Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Safety/Safety Equipment => Topic started by: Stacy on June 02, 2009, 09:32:29 AM

Title: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: Stacy on June 02, 2009, 09:32:29 AM
I've lost my sunglasses and its really bright outside it making my head hurt a little from squinting
Can I use my didy's as sunglasses until I get my replacements?
Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: Lush! on June 02, 2009, 10:23:08 AM
Gosh, you'd think so wouldn't you - considering that my sunglasses cost about £3 from Matalan and my didys cost £eek!  :D :D
Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: theflyingbedstead on June 02, 2009, 10:41:21 AM
No they don't I'm afraid!  I have found a comment on www.phillips-safety.com/Glass-Working-Metal-Frame/Index.htm about their 202 ACE lenses
"...not recommended for sun protection use unless UV filtering coatings are applied". 

The recommended UV protection for sunglasses is 99% for UVB and 95% for UVA, so I think you should treat yourself to a jazzy new pair!
Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: Lush! on June 02, 2009, 10:50:55 AM
Tut!

Its a conspiracy!


;D

Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: ejralph on June 06, 2009, 07:45:31 PM
If you have any polycarbonate safety specs though, you could wear those.

From what I recall when I worked for a designer sunglass company, polycarbonate as a material is inherently UV filtering.

But I agree with everyone else - just go treat yourself to some sunglasses. They are not a fashion thing, they are an important part of protecting your eyes, especially if you have blue eyes. If your eyes are dark they have a tad more natural defence against the sun.

One thing I never leave the house without is sunglasses. Even on cloudy days in winter. Eyes is important innit.

Emma
Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: Stacy on June 06, 2009, 09:04:43 PM
Thanks for the info laides! It does seem a shame as I've got some of the little ones from Martin and they look really nice. The frames actually suit my face which I can never get normal sunglasses to do!

Anyway I went and got my glasses and it hasn't stopped raining since!
Title: Re: Do Didys Block out UV Rays
Post by: ralphus on June 06, 2009, 09:43:41 PM
So its your fault is it!! ;D