Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: bbbeads on October 19, 2011, 08:14:17 PM

Title: devardi glass
Post by: bbbeads on October 19, 2011, 08:14:17 PM
Just bought a small batch of devardi glass to try out.  Would appreciate anyone's opinions or advice.
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Fruddy on October 19, 2011, 08:32:42 PM
It's nice glass, but if you are used to Effetre etc., be wary of it - it is very very VERY shocky!
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 19, 2011, 08:36:07 PM
Very very very very very very shocky.  :P
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: k00m on October 19, 2011, 08:41:19 PM
Here's an older FH thread (http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27327.0) about it.
And here's an very long LE thread (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121271) about it.

I've never tried it myself but it looks like they have some lovely colours.
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: bbbeads on October 19, 2011, 08:44:40 PM
Will keep that 'shocky' word in mind when I try it out.  Hasn't arrived yet.
Thank you
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Pat from Canvey on October 20, 2011, 07:46:31 AM
Could always preheat in the kiln before using to see if the shockiness improves.
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 20, 2011, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: Pat from Canvey on October 20, 2011, 07:46:31 AM
Could always preheat in the kiln before using to see if the shockiness improves.

Sadly Pat, this is one of those occasions when it doesn't make any difference whatsoever.  Not all of the colours are shocky, but when you get one you need to duck!
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Madam Steph on October 20, 2011, 11:34:40 AM
Now I'm scared!!!

I'm waiting on a Devardi order, and I'm the world's biggest scaredy-cat re thermal shocky stuff

Linda  :(
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 20, 2011, 11:41:43 AM
Nah, you'll be fine - the worst culprit is the devardi equivalent of EDP.  Absolutely delicious colour, but like EDP, shocky.  So if it looks like it, do lots of waving around at the top of the flame.  Their glass doesn't like overheating anyway, it tends to burn the colour out, so always be gentle and slow with it, and I tend not to mix it with other manufacturers either.  I live in hope that they'll improve their glass, as the colour palette is wonderful.
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Madam Steph on October 22, 2011, 11:53:10 AM
Well, my Devardi glass and mandrel arrived this morning.

I have labelled it up and put it separate in a jar and so far I have sat looking at it 'cos I'm too scaredy-cat to try it now :'(
The colours look lovely though, so I WILL try it today (remembering to work it cool so I don't destroy them)

Linda.......shiver!!!!!! x

(I think I will get something heavy on though and wear my kevlar gloves  ::) )
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: awrylemming on October 22, 2011, 01:25:46 PM
Melt it woman!  I'd been told it was shocky before I worked it, didn't stop me  ;D  Just watch for the purpley edp fing.  I didn't get burned by this glass though, it just fell apart on the desk - it was a shard of CIM which did for me  :o
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Blue Box Studio on October 22, 2011, 01:47:17 PM
Just the glass to try out on Kirsty then?

Mental note, don't buy Devardi.
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Madam Steph on October 22, 2011, 02:06:26 PM
Quote from: awrylemming on October 22, 2011, 01:25:46 PM
Melt it woman!  I'd been told it was shocky before I worked it, didn't stop me  ;D  Just watch for the purpley edp fing.  I didn't get burned by this glass though, it just fell apart on the desk - it was a shard of CIM which did for me  :o

It was Effetre Trans Ink Blue and C.I.M. Crocus that put the fear of glass into me, Sue.

I've bought pinky stuff from Devardi. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm psyching myself up for it as I type  :-\

L x
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: bbbeads on October 22, 2011, 08:46:17 PM
Let me know how you get along please.  I'm a bit worried now.  How long was the delivery?
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: Madam Steph on October 22, 2011, 09:23:14 PM
I ordered and paid on 9th October, so 13 days. Not bad.

I was slightly wary when I fired up but the first rod was ok, second pinged off twice then settled and the third was fine

The colours washed out a bit, but not bad


Linda x
Title: Re: devardi glass
Post by: bbbeads on October 22, 2011, 11:37:19 PM
Looking forward to receiving mine.  Glad you got on OK.  Thanks for info