Frit-Happens !

Business / Marketing Advice and Tips => Put all your business tips, advice and questions in here => Topic started by: sparrow on September 05, 2011, 06:19:19 PM

Poll
Question: What is the minimum taking per day at a fair you would be happy with?
Option 1: Stall fee back votes: 1
Option 2: Stall fee + <£50 votes: 1
Option 3: Stall fee + £51-£100 votes: 7
Option 4: Stall fee + £101-£150 votes: 11
Option 5: Stall fee + £151-£200 votes: 8
Option 6: Stall fee + £201-£300 votes: 10
Option 7: Stall fee + £301-£500 votes: 5
Option 8: Stall fee + £500+ votes: 5
Title: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: sparrow on September 05, 2011, 06:19:19 PM
Right.....I know there are lots of caveats here - fairs we do to do someone a favour, new fairs we try, fairs that are good for reputation, but not necessarily for earnings, fairs to pick up teaching...but I wondered, on average, and going by *takings* (not profit, because I think that would complicate matters further), what's your answer? What amount spells the turning point between 'waste of time' and 'worth getting out of bed for'?

I realise it's quite a personal question, but I hope one that secretly interests a few people, so an anonymous vote might give us all some insights :)
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: MangoBeads on September 05, 2011, 08:16:33 PM
I think it depends a lot on the stand cost :) some we pay up to £400 for so obviously we would want to come away a very decent amount for that to be worthwhile  ::) so i have answered based on a stand cost of approx £100
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: sparrow on September 05, 2011, 08:17:54 PM
Thanks Manda, I tried to account for that by saying 'stall fee + xyz' - I know exactly what you mean  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: Helen G on September 05, 2011, 08:36:14 PM
I answered based on a £100 stand too  ;)
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: The Tartan Trout on September 05, 2011, 09:01:34 PM
Me too ladies. I have a 3 day one this weekend. My stand was £102 so we will see. It is the local RHS gardens and I have done it lots of times before at Christmas and Easter. This should be interesting as a Sept one. I tend to do well on Sat and Sundays. Fridays tends to be wee old biddys saying that everything is pretty but not worth buying stuff for themselves at their age lol and their grandkids all seem to get money or vouchers at Christmas. I will update on Sun night
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: laurat on September 05, 2011, 11:36:45 PM
if there are people there I a happy with that!

So far i have just done small events but hoping to get onto do some bgger ones next year.
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: Lotti on September 06, 2011, 06:36:07 AM
 :o  So far my stall costs have bee £10 a week (would have been £8 but I haven't got my own table).  Have another one booked for November which is the princely sum of £24  :o :o.  At the mo I would be overjoyed to make £50, but who knows maybe today, nasty wet day, what are folks on holiday to do (yes they are still here) but go to a nice indoor market!  ;) ;D
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: nemeton on September 06, 2011, 09:19:46 AM
I don't do fairs much any more and bead fairs may be different from craft fairs, but my 'minimum' aim was always to double the pitch fee (so I could then at least feel I'd made as much from the fair as the organizer had).

But even this didn't happen very often... so I don't do fairs much any more  ::)
I miss the direct contact with customers, and the camaraderie with other stallholders... I don't miss lugging the boxes and the table around though!
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
I think that you need to factor in a percentage for your other expenses - the cost of glass, gas electricity as well so your takings of  £100- £150 really only comes down to perhaps £70 'wages' depending on how you work out your pricing - but then we've had this discussion on a different thread if I remember rightly.....

And yest it depends very much on the type of event and where you are......

Good luck at Rosemoor - I hope the weather improves.
Lotti - are you doing the craft fair in Tavistock in November?

Sue
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: The Tartan Trout on September 06, 2011, 02:03:42 PM
Quote from: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
I think that you need to factor in a percentage for your other expenses - the cost of glass, gas electricity as well so your takings of  £100- £150 really only comes down to perhaps £70 'wages' depending on how you work out your pricing - but then we've had this discussion on a different thread if I remember rightly.....

And yest it depends very much on the type of event and where you are......

Good luck at Rosemoor - I hope the weather improves.
Lotti - are you doing the craft fair in Tavistock in November?

Sue
I am in Tavistock at the town hall Dec 2nd and 3rd. Nice warm venue :)
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: Veebee on September 06, 2011, 02:07:41 PM
I don't even seem to be able to find any craft fairs to do in central Exeter, let alone try and work out what might constitute a good one  ::) However I like Lynn's suggestion of at least getting double the table fee  :)
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: Lotti on September 06, 2011, 03:00:20 PM
Quote from: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 01:34:49 PM
I think that you need to factor in a percentage for your other expenses - the cost of glass, gas electricity as well so your takings of  £100- £150 really only comes down to perhaps £70 'wages' depending on how you work out your pricing - but then we've had this discussion on a different thread if I remember rightly.....

And yest it depends very much on the type of event and where you are......

Good luck at Rosemoor - I hope the weather improves.
Lotti - are you doing the craft fair in Tavistock in November?

Sue

I guess one day it will come, but today made double the pitch, but a very wet day.  I am not at Tavi, but will be at Holsworthy in November and looks like there might be one starting up at Black Torrington soon, so will hope to get in there.  Have to say I do love it even if it just the banter between the other stall holders (they are quite mad at Hatherleigh!). :)
Title: Re: What constitutes a good fair for you?
Post by: SRJ on September 06, 2011, 07:55:06 PM
Quote from: Veebee on September 06, 2011, 02:07:41 PM
I don't even seem to be able to find any craft fairs to do in central Exeter, let alone try and work out what might constitute a good one  ::)

Have you tried through the Craft Hub? And then there is the annual shindig on the Cathedral Green.....

Sue