After blowing me life savings on a torch, oxy-con and loads of other bits and pieces (but not a kiln), then spending night after night watching glassy stuff in YouTube and working each weekend to build my lampwork/jewellery workshop in my garage I have just made my first two beads. I don't have a clue what they look like because they are still in the annealing bubbles. I cannot find any information anywhere about how long they should be there, please someone put me out of my misery they have been in there about 3 hours now, can I take them out? :-\
Yep!! Go go go!!!
As a newbie replying yes go ahead and then take photo ;D ;D
Yes it's safe :)
So long as they weren't HUUUGE whoppers :)
Normal sized, round beads are usually OK to take out after a good hour or so .... well from what I remember anyway :)
HTH :)
Yep, about 45 mins is usually plenty!
i leave mine for about 4 hours, but my annealing bubbles are in a slow cooker and it gets pretty toasty in there! around the 4 hour mark they are about room temperature, but i tend to work quite big so i make sure they cool as slowly and for as long as possible, 3 hours should really be long enough for most beads so GO ;) :)
Well on all your heads be it, here goes ............... ;D
;D
well..........
You tease, Andy ;D
........................... ;D
:D this would be a great title for a novel...'The Newbie and the Annealing Bubbles' ....anyone any good at writing?
Just hang on it's coming.... and I can promise you all it won't be worth it!
You are an impatient lot, I had to go down to my purpose built workshop, unlock the doors 'cos I didn't want anyone walking off with me brand new Mega Minor, retrieve my first two ever beads from the bubbles, soak them, get them off the mandrels, clean them up, photograph them (piccies crap anyway) then crop it and photoshop it. Although it took a little time most of the time has been spent trying to get the picture on here..... help , someone please then you can all have a bloody good laugh!
(http://C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5CAdministrator%5CMy%20Documents%5CMy%20Pictures%5CBeads%5CIMAG0237.jpg) I hope this works, the blue one was first the orange/blue one second......... I think it all goes downhill from here!
Andy you have to copy and paste one of the links from the drop down box sorry I can't remember which one, you don't need to use any of the icons above just copy and paste
If it's any consolation Andy I can never get my pictures to come up on here either!
It's easier to get the code on flickr ;D
Upload your pics to Photobucket then copy and paste the IMG code, or Flickr then C&P the BB code :)
..... why are we waiting .........
should i go to bed or wait a bit longer ???..i know photobucket can be a bit slow but ....
''taps foot ''
My head is going to explode! mind you I think a picture of that may look better than my first attempts, I will get them on here somehow but time is marching on and time for me to pitter patter up the stairs. So, I'll try again tomorrow .... night,night all :-*
night :-*
Night, then :(
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23036.0
:)
if its any help this is how i put piccies up,
i have two tabs open , one for frit and one for photobucket.
as julie says click on the img under the photo you want on photobucket so its copied, then bring up the frit tab and post the picture by pressing "ctrl v"
you will soon get the hang of it.
we use photobucket as it resizes the photos for you ,
hope this helps
sandy
(http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6141079680_8cefb36a61.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67411668@N05/6141079680/)
Number one and number two! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/67411668@N05/6141079680/) by andy.roberts37 (http://www.flickr.com/people/67411668@N05/), on Flickr
Fingers crossed
Tch! No 1 and no 2 are better than what I was doing after six months. (Or now!) And the piccies are better too. Harumph. Off for an enormous strop now. ;D
Lovely beads by the way ;)
Your first attemps are great, Andy.
Thanks for persevering and letting us view them.
Nice colours and bluestone, btw
Linda x
oooh look at those they are great ;D
First beads!!! :o They're great!! Think I need to get back to my shedio...
Brilliant!!! :)
Thankyou all for your kind words, its amazing what you can do with Photoshop... only joking, I was quite chuffed but I need to get my gas/oxy set right. Back to YouTube unless any of you can give me any guidence, my guess is I need to experiment with it a little.
The great thing about all this is that I can see that because of this brilliant forum that if I get stuck I know where to go for an answer in minutes, again thanks to all. :)
Wow, they are great! Far better than my first beads...and very, very many that I have made since! Looking forward to seeing more. :)
worth the wait ,well done and managed to post pic well done again ;)
re flame what's the issue ?
Thanks Sarah, I think I have it sorted, I had my gas too low and was strugling to get enough heat. I turned it up a shade and hey presto, I even managed to do a clear hollow bead as the third bead in my collection .... I'm learning gradually but still got many miles to go I think!
Those are fantastic!! What an amazing start.
The best setup advice I've read for a new system is from Sean, at the bottom of page one of this thread:
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27229.0
They're great ! ;D
WOW!!! Brilliant beads - lesson please?! ;D :P ;)