Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: Dee Dee on May 28, 2009, 02:29:51 PM

Title: Twisty question??
Post by: Dee Dee on May 28, 2009, 02:29:51 PM
I've seen lots of beads with twisties that seem to spread really wide - is there a secret to this, or is it a very thick twistie??

Just so you know the kind of thing I'm talking about, I saw this lovely bead on Etsy:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=25595464 (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=vl_other_1&listing_id=25595464)
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: sublimekate on May 28, 2009, 02:48:32 PM
I do it like this

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3450


Kate xx
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Dee Dee on May 28, 2009, 02:51:26 PM
Thanks Kate, yes, I do that too, but what makes it spread so far across the bead - my twisties spread a wee bit, but nothing like that?? ???  Am I making them too thin?
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: sublimekate on May 28, 2009, 02:54:20 PM
Oh I see what you mean now.

Well I'm not sure, I'd just be guessing if I tried to offer suggestions as to why, but that does look like a raku twistie, and raku likes spreading so maybe it's just the glass, but could be a fat twistie, or maybe it's a small bead....hahahah ok I'll shut up now.  ::)

I don't know basically, sorry hon. Kate xxx
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Dee Dee on May 28, 2009, 02:59:09 PM
Quote from: sublimekate on May 28, 2009, 02:54:20 PM
Oh I see what you mean now.

Well I'm not sure, I'd just be guessing if I tried to offer suggestions as to why, but that does look like a raku twistie, and raku likes spreading so maybe it's just the glass, but could be a fat twistie, or maybe it's a small bead....hahahah ok I'll shut up now.  ::)

I don't know basically, sorry hon. Kate xxx

LOL, thanks anyway!
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: LesleyMac on May 28, 2009, 03:14:01 PM
Some glass spreads a lot, raku, ivory, opal yellow, edp to name a few.  If you use those types of spreading glass over transparents then they will spread out a lot, I think on the bead you have shown that probably you have a spreading glass along with a transparent in the twisty which gives that effect. Try it and show us what you come up with, obviously if you make a fat twisty with spreading glass you will enhance the effect even more.

Hope this helps :)
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Lush! on May 28, 2009, 03:16:15 PM
And encasing it will make it spread more, won't it (says she who hasn't made a twistie for probably about 15 months!)


Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Mary on May 28, 2009, 08:14:42 PM
Raku and intense black together look not unlike that, the IB helps spread the raku.
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on May 28, 2009, 08:22:47 PM
A butter knife........it spreads butter dunnit :P
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: sublimekate on May 28, 2009, 11:11:48 PM
Quote from: Tan on May 28, 2009, 08:22:47 PM
A butter knife........it spreads butter dunnit :P

hahahaha  ;D
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Pat from Canvey on May 29, 2009, 09:28:44 AM
Does this help (http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1426/5604171/21206591/365637595.jpg)
It's a normal sized about 3mm twistie attached to a disc bead, (a fairly small one as I was just keeping my hand in) and then encased in lauscha clear. It was heated until the glass started to spread from a disc to a donut, (about 3 or 4x the width of the twistie).
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Lush! on May 29, 2009, 09:50:22 AM
That's what I was thinking Pat - but I've never made one ... till now maybe ...  :D
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Mary on May 29, 2009, 03:54:37 PM
This is what raku and IB twistie looks like, on silver cinnamon in this case. It was quite a narrow twistie. It really does spread like your picture.
(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork494.jpg)
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: sublimekate on May 29, 2009, 04:16:51 PM
Quote from: Mary on May 29, 2009, 03:54:37 PM
This is what raku and IB twistie looks like, on silver cinnamon in this case. It was quite a narrow twistie. It really does spread like your picture.
(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/Mylampwork494.jpg)

Coorrrr, gorgeous beads Mary ;D
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Dee Dee on May 29, 2009, 11:17:41 PM
They're fab Mary.  So, what you are saying is, that it's what the twistie is made out of that makes it spread so far?



Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Mary on May 29, 2009, 11:34:36 PM
On those ones, yes Steph. You can see the raku has spread less than the IB, though it has spread too. That's how I get the narrow banding. Pat's right too, you get good effects by encasing in a narrow band, just that your example looked quite like my beads.
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Dee Dee on May 29, 2009, 11:39:15 PM
Oh yes, I can see where the raku stopped and the IB continued!  That's interesting, is there any other combinations that do it that well?
Title: Re: Twisty question??
Post by: Mary on May 30, 2009, 09:18:47 AM
Opal yellow with edp is good on turquoise (sorry, can't find that pic). Or most opaques will spread on transparent. Show us what you come up with!