im confused on oxycons, some people use 2 on a minor, would 1 be ok?
most people use 1, you'd only need 2 or one with a higher output if you wanted to do Boro
one is plenty to be getting on with! :)
ok even on a minnow?
yeah as far as i know there the same level as minors
maybe you should ask Quintin to be sure, he knows more about them
especially a minnow...
it has lower pressure requirements than a minor, and less than the betta... it was originally designed for single oxycon use burning domestic (ie low pressure) gas... we have run the minor, the betta and the minnow on our oxycon (from martin) and they have all been absolutely fine.. that said, more oxy is never a bad thing - although adding a second oxycon needs to be done carefully to match outputs so that one is not working harder than another... there was a whole long post on this topic on LWE - i'll see if i can find it..
;)
ah Q, i know you'd come in and tell us more
i was gutted when you started selling these after i bought my minor, i may have been tempted to get one otherwise
Hya Quinton ;D i emailed u on ebay ;D
i cant understand why lampwork etc.. said i needed 2 oxycons ???
bubblefizz... marcie from bethlehem has just signed on here today - you can search for firelady and get her opinion.. she is the source, if she says it needs two then believe her!!!! she works with them all day, and has a lot more experience than me!!!
:D
okey dokey, youve convinced me ;)
i want one LOL
I must say since I bought my second oxy con - I wanted to run two Minors at the same time and a Major on it's own - I use them both together when I'm working on a Minor. Don't 'arf make a difference.
When I teach one to one I usually just use the one as that's more than enough for a beginner to cope with (and when using most 'soft' soft glass). I do find it really slow 'though when I swap over to demo. It's what you get used to I guess.
Is Quinton stocking oxy cons now then? Must take a gander.
Bev
we have a supplier of oxycons - but they will have to run in our studio for a while more before we are prepared to put our names to them... the one we priginally bought from martin has been reliable and faultfree - and if we decide to supply they must at least match this standard! we will let everyne know how the trails work out!..
in the meantime, marting is the guy in the uk with which we have experience and can recommend... he stands by his oxycons, and the price reflects his level of service..
;)
I agree Quinton, he's a gem.
I just wondered whether we'd ever find a supplier in the UK with the big oxy cons for running the big torches with ease. In the States (no surprise there then...) you get a choice of sizes. Can't really ship them over here at that weight (and electrics of course).
Maybe one day someone will sell them.
Bev
QuoteI just wondered whether we'd ever find a supplier in the UK with the big oxy cons for running the big torches with ease.
Red Rooster up here in Aberdeenshire is the European distributor for Onyx industrial oxycons. They come in many sizes, and big prices too.
Yeah Shannon, I spoke to them a couple of years ago and their cheapest, which wasn't much more powerful than Martin's, was £950! Yikes!
It goes without saying that when we say we want a choice of larger oxy cons, we also want them cheap as chips! ;)
Yeah right... ::)
Angie, were you reading a boro thread? You need two to do boro on a minor.
I think you can do small boro with one oxy con but the problem lies with the output of oxygen. One oxycon will melt boro but will take aaaaageeess, basically the hotter the flame the faster thick rods or boro melts.
Quote from: Mary on February 10, 2007, 12:55:32 PM
Angie, were you reading a boro thread? You need two to do boro on a minor.
No Mary, i actually made the thread myself on lampwork etc.. and i asked about torches to buy for scroll work and it was between a minnow or minor and they said i need 2 oxycons for them torches but a bobcat only needs 1.
Angie,
i've seen your thread on LE, the problem is your question is too general, you've not said what type of glass your working with, what oxycon your thinking of using and most of the people who have answered are american's where they have many different types of oxycons
over here there's really only one oxycon thats affordable (Martin is of course a star)
and what your oxycon runs at and how many you need is affected by what type of glass you use
Ah i see Caroline, i never thought of that :D
A minor will run on one of Martins oxy cons no problem
My set up is a betta and oxycon. I find it very good, but it is not as powerful as an oxygen tank. In practice this just adds a few seconds more to heat the glass.
Mari
That's good to hear Mari - as I must admit I'm considering getting a Minnow or Betta when I upgrade at some point over the next few months, and wasn't sure if one oxycon would run a Betta. I was going to prod Quinton and Martin with a stick for recommendations. ;D
HP x
we run our betta on an oxycon with no problems - but bottled oxy is the best move we made for the studio as we run 5 torches at full whack with no problems at all - except getting a truck to deliver new cylinders!!
;D
natch i recommend a betta - as we used a minor before, and although it was a great torch, the betta is, we believe - a better torch..
Ooo fab Quinton. :D I'll get saving and look forward to new toys then. :D
HP x