Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: turnedlight on May 21, 2007, 07:03:43 PM

Title: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: turnedlight on May 21, 2007, 07:03:43 PM
When can I take my beads out after annealing? The kiln stops, I turn it off, and can't resist going back to take it's temperature! do I really have to wait until it's back to 20ish degrees c? or can I have them at a higher temperature?
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 21, 2007, 07:23:38 PM
I usually take them out as soon as I can handle them ;D
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Dickie on May 21, 2007, 07:29:50 PM
If you do take them out early... bear in mind that if it's particularly cold outside (or in the environment you are removing them too), they can still thermal shock... as Tan said, as long as you can handle them they should be OK. But if they will still burn you if you held them I would seriously suggest being an ickle bit more patent and wait another 30 mins or so !!

It's difficult I know !!
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 21, 2007, 07:31:55 PM
That extra 30 mins really is the difference between a good bead and a shocked bead....if they are too hot to take off the mandrel, then they aint cooked yet!!
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: mams on May 21, 2007, 08:22:14 PM
Thats interesting I thought they had to be left 'til the kiln went cold, thats what I've been doing! duh ::) :-[

Michelle.x
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: littlegiggles on May 21, 2007, 09:22:49 PM
I tend to get mine out at 100 f
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Dickie on May 21, 2007, 09:26:27 PM
That's 37.7 deg C for those of us in Metric !!... And that's warm but not hot
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: littlegiggles on May 21, 2007, 09:32:40 PM
lol... I get really confused with all the different temperature thingies... but I like that cos its a round number
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Trudi on May 24, 2007, 01:19:47 PM
100° I was going to ask asbestos hands .....

I get mine out between 30-40°C

Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: gwacie on May 24, 2007, 02:27:43 PM
NOT YET! 

Anything under about 38 deg C (100ish) is usually no problem for me.  I've been known to vent my kiln at 300 F to get things cooler faster.  If your kiln is fire brick it holds heat a long time.   You can usually vent the kiln (crack it open a hair) without losing heat TOO fast once you are close to finished.  If my kiln is full of delicate sculpted thingies I resist the temptation to vent but for basic rounds and such not a biggie.
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 24, 2007, 03:04:34 PM
OOO Bethany show us pics of your delicate sculpted thingies ;)
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: mams on May 24, 2007, 06:29:01 PM
Quote from: tanok on May 24, 2007, 03:04:34 PM
OOO Bethany show us pics of your delicate sculpted thingies ;)

What she said. Pleeeaaasssseee! ;D

Michelle.x
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: gwacie on May 24, 2007, 08:29:33 PM
HA! I'm not falling for it this time. 
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: glassworks on May 25, 2007, 06:52:05 AM
what they said - don't post and hide!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Françoise on May 25, 2007, 10:26:10 AM
Ditto, what all of the above said. Pleaaaaase, show us your delicate sculpted thingies....
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Shirley on May 25, 2007, 11:14:29 AM
I usually time things so that the programme finishes when I've gone to bed, then they're ready to take out in the morning.
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: Trudi on May 25, 2007, 01:58:07 PM
Don't tease.......
Title: Re: how soon can I take them out?
Post by: littlegiggles on May 25, 2007, 03:33:40 PM
check out her site there are some purty delicate things there