Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:40:32 PM

Title: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:40:32 PM
Just a simple question, is Tuffnells Orange Iris the same as Raku. I know raku has been given lots of different names but is this one of them.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Billie on July 10, 2007, 01:41:48 PM
Mais oui!  ;D  I got some months back after double checking with Martin  ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 10, 2007, 01:43:30 PM
yep, and its the devil in disguise..............beadysam has some dark raku which is a bit easier to get results and she has a gorgeous gorgeous raku blend too which gives heavenly results
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:43:54 PM
Bugger!!!! I was hoping it wasn't. Then it wouldn't be my fault that it wasn't doing anything apart from going a dark yucky brown!!!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: tanok on July 10, 2007, 01:43:30 PM
yep, and its the devil in disguise..............beadysam has some dark raku which is a bit easier to get results and she has a gorgeous gorgeous raku blend too which gives heavenly results

Ummmm - May have to give it a go especially as a little bird told me that we were moving about 10 minutes drive from her as well!! I think I might become her newest stalker!!!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 10, 2007, 01:46:11 PM
How are you using it???

It's really nice when rolled onto the surface - then I blow on mine to get the colours to react. It's also nice when melsted onto a rod and then pulled & mealted round a bead!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 10, 2007, 01:46:44 PM
Ekk - you could geet arrested for that - LOL
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Billie on July 10, 2007, 01:47:39 PM
I find a raku stringer easier...

Sam's raku mix is brilliant  ;D ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 10, 2007, 01:48:05 PM
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3052.msg56757#new

Just looked under the silver leaf thread in this section - have a look!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:49:17 PM
Quote from: shine-on2 on July 10, 2007, 01:46:11 PM
How are you using it???

It's really nice when rolled onto the surface - then I blow on mine to get the colours to react. It's also nice when melsted onto a rod and then pulled & mealted round a bead!

Well I've jsut been rolling a small bead in the frit then getting it really hot and blowing on it but it just looks like i burnt it. Not even going black just brown

Quote from: Billie on July 10, 2007, 01:47:39 PM
I find a raku stringer easier...

Sam's raku mix is brilliant  ;D ;)

I haven't tried stringer yet - must give it a go this afternoon or tomorrow
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 10, 2007, 01:52:17 PM
Quote from: shine-on2 on July 10, 2007, 01:48:05 PM
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3052.msg56757#new

Just looked under the silver leaf thread in this section - have a look!

Thats great!!! Going to give it a go now
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Mary on July 10, 2007, 05:36:45 PM
You want the brown! Then you reheat it, and the colours appear. You don't really get the colours unless you've been through the brown. Good luck!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 10, 2007, 07:12:51 PM
What Mary says - if you get the brown you are just one stage off of the colours!

I have more success working from the rod or from stringers from frit if that helps...
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beads-on-toast on July 10, 2007, 09:35:00 PM
Raku
is a beast!!!

i have worked with the frit and got some fantastic results but at the moment it is very hit and miss.

try swirling the raku into the base colour and it loves to be shaped.x x

(http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o262/beads-on-toast/rakushells2may07.jpg)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 10, 2007, 09:59:09 PM
What colours does everyone use their raku on?  Black is the obvious one but I love it on some of the special reds / corals too.
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beads-on-toast on July 10, 2007, 10:13:57 PM
You have inspired me to do some raku frit testing Sam!!!

stayed tuned
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 10, 2007, 10:27:58 PM
Cool! ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 11, 2007, 10:16:42 AM
Ooooh I may have to do that too.
I usually use it on blue or black or amber...

I also have some raku shards I could do with playing with.
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 11, 2007, 11:55:17 AM
*gasp* I want raku shards, where do you get them,,,can you remember petal???
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 11, 2007, 12:42:42 PM
Make some hun!  Theres a shards tut kicking around somewhere.... ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 11, 2007, 01:00:01 PM
I dont have any rods though! :-\
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 11, 2007, 01:02:14 PM
y'know that big chunk I sent ya?  Pull some rods - if you dare LOL!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 11, 2007, 01:23:28 PM
Nooo I couldnt, it sits on my mantlepiece and tips me the wink every now and again, its tooooo precious to put near a flame ;D
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 11, 2007, 04:16:12 PM
I'll take a piccy of the big chunk I've got to make you jealous! ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Caroline on July 11, 2007, 04:25:06 PM
Quote from: tanok on July 11, 2007, 11:55:17 AM
*gasp* I want raku shards, where do you get them,,,can you remember petal???

