Your best ever tips!

Started by Dee Dee, April 02, 2009, 01:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stacy

im another one for the leather apron. I bought one recently off of ebay for 1.99. it a shame i waited until after I had a selection of burns in my cleavage though. I've also got a really bad burn where a very large chunk of glass got stuck in my cleavage, must have been over 2 weeks ago it happened and its still not healed.

TiaraHelen

Wow Stacey, £1.99! What a bargain.
Helen x

Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth "you owe me".

Kaz

Quote from: Stacy on April 08, 2009, 08:49:09 PM
im another one for the leather apron. I bought one recently off of ebay for 1.99. it a shame i waited until after I had a selection of burns in my cleavage though. I've also got a really bad burn where a very large chunk of glass got stuck in my cleavage, must have been over 2 weeks ago it happened and its still not healed.
I have still got the scar from a bosom bouncing hot lump of glass from almost 12 months ago!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

theflyingbedstead

Kaz - I remember you telling me about 'beader's neck' but 'beader's bosom' is far, far worse in my opinion. Your story has ensured that I now wear polo-neck tops when playing with glass! 

I bet there's a market for leather pelican bibs.  Not only would that protect delicate areas but it would also catch wayward shards of glass.  I suppose that I am showing my age here...probably no-one remembers what pelican bibs are?
Charlotte x

lampworklover

Quote from: theflyingbedstead on April 08, 2009, 10:55:30 PM
Kaz - I remember you telling me about 'beader's neck' but 'beader's bosom' is far, far worse in my opinion. Your story has ensured that I now wear polo-neck tops when playing with glass! 

I bet there's a market for leather pelican bibs.  Not only would that protect delicate areas but it would also catch wayward shards of glass.  I suppose that I am showing my age here...probably no-one remembers what pelican bibs are?

Oh I do!! My next door neighbour's baby had one, but my Mum said they were 'revolting'. (Not sure why, but then she is odd  ::))

I have looked on Ebay for leather aprons, as I am a bit clumse-prone (DH just rolled his eyes when I said I wanted to take up lampworking!), but nothing much under £10 inc postage at the moment, so have put out a request on Freecycle.

Cecilia

Quote from: squirsygirl on April 08, 2009, 07:22:55 PM
Always make sure the lid is tightly screwed on your bead release before shaking it.

Kirsty

I agree with this one. i threw 1/2 a large pot all round the kitchen, i could have cried. apart from the expense and the waste it went everywhere and took days to clean it all up.

Cecilia X

Stacy

Diane

QuoteI agree with this one. i threw 1/2 a large pot all round the kitchen, i could have cried. apart from the expense and the waste it went everywhere and took days to clean it all up.

I always keep my jar of bead release in a fairly large sealed zip lock bag for several reasons.  If you do leave the top loose the release stays in the plastic bag when you shake it and it also helps to stop the release from drying out (especially round the lid). When I use the release I stand the jar inside the bag in a small plantpot and just roll back the plastic bag - this keeps the jar more stable - having knocked over bead release several times this isn't really a chore ::)
Diane x

Rosenquartz

Quote from: Graeme on April 02, 2009, 05:18:15 PM
Got myself a great tip from Rosenquartz.
I was using Vermiculite in a plany pot to cool my beads but found they were still cracking. He told me that he uses a slow cooker with the Vermiculite in it. Got one for £11.99 from Tesco and it works great. I can turn it down over 3 stages and not had a bead crack since.  Thanks Neil, great tip.

Graeme

Just seen this. Thanks Graeme. Glad it worked for you. I use mine on a sort of chilly anneal-as-you-go program - I have the slow cooker on hot whilst I am working and then tuck the mandrel in under the lid and turn the cooker off when I'm done and leave it over night. I know it doesn't anneal but as you've discovered it does avoid cracked beads.

Neil
Rosenquartz