Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: Hels4444 on June 02, 2009, 11:13:28 AM

Title: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Hels4444 on June 02, 2009, 11:13:28 AM
I am having a bit of trouble with getting the effect with silver balls on the outside of my beads and wondered if there was a good tutorial or some advise please??

I have bought silver wire half hard and tried adding it to the bead but its gets a yellow tinge??  am I using the wrong silver or is there a specail knack??  any advice please????
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Lush! on June 02, 2009, 11:18:39 AM
I think you're using the wrong wire.

You need FINE silver wire, not sterling (sterling wire will go black in the flame).  I use .3mm - Lynne sells it here http://www.thedragonflycompany.com/wire.html
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Hels4444 on June 02, 2009, 11:21:31 AM
Oh thank you so much I am trying to do a bead for the book round robin thingy and  everything I have made is rubbish will get some.

You are a star

Helen
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Wishing Wells Glass on June 02, 2009, 11:30:50 AM
Quote from: Lush! on June 02, 2009, 11:18:39 AM
I think you're using the wrong wire.

You need FINE silver wire, not sterling (sterling wire will go black in the flame).  I use .3mm - Lynne sells it here http://www.thedragonflycompany.com/wire.html

What she said ;)  I use the same kind as well.  I first tried Sterling too.. EEEK!

x
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Helen G on June 02, 2009, 11:51:54 AM
Yep me too, as a silversmith I tried sterling with pants results! Got myself fine silver and it's a doddle  ;D
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Hels4444 on June 02, 2009, 12:01:25 PM
I just ordered some can't wait til it comes now will let you know how I get on.

Helen ;D
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: DragonflyLynne on June 02, 2009, 04:22:24 PM
Thank you Helen. It will catch tonight's post  ;D
Title: Re: How do you get silver balls on beads?
Post by: Wishing Wells Glass on June 02, 2009, 04:35:29 PM
Good luck hon!  Can't wait to see the results :)

x