Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: firedinglass on November 28, 2010, 08:53:16 AM

Title: Tumbling Glass
Post by: firedinglass on November 28, 2010, 08:53:16 AM
 I have a drum tumbler that i used with shot to tumble silver to polish it.  I was wondering if i could use this to tumble my beads if i replaced the shot with something else?  Has anyone tried this and what medium did you use instead of shot?  I'm assuming the result will be like sea glass... :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: sparrow on November 28, 2010, 08:58:50 AM
Yup, you can use sand, but it'll take a fair while :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: firedinglass on November 28, 2010, 09:15:07 AM
 Oh it might be an idea then  -   Do you mean just ordinary sand from the garden centre?  When you say it will take some time, do you mean... 1 hour or hours and hours and hours and hours.....    In another post it suggested using pebbles and grit, could i use pebbles from the beach and sand or do i need to buy grit from somewhere?:) :) :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: mizgeorge on November 28, 2010, 09:44:18 AM
I've had good results with wet and dry paper cut into little bits witb water in the tumbler for glass, rather than grit or sand. No worries about contamination if you haven't got a second barrel as well
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Pat from Canvey on November 28, 2010, 10:35:25 AM
You can get the best results by using tumbling grits but best if you use a separate barrel. You can always use any excess to clean your beads. Dip wet mandrel in grit and use to clean bead of release. Have a look at http://www.ukge.com/uk/grits.asp  and similar sites.  These are fused bits of bottle glass tumbled to resemble sea glass, (http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1426/5604171/21206591/356437505.jpg)
Lots of bits of bottle were fused in a terracotta plant saucer, broken up and then tumbled.
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: ★★Terri★★ on November 29, 2010, 09:14:00 AM
I use some stones and a dash of cerium oxide.

The 'tumbled stones'  I got yonks ago for scattering decoratively around candles and flowers and things - but you can used any smooth stones I suppose.  You can get bags of these stones quite cheaply in places like Ikea and Dunelm Mill.  The cerium oxide is a 'polishing compound' used in the last stage of rock tumbling - but it does not polish the glass beads, the process leaves them nice and matt with a satin smooth finish, not like seaglass.

(http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt241/terrihickey/beads/tumbledetched.jpg)

I use the same process for my porcelain beads.

I  have found that the 'etched' effect is achieved in about 4 or 5 hours on glass, and further tumbling does not make any noticable difference - unlike the porcelain which takes days to get the right look.

For a seaglass finish I would just tumble with the stones and leave out the cerium oxide.
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: firedinglass on November 29, 2010, 10:05:38 AM
Great tips and info, many thanks! :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: paintboxcrafts on January 06, 2011, 10:19:02 AM
I am also thinking of trying this out. Can you tell me is the cerium oxide in powder form or liquid? I'm not sure which one to get?
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Kaz on January 06, 2011, 10:32:19 AM
I'd be interested too as I am thinking of getting another drum for my tumbler and tumbling rather than etching as I really feel quite twitchy when I am using the etching solution and I often have a lot of beads to etch.
Kazx
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Cecilia on January 06, 2011, 10:51:54 AM
Hi - I just use garden gravel. I use a mix of slightly larger "pebbles" and then grit - smaller stuff like for the top of plant pots. The only problem with the grit is I have had it get stuck in the mandrel holes and it can be hard to get out without chipping the beads. It all takes a couple of days but I can't resist looking a few times before they are done.
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Barbara on January 06, 2011, 02:21:03 PM
I use medium aquarium gravel and white fused alumina FEPA 180 with a little water. At the moment it takes 8 hour but I am experimenting with the amount fused alumina and hoping for a little time saving.
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: ★★Terri★★ on January 06, 2011, 06:45:35 PM
Quote from: paintboxcrafts on January 06, 2011, 10:19:02 AM
I am also thinking of trying this out. Can you tell me is the cerium oxide in powder form or liquid? I'm not sure which one to get?

I use powdered - got it from a rock tumbling supplier (on Ebay I think).
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Enchanted Cobwebs on January 09, 2011, 03:27:29 PM
I have some coarse tumble media that was supposed to give a matte effect on silver, didnt work for me because of the shape of the items I was makimng so maybe I might be able to use it on beads! I have been thinking about etching fluid but I'd prefer not to use any chemicals so I will have a go and let you know
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Ciel on February 13, 2011, 01:07:52 AM
I wrote an article a while back on my blog that describes how I tumble my lampwork beads and it may help - Tumbling Glass Beads (http://www.cielcreations.co.uk/blog/tutorials/tumbling-glass-beads/). I use a drum just for this purpose, so it keeps everything separate.

Happy tumbling! :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: flaming beads on March 05, 2011, 10:27:51 AM
Quote from: Ciel on February 13, 2011, 01:07:52 AM
I wrote an article a while back on my blog that describes how I tumble my lampwork beads and it may help - Tumbling Glass Beads (http://www.cielcreations.co.uk/blog/tutorials/tumbling-glass-beads/). I use a drum just for this purpose, so it keeps everything separate.

Happy tumbling! :)


I love your tumbled beads.. :)
Title: Re: Tumbling Glass
Post by: Pandanimal on March 06, 2011, 11:38:50 AM
I tumble all my pebbles and seaglass style beads. I use Silicon carbide in either 220 or 80 size grit and add some plastic pellets in with water and a small amount of washing up liquid. I like the way that you still get shininess in any indents which etching fluid would not give you. You do get a rougher texture to the beads than with etching acid too. I tumble for at least 2 hours then get them out and see if I like the look.
(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_UGYzrfuLAuQ/TDWMRt9UjJI/AAAAAAAABzg/8PmeivwlYrk/s400/DSCF7245.JPG) (https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_UGYzrfuLAuQ/TDRga0SnThI/AAAAAAAABxY/VAtKzzAxM6Y/s400/DSCF7197.JPG) (https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_UGYzrfuLAuQ/TDWNWq_g6eI/AAAAAAAABz8/2kyOvDZenkk/s400/DSCF7253.JPG)