do you want me to make you some?
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 11, 2007, 04:29:59 PM
ooo yurs purleeeeesse, that would be lovely :-*
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Caroline on July 11, 2007, 04:45:56 PM
i'll get on it, i'm quite good at making shards, most of my vessels end up as them :D
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 11, 2007, 04:47:22 PM
no no, being the artist you are you can claim you make vessel shaped shards ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 11, 2007, 05:25:42 PM
I bought mine, I am lazy :-) they werent too expensive either.

from http://www.anibeads.com

Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Caroline on July 11, 2007, 05:48:49 PM
Quote from: tanok on July 11, 2007, 04:47:22 PM
no no, being the artist you are you can claim you make vessel shaped shards ;)

hehehe, don't think that'll wash
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Ilona on July 12, 2007, 02:33:56 AM
Wow I got some fantastic results blowing on the bead, beautiful colours came out, then I made a slight mistake holding the mandrel and burnt my top lip.

I won't make that mistake again!

I have now a very sore upper lip that has blistered and burst!!!!

Would a fan work instead of blowing on it?
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 12, 2007, 10:45:20 AM
Oh no? are you okay? a burnt lip sound very painful!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Ilona on July 12, 2007, 12:20:01 PM
Hi, yes it's not too bad today, l put petrolium jelly straight on it. Hubby went mad with me though!!!!!!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 12, 2007, 12:37:19 PM
ouch - you look after yourself okay?!

do you know the lavender oil trick for burns btw? its fantastic on any burn...
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 12, 2007, 01:16:14 PM
Quote from: Lopo on July 12, 2007, 02:33:56 AM
Wow I got some fantastic results blowing on the bead, beautiful colours came out, then I made a slight mistake holding the mandrel and burnt my top lip.

I won't make that mistake again!

I have now a very sore upper lip that has blistered and burst!!!!

Would a fan work instead of blowing on it?

Eek hope that you're ok -I've not done that but I'm sure it's painful!!  Aloe Vera is very good for burns - hope that you cooled your lipd down - difficult place to put under running water!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 12, 2007, 01:20:06 PM
Quote from: *rowanberry* on July 11, 2007, 05:25:42 PM
I bought mine, I am lazy :-) they werent too expensive either.

from http://www.anibeads.com



I've never used shards - what are they like to work with??
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 12, 2007, 02:07:51 PM
I havent tried to be honest - they're sitting there unused! I am gonna send a few to our sal to see what she can do with them...
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:37:09 PM
This is to show tan my big one...
::)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/beadysam/rakurodend.jpg)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/beadysam/rakurod.jpg)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 12, 2007, 04:50:51 PM
woah!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 12, 2007, 04:57:22 PM
notjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealousnotjealous





JEALOUS
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I can stroke it whenever I want..... ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Stacy on July 12, 2007, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I can stroke it whenever I want..... ;)


Peter says that to me all the time - not sure what he means!!
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Billie on July 12, 2007, 06:20:22 PM
Quote from: stacyemma on July 12, 2007, 05:50:15 PM
Quote from: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I can stroke it whenever I want..... ;)


Peter says that to me all the time - not sure what he means!!

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!  Now that generated a dirty chuckle here in Hertfordshire  ;D ;D
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on July 12, 2007, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I can stroke it whenever I want..... ;)

Thats really rather cruel :'(

I can lick the screen I s'pose :-\
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: *rowanberry* on July 12, 2007, 06:27:49 PM
it does look edible actually...
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 08:38:16 PM
Mmmmmmmm, smoooooooth........ ;)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: beads-on-toast on July 12, 2007, 09:38:44 PM
This is what i got with my raku today

(http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o262/beads-on-toast/mismatch1.gif)
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 12, 2007, 09:59:35 PM
Quote from: tanok on July 12, 2007, 06:21:08 PM
Quote from: beadysam on July 12, 2007, 04:58:05 PM
I can stroke it whenever I want..... ;)

Thats really rather cruel :'(

I can lick the screen I s'pose :-\

Have you tried getting help??
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Funky Cow on July 12, 2007, 10:04:18 PM
Help??? - don't bother with that.... MORE GLASS, MORE GLASS, and some raku shards ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Trudi on July 12, 2007, 10:15:22 PM
easy tiger
Title: Re: Orange Iris = Raku???
Post by: Sulis (Hazel) on July 12, 2007, 10:24:53 PM
Wow Anna - your latest raku beads look gorgeous. I'm still trying to get those sort of colours - your work always inspires me!  x