Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 12:29:12 PM

Title: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 12:29:12 PM
okay, i've got all the tools i need to make bent beads but didn't buy the book so i don't know how to slump them

anyone got any idea's? i need the schedual for the kiln, i think i've got an idea how to do the rest
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 01:26:22 PM
MARY MARY!!!!! If we shout loudly she should come!!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 02:13:19 PM
I hear you Tan! I've got the Rocio bead bending book, want to borrow it Caroline?
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 02:30:07 PM
See, told you Mary would know ;)
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 03:50:58 PM
Quote from: Mary on May 01, 2007, 02:13:19 PM
I hear you Tan! I've got the Rocio bead bending book, want to borrow it Caroline?

please, dose it have the klin cycle needed?
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 03:54:29 PM
Yep! It does!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Vicki on May 01, 2007, 04:05:05 PM
Bead bending? what are these new fangled words I am hearing??? ???
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 04:18:34 PM
Vicki, you make and shape the bead, then put it back in the kiln on a shaped mould, and slump it. Cool for bracelets!
(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork005.jpg)(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Pink_opal_bracelet-1.jpg)(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Kronos1.jpg)
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 04:19:35 PM
they just look so good ;D
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: mams on May 01, 2007, 04:26:28 PM
Ooo Mary they are lovely bracelets, do you need a big kiln to do this? ???

Michelle.x
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 04:28:50 PM
nope, Mary and I both have SC2's
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: nemea on May 01, 2007, 04:41:58 PM
Yummy! Must post a photo of the bracelet I made with my (well...Mary's) bendy.  ;D
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: mams on May 01, 2007, 04:47:46 PM
Thanks Caroline. ;)

Michelle.x
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 04:48:41 PM
Yes please, Mary!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: *rowanberry* on May 01, 2007, 05:20:57 PM
i want one of them there bending kits! they look fun!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 05:23:42 PM
they do don't they, i can't wait to play
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Vicki on May 01, 2007, 06:20:43 PM
Oooh I like them...mmm my wrist is feeling naked ;)
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Trudi on May 02, 2007, 07:48:51 AM
Wow - they do look very pretty!

Something else to aspire to!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: purplerhian on May 02, 2007, 09:57:40 AM
So, do the holes stay in tact on the beads when you slump them (I'm guessing they must, lol!)?
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 02, 2007, 10:11:19 AM
yeah apparently they do, got some beads ready to bend now
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Mary on May 02, 2007, 10:21:38 AM
You are supposed to use wire that has been dipped in bead release and dried, to keep the holes open. My wire kept falling out! So I carried on and they were fine. But I use skinny mandrels, Jim did some bigger holed ones that collapsed.
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Caroline on May 02, 2007, 10:32:50 AM
oh no, i've made mine with bigger holes
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: Trudi on May 02, 2007, 01:52:29 PM
Oh my - sounds complicated!
Title: Re: bending beads?
Post by: BlueMoon on May 02, 2007, 02:23:16 PM
Quote from: Mary on May 02, 2007, 10:21:38 AM
You are supposed to use wire that has been dipped in bead release and dried, to keep the holes open. My wire kept falling out! So I carried on and they were fine. But I use skinny mandrels, Jim did some bigger holed ones that collapsed.

I'd definitley recommend the wire in them. I colapsed a few when bending. Also, I did not agree with the firing schedule in Rocio's book. It was written for a HotBox kiln and suggested setting on high for the ramp up. I cracked beads doing it that way. I think it should start out on Medium....for about 15 minutes...then go to high.
Jim