Tanked oxy

Started by Charli, December 17, 2008, 10:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charli

Who has it, and who do you get it from?

Ian R Pearson

BOC or Air products agents. Check your yellow pages. Also inquire at car service/engineering businesses as to where they get gases from for welding.

Ian

Carol

If you can aquire an empty tank from somewhere, such as your local scrap dealers, then you don't have to pay rental to BOC or whoever. I take my empty one to the local scrappy & exchange for a full tank, cost £25 last time. (You do need to be VERY careful how you transport them though  ;) )
Carol

Redhotsal

Oxycon is cheaper and more convemient in the long run.

Charli

Quote from: Redhotsal on December 17, 2008, 11:22:00 PM
Oxycon is cheaper and more convemient in the long run.
But I work outside, so the damp would swiftly kill it.

I have quotes from Boc and air products and adams gas, energas won't speak to me. wandered if there were any others i had missed. i'm in derby and trying to find a local welding supply isn't a fruitful search!

glassworks

best nip round to the local scrappy to be honest... find a breakers yard and they will help too.. nothing big oily guys like doing more than "rescuing a damsel in distress"!..  ;D ;D ;D

seriously, treat tanked oxy with great respect purely due to the high pressures involved.. you MUST have flashback arrestors on both fuel and oxy lines with a tanked setup, and further i would recommend quick discconects too for absolute safety.. the oxy tank should ideally be chained upright and a secure stand too.. i have seen the safety photo's of holes punched through factory walls where oxy cylinders have fallen over..

we use tanked oxy - but carefully!!.. it IS far better for heat etc, but a little more risky to use - so just be really paranoid and safe with it!!..  8)

Les

I used to use tanked oxy before I got my oxycon.. I do love my chugger, but I have to admit that I do miss a tanked oxy flame a lot :( For me it was just too expensive to justify really

GlassOcean

I was tempted until I read this now I am far to scared!

Chicken, me?  YEP!!!!

Maikki

I am having tanked oxy, because I did not have another option when started with the dual torch. I have been thinking to buy oxycon, but still have oxy bottle too because I would like to try boro too. And always when somebody is telling here about problems with their oxycons I am thinking again, if I really need it now, when I am doing beads only maybe once or twice highest a week. Well maybe oxycon would not be problem to me, because I am working in a heated and dry room, not in a shed. And climate is drier here too, hard to believe at the moment thou...

I am keeping the bottle outside (in a shadow and the way Q told), and the propane bottle is inside, so they are in a different "room".
Maija-Leena

Ian Pearson

40 years of using oxygen in cylinders, no probs. Inside outside. On trollies, chained to walls and transported in own car. Never damaged me and still normalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll LOL

I say go for it and yes of course take all safety care but on on earth would do any different?

Ian

June

We've got tanked oxy, too, mainly as we run two torches and I haven't got the space for two oxycons.  We get them from Energas, but you need an account and have an annual 'rental' charge depending on the size of cylinder, but it works fine for us.  ;D