Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 08:45:04 PM

Title: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 08:45:04 PM
I was wondering just how many gorgeous beads that cracked in half get thrown away every day.

I thought of fish tank decoration, cabs (if you're clever with silver) and garden or flowerpot mulch, or frit (if it's very expensive glass I guess it might be worth it).

Any other ideas?
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: saffie on April 23, 2009, 08:46:18 PM
clean the bead release out and slump them in kiln make cabachons!
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Amber on April 23, 2009, 09:26:09 PM
I've laid mine out in a pretty pattern on the garden wall!  :)
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: julieHB on April 23, 2009, 09:47:47 PM
fire them up until rounded and scatter them among the gravel on your garden path - ever so pretty when the light catches them - just be aware of small kids picking up "sweets"  :)
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Steampunkglass on April 23, 2009, 09:58:55 PM
I think there was another thread like this a while back, someone suggested making a nice beaded flyscreen curtain out of the duff ones that are still whole, which I quite like the idea of
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Soozintheshed on April 23, 2009, 10:40:45 PM
Quote from: saffie on April 23, 2009, 08:46:18 PM
clean the bead release out and slump them in kiln make cabachons!

Snap  :D
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: hollergrafik on April 23, 2009, 11:37:56 PM
I have made cufflinks from mine. Cleaned them, slumped and glued onto blanks for cufflinks.
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Sarah on April 23, 2009, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)

Yes - full fuse, kiln paper and no mould. But make sure you clean out all the bead release  :) And make sure that they are right at the back of the kiln to get an even fuse.

Sarah
xxx
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Redhotsal on April 24, 2009, 12:21:26 AM
You can fix a broken bead with PMC!
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: sandie on April 24, 2009, 02:23:37 AM
Quote from: Redhotsal on April 24, 2009, 12:21:26 AM
You can fix a broken bead with PMC!
This is probably a daft question, but when you fired the pmc, would the glass not crack? I got a beautiful lampwork vessel that arrived with a tiny bit out of the lip. It occured to me that I could give it a pmc collar, but I'm worried about breaking the bead.
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Scubeadoo on May 01, 2009, 09:04:09 PM
Quote from: Sarah on April 23, 2009, 11:46:57 PM
Quote from: TiaraHelen on April 23, 2009, 11:27:40 PM
Perfect, thanks.  I've never done fusing so didn't even think of it.  So do I just put the beads through a "full fuse" program on kiln paper, or do I need a mould?  Once  I've got it sussed I'll never throw a cracked beadie away again (wish I'd thought of asking this question before!!!)

Yes - full fuse, kiln paper and no mould. But make sure you clean out all the bead release  :) And make sure that they are right at the back of the kiln to get an even fuse.

Sarah
xx
Not had my kiln long so I'm new to all this - Whats a full fuse? Is there a programme for doing this in a Paragon SC2?

Thanks

Marion
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: xtweeksx on May 02, 2009, 04:33:03 PM
I made some of mine into cabs yesterday - I popped them in along with some float glass I was slumping and they turned out fine  :)

You can find all the fusing/slumping schedules here: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=12.0
Title: Re: Now you really will think I'm tight - uses for cracked beads?
Post by: Scubeadoo on May 03, 2009, 08:27:09 PM
Thanks for that , didnt think to hunt around the forum a bit more ::)