Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: mindy23 on July 10, 2009, 01:50:09 PM

Title: round beads and dimples?
Post by: mindy23 on July 10, 2009, 01:50:09 PM
Hello
I have ordered a round bead press thanks to those who pointed me in the direction of marielouisa's site!  It isnt here yet but i was just thinking about its impending arrival and then I started to wonder about dimples.  Should these beads be dimpled?  I'm a little old school perhaps and have never actually seen any of these new proper round beads in the flesh.  Just wondered what the concensus was and what I should be aiming for when the press arrives.  Just need to be prepared!!!!  I cant wiat to get it, new tools are always way tooo exciting!

Mindyx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Annelyse on July 10, 2009, 02:07:16 PM
Hello Mindy,

Most real round beads I have seen did not have any dimples.

I have just looked at your website and I am blown away by your jewellery!!!
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Diane on July 10, 2009, 02:10:25 PM
Hi Mindy - I have one arriving tomorrow and was wondering the same thing - will be interested to see any replies.

Diane x
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Pegasus on July 10, 2009, 02:37:55 PM
You can do both, with or without dimples. It just depends how wide you make your bead before squishing it. Sometimes if you go for the non dimpled bead you will tend to get some sharp edges which will grind down with an electric reamer. I think dimples look nicer (only my opinion). This has to be my all time fave press, thanks to Maria Louisa!!! XXXX
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Trudi on July 10, 2009, 02:39:30 PM
I was looking on Maria Louise's site and wondering weather to go for the "marver" or the press .......... would have thought though that with round beads you wouldn't expect the pucker.
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Lush! on July 10, 2009, 02:53:18 PM
This is my favourite press in the whole wide world  ;D

I like a little dimple  ;)
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Sarah on July 10, 2009, 03:11:18 PM
I make a lot of round beads and I have done them with & without dimples - but I don't use a press.

To get dimples I heat the bead very gently round the edge of the end of the bead and then let gravity do its bit.

If you don't have dimples then just make sure the hole is tidy with no sharp bits.

Sarah
xxx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: mizgeorge on July 10, 2009, 03:48:08 PM
As an end user ;) I have to say I like a little dimple too! Those without tend to have (as Sarah says) sharper edges, which can cut through things and have a nasty habit of chipping a bit.
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Shirley on July 10, 2009, 06:06:48 PM
So by round presses do you mean the ones that are called 'marbles' on Maria Louisa's site? They look really good, am getting tempted myself ;D
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Vicki on July 10, 2009, 06:15:28 PM
I would say with dimples, even with a round as a buyer I would want them...whether or not I'd be any good with this press I don't know  :)
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: mindy23 on July 10, 2009, 07:11:11 PM
yes, i am a dimple person too.  I would want the beads i sell to be as versatile as possible meaning that they could be strung on any material without any issues.  If i ever have any that arent dimpled I sell those as seconds.  I just wondered if with these round beads, the opinion was different.  Thank you for your responses as its good to get an overview especially from those who would use the beads.  I cant wait to get the press, i always find it frustrating trying to get beads to exactly the same size for sets so hope this will iron out that one!  Maira lousisa site is wonderful, i had never heard of it before and was just about to order a press from zoozziis when I asked on here and was pointed in the much cheaper ( import tax wise) direction of europe.  ;D
I'm just in from my hut, i had to come in as i was starting to tremble and feel dizzy. THe heat is back :(

Mindyxx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: dinah46 on July 10, 2009, 08:14:35 PM
Maria Louisa's presses are seriously addictive :o
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Kaz on July 10, 2009, 09:46:00 PM
As a bead buyer I have had round beads both with and without dimples and don't mind them without dimples as long as they are not sharp and sticky-outy.
Kazx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: mindy23 on July 10, 2009, 11:15:15 PM
I guess there is a big difference between "undimpled" and sharp and sticky outy.  I just wondered really as on beads I've made in the past, if the glass is coming down at a 90degree angle to the mandrel there is always a slightly more refined edge, not really sharp though.  I should have made myself clearer, I am not great at explaining things so please forgive me!  I didnt mean to suggest with my last comment that beads without dimples should all be seconds but it sort of read like that.  I just wanted to know if my tendency towards dimpled was out dated now as with these pressess and marvers it was maybe possible to get a nice neat end without dimples.  Now I have probabaly over explained that too so I will stop now and go to bed! 
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend, I am considering becoming nocturnal again till the weather is cooler. 
Mindyx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Diane on July 11, 2009, 07:10:46 AM
Hi Mindy - think I followed your drift - should the ends be 'tucked in' or flush?  Will be having a play today so see what I can manage with my new press   Yeah  - thanks to Kaz and Mark ;D ;D ;D

Diane x



Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: Sarah on July 11, 2009, 07:49:25 AM
Dimpled or flush - I like that  :)

Sarah
xxx
Title: Re: round beads and dimples?
Post by: mindy23 on July 11, 2009, 01:53:12 PM
those are the perfect terms, thank goodness there is someone out there with  an ability to express themselves properly!   

My press isnt here yet and I am really looking forward to getting it, theres always that great bit when you get a new tool when you get a flush of new ideas , need to get stock together for Perth, I have not got a single set ready.  Normally i am much more organised.

Mindyx