Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: Yellow friend on August 20, 2009, 10:54:23 AM

Title: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: Yellow friend on August 20, 2009, 10:54:23 AM
Have just bought a pot of this new bead release & some new mandrels.  The bead release was a bit gloopy and is prone to lumpiness (which flies off when brought into the flame) - am assuming this will smooth out with a bit more shaking, however I am getting rusty spots coming through the bead release and this has deposited on some of the beads (at the holes).  Is it the new mandrels or the bead release?
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: sea-thistle on August 20, 2009, 10:55:57 AM
Sorry don't use it, I haven't heard any good things about Dirty Looi, I use Fusion, no complaints with that
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: Kaz on August 20, 2009, 11:02:35 AM
I could not get on with this bead release at all. I occasionally use it to top up the last dregs of Fusion and it seems to mix OK. But on its own I found the same problems you mention plus I really struggled to get the beads off the mandrels whereas with Fusion they slide off easily. Not sure about the rust ??? Have you got the right mandrels ???
Kazx
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: theflyingbedstead on August 20, 2009, 11:05:38 AM
I find that I can only use dipped mandrels on the day of dipping, otherwise I get the rusty deposits too, and it is harder to get beads off th mandrels.  It has a less pitted finish than Fusion (so can be better for transparent beads), but you do need to mix it well and let the mandrels air-dry otherwise it can fly off in the flame.  If it is still too gloopy then I water it down a bit.  I usually stick to Fusion too.
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: Yellow friend on August 20, 2009, 11:41:09 AM
I have been using Fusion up to now (no rusty bits even after a few days) but when I needed some more, Dirty Looi was all that Martin had in stock at the time (as far as I could see), I got the mandrels from Martin as well.  I have been watering down my Fusion for months now - I think the weather must be making the water evaporate & I had a few stickers, so thought maybe I'd watered it down once too often - I may try to resurrect my old pot (I have about 2'' of solid muck left in the bottom of the pot)  failing that - I think I might do as you suggest Kaz & mix it together.
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: Carol on August 20, 2009, 11:48:02 AM
I use Dirty Looie all the time, but so far I'm the only person I know who seems to like it! I dip as I go, and hold the wet mandrel in the heat ABOVE the flame until it dries, if you put the wet release straight into the flame you'll get bits flying off. I don't have any more difficulty getting beads off mandrels than with Fusion, also Dirty Looie's doesn't "drip when you dip" like Fosterfire. It cleans away from the beads quite easily in my experience. As for consistency mine is a tiny bit thicker than single cream, I add a spot of tap water if needed, give it a really, really good shake & I haven't had any problems with lumps. If you've dipped a few mandrels at the start of the session but don't use them all, wash it off and start afresh next time. Also try giving your new mandrels a good scrub with a bit of soapy water and a pot scourer before you use them. Hope this helps  :)
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: hollergrafik on August 20, 2009, 11:52:32 AM
I use Foster Fire and mine doesnt drip, think it was one bad batch, new one I have is a dream to use.
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: Yellow friend on August 20, 2009, 12:03:47 PM
I don't know how long it takes to dry but I usually dip just as I'm cranking up the kiln.  Fusion seems to dry a bit faster I think as they are always ready to use buy the time I get going.  I also scrub with washing liquid every time I use them, to degrease & get rid of any old bead release. I might try decanting it and give it a good shaking.
Title: Re: Dirty Looi Bead release
Post by: turnedlight on August 20, 2009, 03:41:58 PM
I gave up on mine, there was a lot of discussion about it a while back, just couldn't get on with it.. I prefer fusion. It was a bit annoying, as it wasn't cheap..