Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: bubblefizz on May 24, 2007, 11:09:17 PM

Title: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 24, 2007, 11:09:17 PM
I thought id give some dichroic a try, i bought 1  Moretti Rod 2mm £4.17 from warm glass http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=734   (http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=734)

but how the hell do you use it LOL  ??? ::) :-\ its impossible to use it with out it going in the flame :-\
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Mary on May 24, 2007, 11:34:01 PM
You heat the non-dichroic side.
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 25, 2007, 12:00:39 AM
Mary i did that, but how do you melt it in?
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: FroggyBead on May 25, 2007, 06:02:14 AM
apply with clear and then melt in!
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 25, 2007, 10:17:01 AM
i shall try again thanks vika!
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: glassworks on May 25, 2007, 10:34:56 AM
please show us the pics - as mike has a really cool dichroic product he would like to carry - but as i have tried it myself before i'm not sure what the demand will be?..

??? 8)
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Mary on May 25, 2007, 11:58:18 AM
Sorry I'm late getting back! You should direct the flame to the plain side, and apply it dichroic side down, so you are only heating the clear glass. It's pretty tricky though, I've not used it much.
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Trudi on May 25, 2007, 01:52:24 PM
Hi I bought some from Martin and I haven't used it yet - bit nervous about it - I'd like to use it more like a stringer but it is a flat piece of glass and quite thick - I haven't got glass cutters, but is it possible to perhaps score it and break it up into thinner pieces??

Bubblefiz - would love to know how you get on with this!

Trudi

Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: doubleglazed on May 25, 2007, 03:32:02 PM
hi my pall brought me some dicro rods back from her holls in the states i have tried several times and failed maybee i have had the flame to hot or do you need to let the bead cool down a tad as when i have tried the dicro burns off
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 25, 2007, 06:50:48 PM
ok i tried with clear encasing and still didnt work.
i tried encasing the rod and it still didnt work  :-\ im gutted £4+ for a 1,  2mm rod  :'(

any more suggestions?
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Mary on May 25, 2007, 06:54:55 PM
You have to be careful not to burn it in the flame, and not to stretch it too much, or over heat it. Finicky stuff! I gave up on my strips, I wasn't getting the results I wanted.
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 25, 2007, 06:57:21 PM
Ahhh Mary i was stretching it  ::)
ok gonna try again without the dichroic getting in the flame & not stretching it LOL
god this is gonna be so hard to to  :o
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Mary on May 25, 2007, 06:59:55 PM
Oh good, you sussed it! Yes, you're trying to just lay it down gently, or you just get a few sparkles rather than the shine. Good luck!
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: FroggyBead on May 25, 2007, 07:27:20 PM
I can show mu very first beads with dihroic stringers, I had dihroic on clear and dihroic on black 2 mm stringers, some beads are very nice, but few
beads was not so good, I made those two weeks ago!
this was my very first bead with dihro, it is wonky, but dihro is perfect, then two simple beads which turned out well

(http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282807-200.jpg) (http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282807-778.jpg)  (http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282805-200.jpg) (http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282805-778.jpg)  (http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282806-200.jpg) (http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-51855-2282806-778.jpg)

and more beads, third bead is very bad, dihro is gone almost

(http://albcache.gallery.ru/gallery/0000018808-50750-2364871-778.jpg)

when you apply clear keep dihro out the flame, dihro don`t like it.
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: bubblefizz on May 26, 2007, 10:53:32 PM
wow gorgeous beads  ;D

ok i had RESULTS!!!! but only a little ::)
i really battled with it lol, i could see all the colours, then when i finished encasing the whole bead, most of it vanished..........it was like a WHOOOO moment to a NOOOOO moment straight after lol
Title: Re: Dichroic stringers 104?
Post by: Josephine on May 27, 2007, 02:59:05 PM
I have used dichro stringers with spectrum. On the Kate Drew Wilkinson course I did she puts it in a kiln on a fusing setting first and then pulls stringers with it in the flame afterwards. Thinking about it now I wonder about ( she may even have said to) putting a sheet of clear on the side with the dichro and then fusing it. That would give the coating a bit more protection when you put it in the flame.