: helenfc on October 25, 2011, 07:44:52 AM
Definitely Effetre Opaque 418. I cant remember what Tuffnells call it, but it is a lovely rich colour but not too bright. There is Opal Yellow too, but tis pricey :( xx
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 25, 2011, 08:11:50 AM
I'm not a good one to ask, becuse I actually like acid yellow! but then you know this.
but I do wonder which you have, because lately there is some paler stuff about, which I like, but I wanted the solid bright stuff

418 pastel yellow is not really pastel or yellow, its yummy though, its more of a pale orange
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on October 25, 2011, 08:41:39 AM
Quote from: MadelineBunyan on October 25, 2011, 08:11:50 AM
I'm not a good one to ask, becuse I actually like acid yellow! but then you know this.
but I do wonder which you have, because lately there is some paler stuff about, which I like, but I wanted the solid bright stuff

418 pastel yellow is not really pastel or yellow, its yummy though, its more of a pale orange

other than turquoise, any suggestions on what this acid yellow plays nice with? (certainly doesnt like ivory!)
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Shirley on October 25, 2011, 09:01:54 AM
Can I recommend one that's a bit different? Effetre Mimosa. It's one of the cool colours and Martin might still have some. There are two shades and the lighter one is a primrose shade. It's sort of translucent. My favourite yellow. :)
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Trudi on October 25, 2011, 09:11:31 AM
Have you tried etching the acid yellow ...... tis nice!
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 25, 2011, 09:27:12 AM
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6122/6034953969_2c140aa24e.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6034953969/)
acid yellow and more acid yellow (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6034953969/) by madelinebunyan (http://www.flickr.com/people/madelinebunyan/), on Flickr

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6066/6075963903_d7bbdbd732.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6075963903/)
flower lentil (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6075963903/) by madelinebunyan (http://www.flickr.com/people/madelinebunyan/), on Flickr

this ones what I think of as proper acid yellow, and I want some more!
the first pic, the top is this kind, and the bottom is the paler variety, which I also like.
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on October 25, 2011, 09:32:08 AM
Those are really lovely!

Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Lush! on October 25, 2011, 09:51:47 AM
Another vote for 418, although I agree its more orange than yellow - works great with sky blue though, lovely outline effect.

I love Mimosa too, especially over white.
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6018/5981310959_ab0e1cc434.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lushlampwork/5981310959/)
Effetre Testing (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lushlampwork/5981310959/) by LushLampwork (http://www.flickr.com/people/lushlampwork/), on Flickr
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Shirley on October 25, 2011, 09:53:01 AM
I never get mimosa that bright, Julie. It's probably with the white under. I like the subtlety of it as a yellow.
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Lush! on October 25, 2011, 09:55:38 AM
I don't think I really gave it much of a go on its own, the colour of the rod put me off!  I bet it would be great etched though ....
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: tinker on October 25, 2011, 10:32:52 AM
I can't get mimosa to do that even over White. It just looks like stringy yellow snot!
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: SilverGems89 on October 25, 2011, 05:35:08 PM
looks like i will be ordering some 418, thank you everyone for your suggestions  ;D (some mimosa might also sneak in there when i'm not looking  ;))
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Madam Steph on October 25, 2011, 06:45:16 PM
The middle spacers are 418, Gems

(http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/a_perfectly_pretty_poppy/My%20Lampworking%20History/myautumnalmanac-1.jpg)
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Blue Box Studio on October 25, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
Perhaps I might give yellow another chance - I seem to have lots of it and so far produced nothing I like.  Not tried etching, will give that a go.
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on October 26, 2011, 06:50:35 AM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on October 25, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
Perhaps I might give yellow another chance - I seem to have lots of it and so far produced nothing I like.  Not tried etching, will give that a go.

thinking the same - never used the etch solution either other than 2 test beads when it arrived!
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Pat from Canvey on October 26, 2011, 08:07:09 AM
Madeline, those beads etc are delicious.
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: MadelineBunyan on October 26, 2011, 09:30:33 AM
Thankyou

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6204/6123170767_f8484cdb17_m.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6123170767/)
yellow butterfly (http://www.flickr.com/photos/madelinebunyan/6123170767/) by madelinebunyan (http://www.flickr.com/people/madelinebunyan/), on Flickr

this is the paler one with red roof tile and black

I may possibly have ordered some banana and mimosa now...
Title: Re: a nice yellow?
Post by: Shirley on October 26, 2011, 10:44:50 AM
At Harrogate at the weekend I looked at the Fyrebirds table and realised there was no yellow there apart from a few bits of decoration on other beads. Might have to have a play :)