Tack fusing query

Started by Evadark, October 13, 2007, 08:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evadark

Right now I have only tried full fusing and turn the kiln off once the anneal stage is done just leaving it with door ajar to cool and no power so I can leave.

Am planning to try a tack fusing program but it looks like it may take forever to do (I estimate almost 10 hours just to get through the annealing). Does anyone have any ideas on how to reduce the time? Or if you can turn the kiln off after annealing and not do a programmed cooling phase?

Marie

Paula

Tack fusing should be quicker than full fusing,cos you're not taking it to the full heat.
What glass are you using?
Paula

handmadeheaven.biz

to be honest i dont think you should be messing around with timings. correct annealing etc is important so your glass stays strong once cooled. there isnt really a quick fix with glass schedules

Sarah

Marie

Are you tack fusing an addition to a piece that has already been fused? I'm sure I read somewhere that once a piece has already been fired you should slow down any subsequent firings to avoid stressing the glass.

Sulis (Hazel)

Also, how large is the piece and how many layers? I'm sure that smaller pieces can take much less time than that?!
Hazel x

Hotglass28

Good god, 10 hours? If you are tacking small pieces then it would be ok to take to tack then simply shut the kiln off and cool naturally.

What kiln you got and what are you doing would answere your question better.
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Evadark

I have an SC2, and amusing Bullseye 90COE with diachroic 90COE. The program I was given when I took a fusing course for tack fusing has the temp changing at only 60 degrees per hours. This means to reduce from the highest heat of around 700 and something to 5oo and something would take almost 4 hours. Then it has to reduce again to another lower temp, again another 4 hours and then 60 degrees per hour down to 25 or shut off which adds more time. (Sorry I dont have my notes in front of me so just quoting approx numbers from memory).

With the SC2 because I use ceramic firing shelves it cools slow enough to just leave it off and ajar after annealing on a full fuse firing. My concern was that if you are told such a slow temp rate for tack there must be a reason so. Looks like I may have to ask my studio mate if she can turn it off the next day as we alternate going in.

Marie

Sulis (Hazel)

Hi Marie,

I had a friend who was told exactly the same thing. He has an SC2 with a ceramic shelf. After some trial and error (living in mortal fear of leaving the kiln unattended for more than 3 seconds) he got the programme right down to a couple of hours in total. Then just switched it off and went out. No problems at all!

He uses Bullseye too and Dichro and fuses 2 or 3 layers in small pendants.

There is really no reason to ramp so slowly for small pieces!

I'll see if I can find a good schedule for you.  :)

Hazel  x
Hazel x