Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 30, 2007, 02:31:55 PM

Title: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 30, 2007, 02:31:55 PM
Whats all the fuss about? I have been trawling lampworketc until my head spins and I cant find any yummy pics, have you guys got it and what do you think?

ooo get me with the questions
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: beadysam on April 30, 2007, 02:38:22 PM
Luuuuurrrve it!

I had some pale OY and couldn't understand the fuss, but just got some of the proper stuff from Q and its fab!  It goes pink and everything!  You NEED some of this glass - you could try it with frits... ;)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 30, 2007, 02:39:36 PM
cheers me dear I know you lot would help...........Sam.....naughty naughty..no..no...oh go on then.....i'll have some frit!!
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Mary on April 30, 2007, 02:40:53 PM
Need I say more? Oh yes, it's a nice alternative to ivory when you don't want it to react with silver.

(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork326.jpg)(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork488.jpg)(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork16.jpg)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: glassworks on April 30, 2007, 02:42:55 PM
griet has "lost" the last of our batch apparently.... put it down somewhere and, gosh dontcha know, can't find it any more...

ours was a lovely strong coloured batch - one we bought before form someone else was much paler - guess its the luck of the odd lot hand pulled draw!!

;D 8)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 30, 2007, 07:35:38 PM
I am in love Mary, that is a gorgeous colour

Does this mean you dont have any now Q :'( :'(
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Sarah on April 30, 2007, 08:17:34 PM
opal yellow with enamel then with frit....

I love this almost as much as I love ivory
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 30, 2007, 08:21:33 PM
 :o :o :o They are wowser Mcbowser beadies.......that opal yellow just kind of feathers colours doesnt it?

Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: glassworks on April 30, 2007, 08:31:34 PM
officially we are out - i might be able to scrounge a stick or two for ya tan, pm me if i need to brave the lions den!

which reminds me - best take it of the shop and ebay then!!!

;) ;D
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Caroline on April 30, 2007, 09:10:23 PM
i love Opel Yellow, it's one of my favorite colours , looks fab with raku

i would post pictures but photobuckets taking forever to load up ::)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: LesleyMac on April 30, 2007, 10:44:41 PM
The best thing about opal yellow is that is "spreads" a lot, so its perfect for twisties especially when you want them to look like the ammonite thingies. If you use it in a twisty with EDP its even better.Lovely stuff
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: BeadyBugs on April 30, 2007, 10:57:23 PM
It's a good chicken colour too. LOL! ;D

I think I remember Manda's a big fan of it too - she's made lots of gorgeous beads with it.  The one on her website banner (http://www.mangobeads.co.uk/index.htm) looks distinctly OY to me.

HP x
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: beadysam on April 30, 2007, 11:07:05 PM
I think they should call it `Blushing Custard'!
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: astringofbeads on April 30, 2007, 11:18:38 PM
You have to try dragonscales with it!
Heres a dolly dragonscales. There's a tut on LE for them
but basically you start with a base of opal yellow, dot it with ivory stringer that's wrapped in silver leaf ( not burnt off) don't melt in the dots,  then dot with edp on top and melt in all the dots. You can get some fab effects The second one has dots of Lauscha steel blue over the silvered ivory

[attachment deleted by admin]
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Sarah on April 30, 2007, 11:27:49 PM
Oh Jaq - those are lovely! I like the idea of opal yellow & edp -must go play.

Tan - if you can't get hold of opal yellow then try silver rattan. I found it quite similar when you strike it & play with raku - although you don't get the pinks. I've posted these before (& those earlier) but it might help with the comparison

Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 09:07:49 AM
Guys thankyou so much, I knew I could rely on you girls to come through, and for the pics, very inspiring!! I am an opal yellow convert, now all I need to do is go and wrestle Griet or send Q off around the world to get some ;D ;D

Silver rattan eh....hmm now theres a useful tip


You rock girls!!!
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Caroline on May 01, 2007, 09:22:34 AM
okay, photobuckets working now

here's opel yellow and raku frit, it goes lovely fleshy tones

(http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n170/carolinemhannon/opelrakufocal.jpg)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Les on May 01, 2007, 09:25:06 AM
Not one from me here, but I love the way the pink has come out in the opal yellow in my Andrea Guarino heart....

(http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/lbrayford/heartsmall.jpg)

soooo pretty :)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 09:28:47 AM
That is such a pretty blush............drooolllll :P
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: glassworks on May 01, 2007, 09:30:01 AM
trying hard not to pimp too much... but we are finding that caramello strikes pinkish too... although it is pricey it is at least widely available now.. it IS more intense than opal yellow... griet was playing last night and may be able to post some pics later..

Q
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: annasjewellerybox on May 01, 2007, 09:42:41 AM
Ooooo yes please Q, we want photos!



So do you have to do anything special to opal yellow to mek it go pink etc. or does it just do it when you're working it in the flame normally?
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 09:46:08 AM
Caroline that is such a beautiful bead, thankyou for posting ;)
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 10:29:45 AM
Anna, it strikes, so if you heat and cool, heat and cool you get the pinks. Basically, by the time I finish working a bead the colour is pretty much there, but you can rewarm it to coax a bit more out of it!
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: *Nicky* on May 01, 2007, 10:39:44 AM
Just out of interest can you over do opal yellow ? Ive managed to make mine white ?
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: glassworks on May 01, 2007, 11:15:35 AM
try heating it gently again, not sure if you can cook it... ours goes white, but then all the colours come back when worked.... mary?....
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 01, 2007, 01:24:10 PM
what she said ;D ;D
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Mary on May 01, 2007, 02:11:50 PM
I have had it going white when I worked it, my paler stuff especially, but the colour does come back. Try treating it like a striking colour. I don't think I've ever really had problems with over-cooking. And Caroline has it on raku, so hers was well cooked!
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: *Nicky* on May 01, 2007, 02:40:53 PM
Thanks mary, ill give it another go, i like it cos its such a lovely yellow - didnt realise you could get all the pinks out of it, ill try that next time.
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: LesleyMac on May 02, 2007, 06:55:51 AM
Les that heart is fabulous I am drooling with envy ;D
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: Les on May 02, 2007, 07:01:07 AM
He he ... it is pretty, innit :D
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: xtweeksx on May 17, 2007, 02:12:16 PM
I lurveeeee OY, its great with just about anything me thinks!! Try S.O.Y. on ivory it goes like a rusty orange colour, very yummy!! I tried it with kronos a few times...doesnt look too bad!

An the lady on LE Lara....she does some great stuff with it. I love Lara's OY beads..  ;D
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: glassworks on May 17, 2007, 03:06:30 PM
we have just a leeeeeeetlllle more coming with our EDP and other specials....
Title: Re: what about opal yellow then!
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 17, 2007, 03:07:51 PM
gasp oh oh oh oh oh remember me wont youoooooooo