Frit-Happens !

Technical Forum => Studio/workspace/setup/equipment => Safety/Safety Equipment => Topic started by: bubblefizz on January 26, 2009, 10:57:25 AM

Title: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 26, 2009, 10:57:25 AM
Ok ive just received the shield, but how do you place it in the right place??
it seems to be in the way  >:(
has anyone got any pics of there shield (in action)
the base is massive and no where to really place it on my bench either.
have a wasted my money??

please if you have any pics will you show me  ::)
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: kerensky on January 26, 2009, 11:49:58 AM
Don't know where the piccie is,  but I have seen one of these mounted behind of the torch ( torch / shield/ you ) if you get my drift, you apparently can take it off the base and drill a hole to feed the flexible arm through, you secure the arm under the bench with a pipe clip.  I will try and find the link and post it.

I would be very interested to see how you get on with this as I am contemplating buying one.
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Donna@Rockin' Beads on January 26, 2009, 02:12:27 PM
I have the base off to the left with enough of a gap to still plonk my elbow down whilst twirling. I did think the base might get in the way but I just use it as an extension of my workbench (ie dump loads of stuff on it!!).
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 26, 2009, 02:54:16 PM
donna could i see a pic please?
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Donna@Rockin' Beads on January 26, 2009, 03:09:30 PM
I'll see what I can do  :)

(http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee296/tombsd1/DSCF4622.jpg)

Hope that helps  :)

I forgot to say that I love my shield now that I am used to it  ;D
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: kerensky on January 26, 2009, 09:07:16 PM
Good grief Donna - that's a big base, but can see how you could work around the shield as there is plenty of space.
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 26, 2009, 09:05:48 PM
thanks for that donna, i still dont know, my bench isnt as wide as yours, also the arm bit seems to be in the way, gonna have to try it out different ways lol :-\
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Donna@Rockin' Beads on January 26, 2009, 09:48:03 PM
The arm does get in the way a little bit but I have got used to it and manage to work around it. It has kind of changed the way I melt a rod too as the screen is in the way so I melt a bit more from the side than I would like to. I guess I could play with the positioning to sort that out though.

Good luck.  :)
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Dragonfire Glass on January 26, 2009, 10:10:55 PM
can it be suspended from above?
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: mizgeorge on January 26, 2009, 10:32:02 PM
Quote from: Failariel on January 26, 2009, 10:10:55 PM
can it be suspended from above?

I know I've seen this done - I think it's Mary's that's set up that way. Very cool IMO.
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Mary on January 26, 2009, 10:53:28 PM
Ta George! Yes it's mine that's upside down, but it's from Jim at BlueMoon, it's a screw or clamp mounted one, not on a base.

(http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o297/weemaryanne/finished.jpg)
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Donna@Rockin' Beads on January 27, 2009, 08:13:24 AM
It looks like the same screen but just hasn't been screwed into the base.

Great idea.
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 27, 2009, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: Donna on January 26, 2009, 09:48:03 PM
The arm does get in the way a little bit but I have got used to it and manage to work around it. It has kind of changed the way I melt a rod too as the screen is in the way so I melt a bit more from the side than I would like to. I guess I could play with the positioning to sort that out though.

Good luck.  :)

Was goona ask about how you melt, cuz it is in the way for me, you have to melt from the side a bit strange for me LOL gonna take some getting used to  ;D
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 27, 2009, 09:39:38 AM
ohh mary love your workspace looks so clean and fresh and thats what i wanted to do with my shield
but ive no where above me only ceiling  ;)

this is how ive put my shield, but not sure if the arm is to near the heat  ::)

(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v135/bubblefizz/shield.jpg)
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Lush! on January 27, 2009, 09:51:48 AM
Angie, can't you keep the base where it is but bend the arm round to the left instead of over the top?


Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: bubblefizz on January 27, 2009, 10:10:15 AM
Quote from: Lush! on January 27, 2009, 09:51:48 AM
Angie, can't you keep the base where it is but bend the arm round to the left instead of over the top?



Could try it, it is really hard trying to bend it into shape lol, but yea will try it, thanks!  :-*
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: kerensky on January 27, 2009, 10:21:56 AM
Interesting thread, I didn't realise that the shields had different fittings, ie one with base - one without,  I thought that they were all the same except for arm/rod length and that you could unscrew from the base if you wanted to mount it directly on to your bench, or in front of your torch.  

That looks great Mary - I think that would work for me too, can't keep doing the two sets of glasses for much longer...


Thanks for posting the pictures very useful.
Title: Re: bench mounted shield???
Post by: Mary on January 27, 2009, 11:34:20 AM
The bonus with the BlueMoon one, that swung it for me, is you can get a boro slide too. You're meant to unscrew the frame to put the boro glass in, but I just put some velcro on the corners for a quick change!