Frit-Happens !

Lampwork => Lampworking Tip n Tricks => Topic started by: sublimekate on April 20, 2009, 08:56:14 PM

Title: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: sublimekate on April 20, 2009, 08:56:14 PM
I know this is a tad lazy, but could someone give me a quick shopping list for doing silver core beads, the old fashioned way, I don't want to fork out on expensive gadgets.

I've already made lots of levely beads to go on my new bracelet so I really should learn how to do it.

Becky explained it to me at the Flame Off but I still don't know what tools I need, she did warn me I'd smash at least 20 beads before I got it right  :o so at least I'm prepared for that.

Silver tubing is the only thing I'm SURE I need  ;) but I don't know what size exactly, I'll suss that out I guess.

Many Thanks. Kate

Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: saffie on April 20, 2009, 08:58:36 PM
There is a link soemwhere I will try to find it but :

dapping punches
Rawhide mallet
torch to anneal the silver
tweezers to pick hot silver up!
steel block to use when hitting the beads!!!
dust pan and brsuh to pick up the shattered remenants (?sp)

Erm there is probabyl more! did you see the tut I found as well! I will go find link for that as well as he talks about equipment
Sam xx
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: sublimekate on April 20, 2009, 08:59:32 PM
Thanks Sam, that's great.

Just found Jo's post in case anyone else was wondering.

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6959.0
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: BeadyBugs on April 21, 2009, 10:03:07 AM
Ok, this is a bit longwinded but here's a list I've sent out to people before who've asked me what I use, and I thought it might help a few of you budding corers.  ;D  This is how I do it, as I never got round to buying a press.

Here's a brilliant tut that taught me all I know, coupled with a lot of practice:
http://www.dawnandevan.com/silver_core.htm

Here's a 'little' list of equipment.  You may already have some of it, or could use similar items.  It looks daunting, but most of
it's not that expensive, it's just a faff getting it all, but once you've
got it, all you'll need to replace is the silver and some of the polishing
stuff:

Silverclay: www.silverclay.co.uk
Ceramic fibre block or blanket for putting tube on while you anneal it, but any heat resistant thing will do

Rashbels: (http://rashbel.com)
Small steel bench block
Dialux (white) silver polish or jewellers rouge
Tiny felt bobs and threaded mandrel to make the cores shiny (GR17267)
Thin wall (0.5mm) 5mm silver tubing which gives an approx 4mm hole suitable for Trollbeads. 
or 6mm tubing (5mm hole) for Pandora.

Ebay:
mini pipe cutter 3-22mm
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=mini+tube+cutter&_sacat=See-All-Categories
QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Small kitchen or jeweller's/soldering blowtorch and butane refill for annealing tubing
Green Rubber Polishing tips to remove tool marks before polishing
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Merlin-Polishing-Supplies__W0QQ_armrsZ1 (they also do the felt bobs)
Dapping punches (24 set off ebay, you need really small 3-4mm ish up to 20mm) http://stores.ebay.co.uk/JEWELLERYTOOLS

Mandrels: www.glassulger.de:
4mm mandrels (Perlenstab in german) (for troll)
5mm (Pandora) Martin has these too.
Maria Louisa stocks both 4mm and 5mm:
http://www.beadpress.nl/stempelwinkel/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26

Stuff you'll also need but may already have:
Cone shaped diamond file for removing extra straggly bits inside the tubing after cutting pipe
Dremel for polishing
Hide hammer (for use with dapping punches and to flatten core)
Calipers to measure bead, then tube
Bits of cardboard to support bead when hammering it
Tweezers to pick up hot tubing and quench in jug of water

And just to clarify:
For a 4mm hole (Troll) bead, you'll need 5mm tubing and 4mm mandrels (possibly double dipped depending on the thickness of your bead release)
For a 5mm hole (Pandora) bead, you'll need 6mm tubing and 5mm mandrels (possibly double dipped depending on the thickness of your bead release)

Have fun - and go on, do it, you know you want to!!!  ;D

HP xxx
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: sublimekate on April 21, 2009, 10:30:57 AM
Oh Wow Helen - THANK YOU  :)

BTW I checked out your website after you posted in the S&T.............ALL SOLD.....fantastic, love your beads  :)
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: saffie on April 21, 2009, 10:37:15 AM
Quote from: sublimekate on April 21, 2009, 10:30:57 AM
Oh Wow Helen - THANK YOU  :)

BTW I checked out your website after you posted in the S&T.............ALL SOLD.....fantastic, love your beads  :)

I always get to helen's site to bloomin late  :'(

go for it Kate I love doing the silver cores that way, have not done any for ages!!! think I might do some now, just turned kiln on!!!  ;)
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: BeadyBugs on April 21, 2009, 01:06:29 PM
It's a pleasure Kate - thank you - I know it's a lot of bits and bobs to collect, but I hope it helps.  :) 

Thanks Sam.  ;D  Ooo, we need to see those when they come out of the kiln.  It is rather addictive making them isn't it - I love it!  And I've just got to try and find the time to make some new ones I've got rolling around in my brain at the moment.  :D

HP x  ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: Silver Core Tips Please
Post by: chocolateteapot on July 24, 2009, 10:36:57 AM
beautiful stuff Helen.... ;)
tracy x