Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 23, 2011, 03:11:26 PM

Title: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 23, 2011, 03:11:26 PM
Has anyone any experience of working with this?.  I know the company is in the States, and they have lots of different kinds of glass supplies, but I can't find out whether their lampworking rods are coe 104 compatible. ... they have some great colours!
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: helbels on October 23, 2011, 03:12:26 PM
On the Fritipedia it says: Gaffer Coloured Glass Ltd. was incorporated in 1993 in Auckland, New Zealand. They make COE 96 glass. For lampworking they supply solid cane, veiled cane and frit. This is furnace glass, so the colours are very saturated. Gaffer Glass USA also have their own range of frit blends.

So nope, not compatible with 104, although the frit is in small quantities.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 03:20:54 PM
I use gaffer stringer with 104 too - it makes lovely dense petals for flowers, and you tend to use less than the frit.  It is useable in the same amounts as frit, but it can be easy to get carried away with stringer decoration and end up with a cracked bead.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 23, 2011, 03:31:04 PM
So would it be OK used on it's own, and annealed at the same temperature as 104?  I really like this..
http://www.etsy.com/listing/80871413/scottybeads-lampwork-beads-alka-focal   ...from Scottybeads
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 03:37:46 PM
I have quite a lot of 96 glass Pris - would you like some black, white and clear to use as bases for your Gaffer?  System 96 is pretty good too, and these have a sale on Messy 96 http://www.morettiandmore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=156_158_166_118 - the Pate sounds gross but is a gorgeous colour - they're good on postage costs too.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: helbels on October 23, 2011, 03:56:03 PM
Yeah you can use it on its own, no problem.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Kaz on October 23, 2011, 04:38:08 PM
I can't imagine it is THAT different to Reichenbach purple Rose???
Kazx
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 05:18:24 PM
There's a thread somewhere on LE Kaz - apparently it's quite different?  I love the Reich purple rose, but I do use a fair bit of 96 so wouldn't mind getting my mitts on some of the gaffer.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 23, 2011, 05:36:17 PM
Gaffer have a purple rose too, they are promoting that and the royal purple together, and showing test beads on their US site, but I can't find how to buy it.  Maybe they've sold out already.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Hotglass28 on October 23, 2011, 06:06:04 PM

So, no one remember little ole me then?

I have about 200 tons of the stuff  ;D

They have two new purples coming out. Despite me not lampworking at the mo, I will get my hands on those as soon as they hit Portsmouth Gaffer.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 06:27:03 PM
Mwah!  Sorry Denise  :(  Actually, I didn't realise you were still selling, but if you are, could I have a little product listy my dear???  And preorder some royal purple?  Etc etc etc.  I love 96, the colours are just more delicious.  ;D
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 23, 2011, 06:43:38 PM
That's marvellous!  Please do get some in for us, and the Chalcedony ones too!  I'll definitely want the purple and the purple rose, and Sue, I'll help you use up your stash of coe 96!  Hurrah!
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Hotglass28 on October 23, 2011, 10:59:15 PM

I'm not selling anymore my lovelies, but I do have a big stash of rods and frit in odd colours.

If Gaffer at Portsmouth have the new purples in stock then I will be buying 500grams of frit in purples for my personal stash   (to sit in the corner till I start lamping again properly)

I have loads of the chalcedony and C/ Blue.  I love looking at it all   ::)
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 11:10:04 PM
Well, if you could get us some rods while you're buying your frit?  Or give us some purchase details, grovel grovel  :-*
I hope you're able to torch soon hun, looking at it is fun, but melting it is funner.  And I apologise to all at the Oxford English Dictionary for that one  :P
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Sarah on October 23, 2011, 11:23:40 PM
I have a couple of rods of each of the new purples and some frit & powder courtesy of Becky who knows how much I love purple. I've only tried one which I think is royal purple but I'll check tomorrow. I love it - it doesn't devit in the same way as EDP or zimmerman purple rose. I do have some beads with the powder but no photo so I'll try & do that tomorrow. But these are the purples - the frit beads are gaffer's purple passion.

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6217/6237117573_b6126e5166.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/flameforcefive/6237117573/)

I haven't tried the Reichenbach so can't compare it to that.

Sarah
xxx
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 23, 2011, 11:31:00 PM
Ooooh, yummy!  Since my jewellery business is called Slurple, that probably gives you a general idea of how much I love purple  :D
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Chameleon on October 24, 2011, 08:01:02 AM
Denise, Im guessing the Chalcedony you have is an older batch then ? If so please may I buy some from you ? My recent batch isn't doing quite what I had hoped   ::)  :)
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Shirley on October 24, 2011, 08:14:43 AM
mmmmm........chalcedony........must revisit :)
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Pat from Canvey on October 26, 2011, 08:09:30 AM
I'm fortunate that Denise gave me two bundles last April and I'm using it sparingly to conserve it.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Hotglass28 on October 26, 2011, 04:32:46 PM

Pat, did you get any joy with the chalcedony colours?
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 26, 2011, 07:19:37 PM
I've been playing with some 96 thatSue sent me, and it's in the kiln now....not sure I've got much from the chalcedony, but I'll post pics tomorrow.  I must say I like the way the 96 handles....so far!
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Pat from Canvey on October 27, 2011, 07:37:58 AM
Quote from: Hotglass28 on October 26, 2011, 04:32:46 PM

Pat, did you get any joy with the chalcedony colours?
Yes and I love that it adds another dimension to my stock of COE 96 stained glass. Can you imagine how many black beads I could get from the sheet , (still 3ft x 2 ft after I've used some) of black fusible I still have together with lots of other coloured bits. As to why I have so much black, It was for putting black borders around my circular pot melts.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Princess Peggy (Priscilla McGirr) on October 27, 2011, 12:22:41 PM
Hi folks...here's what I made yesterday with the 96 glass...I used some intense black stringer which I thought might web, but it just made the whole thing rather dark...in fact I threw just about every glass Sue sent me at them, plus some reichenback 94 stringers, so the effect is rather messy and didn't really give the chalcedony a chance to bloom! In fact it remained obstinately brown in some places, and I had trouble with the white devitrifying as I got it so hot.

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6220/6285924284_a15a73f355.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50810791@N03/6285924284/)
Experiments with coe 96 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/50810791@N03/6285924284/) by Princess Peggy1 (http://www.flickr.com/people/50810791@N03/), on Flickr

Ah well, less is more, and I'll have another go some time soon.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Hotglass28 on October 27, 2011, 03:29:37 PM

Deff keep going with it.  I found it so fustrating at time but once in a blue moon it goes really pretty.  Those beads I made that I managed to get Chalcedony to work are like little gold wonders to me.  lol

Pat, I know you don't like Bullseye for sculptural work, but I have tons of flat glassBullseye. Looking forward to getting all my glass in one place next year. Instead of all over the place ::)

I like 96 gaffer too, plays nice  :)   



Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Pat from Canvey on October 29, 2011, 08:50:00 AM
Ah but I love the colours in those Pris. Each to his own Hey.
Title: Re: Gaffer Glass
Post by: Lakelady on October 29, 2011, 09:11:31 AM
Wowee!  There is a whole new world of glass out there I haven't had a go at yet!  So much choice....so little time!