Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Mand on September 23, 2011, 04:09:15 PM

Title: Brown glass?
Post by: Mand on September 23, 2011, 04:09:15 PM
Hi again,

I have been making more and more brown coloured beads this autumn - I have plenty of dark, med and light amber, and dark brown bog standard poo coloured (sorry) effetre.  Are there any other minky-shade browns out there which are inexpensive? _ I'm thinking of etching which prob puts CIM Mink out of the picture?  Am just SO NOT a brown /green person as I usually like clear, bright colours ::)



Does anyone have any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Mand x
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 04:19:40 PM
Can't remember how well it etches ... bit CIM Stoneground is lovely .... and if you can still get it, Canyon de Chelly .... oh and Effetre red roof tile is lush :)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 04:21:40 PM
This one's Stoneground ...

(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6163/6174935054_213f01cb02.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanbeads/6174935054/)
129_0066 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/urbanbeads/6174935054/) by Mad Cat Glass (http://www.flickr.com/people/urbanbeads/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Mand on September 23, 2011, 04:30:21 PM
Mmm, yummy. Will give that ago, thanks. ;D  Any tips on a darker brown please?
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 04:31:55 PM
Didn't Effetre make a dark red or purply brown ?? Can't remember what the proper name was ...
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 04:33:42 PM
591452 Opaque Dark Brown Red
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Mand on September 23, 2011, 04:47:41 PM
Thank you!  :-*
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 04:59:48 PM
heh .. no probs :)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Krysia@No98 on September 23, 2011, 05:07:45 PM

have you looked at CiM Maple?

I am having the same problem.

Effetre seem to just do crayon chirpy brown and nothing more sophisticated.

(Would you like me to go through my colour chart this evening? )
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: paintboxcrafts on September 23, 2011, 05:11:03 PM
Cim maple is nice and it etches from what I remember.
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: jammie on September 23, 2011, 05:23:54 PM
That's a lovely bead Les!  :) I've got some stoneground stashed.
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Les on September 23, 2011, 05:25:12 PM
I adore stoneground .... it's very reactive with silver too :)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: sarah t on September 23, 2011, 07:16:55 PM
for earthy browns i like sediment and mud slide
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Madam Steph on September 23, 2011, 07:20:38 PM
One of my faves.. Lauscha Cocoa. 

It's good enough to drink  :)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: ScarletLeonard on September 23, 2011, 10:25:21 PM
Quote from: Madam Steph on September 23, 2011, 07:20:38 PM
One of my faves.. Lauscha Cocoa. 

It's good enough to drink  :)

second that one.

or heat the snot out of CiM peace in a slightly reducing flame, it goes streaky brown then whack a thin layer of amber over it.
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Lotti on September 23, 2011, 10:39:53 PM
I was meaning to do browns today too, that time of year! I love roof tile red and it etches ok, not sure about brown red and etching though or chocolate brown. Quite fond of the transparents.  Of corset there is always that old favorite striking terracotta (aka tongue pink).:)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Mand on September 24, 2011, 09:54:54 AM
Ah yes I forgot I have some tongue pink  ;)  Anyone have any piccies of mudslide, roof tile red beads and Lauscha Cocoa beds please.  Would be interested to see what they look like.

Not sure re CIM Maple - isn't that one similar to the effetere amber shades?  Or am I getting confusious - (highly likely! ;)

Yes please to the colour chart check Krysia - no rush though.

cheers m'dears.
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Madam Steph on September 24, 2011, 12:52:16 PM
This is Lauscha Cocoa with Effetre Copper Green, Mand.
The light reflection doesnt show quite how rich the brown is, sorry

(http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/a_perfectly_pretty_poppy/My%20Lampworking%20History/LauschaCocoawithEffetreCopperGreen-1.jpg)

Linda x
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: flowerjasper on September 24, 2011, 12:56:55 PM
lauscha cocoa is a lovely milky brown, not cheap though but lovely, you can get some from heather at lauscha.co.uk
i am not a fan of the effetre browns....
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Lotti on September 24, 2011, 01:59:09 PM
Hi.  This is roof tile red with light amber, sorry not much light in here today.  Probably a bit more orangy brown?  I like it etched too.

(http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww22/northdevondumpling/Frit%20happens/IMG_0627edit.jpg)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Shirley on September 24, 2011, 04:11:35 PM
love the Lauscha cocoa
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Madam Steph on September 24, 2011, 04:47:01 PM
Quote from: Shirley on September 24, 2011, 04:11:35 PM
love the Lauscha cocoa

Three more on the brown pallette from Lauscha. I haven't used these yet, but I will try them out this weekend.
They look like they will etch nicely

(http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/a_perfectly_pretty_poppy/My%20Lampworking%20History/100_0367-1.jpg)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Krysia@No98 on September 24, 2011, 05:53:39 PM
Quote from: Mand on September 24, 2011, 09:54:54 AM
Ah yes I forgot I have some tongue pink  ;)  Anyone have any piccies of mudslide, roof tile red beads and Lauscha Cocoa beds please.  Would be interested to see what they look like.

Not sure re CIM Maple - isn't that one similar to the effetere amber shades?  Or am I getting confusious - (highly likely! ;)

Yes please to the colour chart check Krysia - no rush though.

cheers m'dears.

CiM maple is similar to the ambers in the it is transparent but it is a lot more brown.

I shall look at getting photos in the next week or so  :)
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Mand on September 24, 2011, 05:57:03 PM
Mmm, the roof tile effetre and Lauschas - esp. the cocoa are looking rather tempting.  ;D

- Thanks all. xxx
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: Amber on September 25, 2011, 12:13:14 PM
Another vote for Sediment, etches beautifully too. I also like Cim Sepia (not the unique), that's a lovely light transparent brown.
Title: Re: Brown glass?
Post by: mizgeorge on September 25, 2011, 12:51:47 PM
Cocoa!! Gorgeous :)