Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => COE 104 => Topic started by: topkitten165 on April 28, 2007, 11:29:41 PM

Title: Pink effrette
Post by: topkitten165 on April 28, 2007, 11:29:41 PM
I'm having difficulty keeping my pink glass pink. When i heat it it goes a smoky grey. What am i doing wrong?
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: LesleyMac on April 29, 2007, 05:01:13 AM
Sounds like you are getting it too hot, try working it further out in the flame, it doesen't like too much heat.
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: glassworks on April 29, 2007, 05:33:39 AM
which pink is it?...
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Shannon on April 29, 2007, 08:22:08 AM
Sounds like you are reducing it, Rubino is especially prone to this.  Are you on a hothead?  If so that is likely your problem.
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: mams on April 29, 2007, 09:04:36 AM
Does this mean you can only do reduction with a dual fuel!

Michelle.x
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Isabelle on April 29, 2007, 12:33:47 PM
Not at all! HH's are great for reduction.You need to starve the flame of oxygen.
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Trudi on April 29, 2007, 01:09:26 PM
Best way to reduce the oxygen is to wrap tin foil around the airholes at the base of the HH. I saw this somewhere else on here. I have a ring that I let fall loose at the bottom, and when I want a reduction flame I pinch it together and holdit so it blocks the air holes.

When you wrap it around make it so you have enough to hold onto. When you then put the bead in the flame it will go yellow & bushy!
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 29, 2007, 01:10:26 PM
the opalinos reduce really easily too, they are the neither clear nor opaque rods ;)
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Mary on April 29, 2007, 01:55:32 PM
The low oxy of a reduction flame brings metals to the surface of the glass, but there is unburned fuel in a reduction flame, that can deposit on the glass.
The problem with the HH is that it is always slightly reducing, because it uses air rather than oxy. So some sensitive colours, like rubino, are harder to keep "clean."
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 29, 2007, 02:02:11 PM
what she said ;D
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Mary on April 29, 2007, 02:05:58 PM
You laughing at me Tan? Eh?  >:( ;D
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 29, 2007, 02:07:05 PM
No i'm trying to sound intelligent by repeating what you say......its my only hope :'(
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Mary on April 29, 2007, 02:10:07 PM
Awww!  ;D
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 29, 2007, 02:11:00 PM
 ;)
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Mary on April 29, 2007, 02:13:49 PM
Hey Tan, you're an Uber Gobsh*te!
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: Trudi on April 29, 2007, 02:48:53 PM
I had no idea that olipinos reduced .......... you learn something new all the time!
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on April 29, 2007, 04:37:31 PM
Quote from: Mary on April 29, 2007, 02:13:49 PM
Hey Tan, you're an Uber Gobsh*te!

It was something I aspired too...........whats left now :-\
Title: Re: Pink effrette
Post by: mams on April 29, 2007, 04:45:36 PM
Thanks guys I'll have a go when I get that far advanced! :) Sorry for using your thread topkitten, very rude of me. ;D ;D ;D

Michelle.x