Graphic Marver

Started by Shirley, April 29, 2007, 04:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I just bought a graphite marver for my hothead - one of the ones that sits on the torch. Now I've got black hands. Question is, am I going to end up with black beads? Is there something I should do to prime it or does it not affect the beads at all?
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

mams

I like an answer to that one, good question! ;) sorry it's not much help to you though Shirley, although you maybe able to help me by telling me how you got it on the HH, I cant seem to unscrew the top part & I'm frightened of breaking it. ???

Michelle.x

Shirley

I haven't fitted it yet, just unpacked it, but there are screws on the back to undo, then slip it over the torch and tighten it up across the textured bit above the holes. At least that's how I was shown when I bought it.

Mary

It's just dust, like a pencil, you'll be fine. Wipe it with a damp cloth if it's very dusty. It will mark bead release on mandrels, but it won't mark your beads.

mams

Nope, mine must be different to yours. Thanks anyway. I got both HH and marver from Tuffnells.

Michelle.x

Shirley

Trudi

How exactly do you use these - are they to warm up the glass before you use it or to keep the bead warm - confused ........

Les

Graphite marvers are for rolling and shaping your beads on... the graphite does not get as hot as metal and consequently will not stick to the molten glass, it stays nice and smooth...

Hope this helps

Les xxx

Dragonfire Glass

I want a smaller, lighter graphite/brass marver or stumper if anyone has one lying around that they don't use....?

*Nicky*

I have a graphite marver for a hothead, althought i think you would be able to use it on any torch ?

Edited to say : mmmm should read the whole post first ..... heheh sorry i know youve already got one now !

aurora

i've noticed that with some colours (like pea green) the marver seems to make them muddy on the first point of contact, i think it's because of the heat exchange the marver being cold, and perhaps copper or other metals in the colour?????? sometimes little chips fly off my marver on the edges too, is he because it' not good quality or is this normal???

Mary

Aurora, black pits too, that's why I love my torch mounted marver. It gets hot, so the glass gets less sudden cooling. It hasn't chipped yet, but that's probably because it doesn't get moved about!

aurora

thanks mary mine is torch mounted too, but i think it may be poor quality.