Insurance again!

Started by Lotti, January 18, 2012, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Last year I subscribed to an for their AIR subscripton and insurance cover (as in previous posts on the subject).  At the time, looking at their criteria for being eligible I did think I might be being a bit optomistic (certainly could cover two of them but a third was tricky), but did it anyway.

Now, I am a bit worried about it and contacted Hencilla (their insurance peeps) who told me to contact an, which I did and sent the below (which is their conditions, you must be able to cover 3 to be eligible) with my responses (bold and underlined)

•   You hold a degree (or equivalent qualification) in a visual arts practice. = NO (but have attended training)
•   You've held at least one public exhibition, installation or live art performance (other than a degree show) in the recent period. = NO
•   You have carried out on a paid-for basis at least one artist's residency or community project in the recent period. = NO
•   You have sold art or craft work through a gallery, exhibition space or retail outlet in the recent period. = YES
•   Your work has been reviewed, featured or profiled in an arts magazine or website or other relevant publication. = I hadn't but am about to have my work in a glass bead makers magazine.  My work has been included in 'treasurys' on Etsy (these are showcases of individuals work selected by other Etsy members).
•   You are a current member of another professional body for artists such as Contemporary Glass Society, DACS, Royal Society of British Sculptors, etc. = This is the one I am not sure about.  I am a member of GBUK and have a 'Self Representing Artist', and am a member of the Frit Happens Forum Etsy team, do these count
•   Your work has been commissioned on paid-for basis on at least one occasion by a public or private client. = YES
•   You have received at least one prize, grant, award or bursary in your capacity as a practising artist. = NO
•   You have had at least one work purchased for a public or a private collection = DON'T THINK SO!

Their response was...

Thank you for your enquiry. Unfortunately neither AIR nor a-n whose services form part of the AIR membership package of benefits can give personal guidance on whether an artist is eligible or comment on whether their personal circumstances would make them eligible. It is the artist's responsibility to determine whether the nature and scope of their artistic practice reflects the intention and spirit of these criteria. The criteria is only a guideline for artists.

So what do you folks think, in your eyes am I eligible or not and should I worry about it or not!  Have gone back to them and said so if I have to claim I won't get rejected?  Seems a bit odd to me! Apologies for the rather long message! :)

sarah t

its all a bit depending on how much you rate yourself aint it .......if i bought one of your beads it would go into my private collection  :P

i dont know what their cover is ,how much it costs etc but i would compare notes with other insurence providers

turnedlight

I think an insurance company ought to be able to tell you whether you'd be covered or not when you buy the insurance.. if they can't then maybe look elsewhere? :-\
kathryn

Lotti

Quote from: turnedlight on January 18, 2012, 05:47:58 PM
I think an insurance company ought to be able to tell you whether you'd be covered or not when you buy the insurance.. if they can't then maybe look elsewhere? :-\

Well that's the thing isn't it.  Ian Wallace is more expensive and doesn't (officially as we have seen before) cover sales outside the UK, but at least I would know I was covered, but then again lots of other folks on here are with an and I am sure they are a great organisation.  I suppose I could argue that I don't know if any of the beads I have sold have gone into a private collection adn could well have (:) :) :) Sarah. :) ).    It's only really come to the fore as I have been asked for my certificate and then got the wobblies.  I shall give this fair my current certificate and have a think about it a bit more.  Never had any probs so far having done fairs for over 6 months now on a weekly basis, you just never know though!

Blue Box Studio

Hopefully you'll never need to claim, but from enquiries a group of made (for individual cover) a couple of years back, we weren't reassured that we'd be covered.  Do AN cover you on an honesty basis, or would they wriggle out if ever you had the misfortune to claim.

Personally, I'm not a risk taker.

Ian Wallace cover a limited number of my sales to North America.  They also cover my doing light refreshments during open studio events which isn't strictly on my policy but apparently brokers have some leaway with cover.

Long before I was with IW, DH1 and I were with NIG (I think it was them) when we had a claim because someone had used a wooden turned keyring as a baby teether and the baby got a splinter from teething on the keyring.  Fortunately the insuerers picked up the tab but it went as far as a prelim hearing in court where the judge said there was no case because the clue was in the object title - key ring not baby teether.  But it was a very stressful few months for us.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

sarah t

i think the important stuff is the public liabilty bit ...

i would think that the company should know if you and your arse was covered before you commited to buy and its very sensible of you to make sure ,the insurence company wont give a stuff if you have paid them loads and you are not covered  (kerching !!) but it could make a huge difference you  if ( heaven forbid) you ever had to use it

Lotti

I think I would be better off with IW on reflection (saw your posts Sue about them and the US in another place and yes it sounds like an honesty basis and as they don't seem to be able to clarify for me, when I have tried to be honest it makes me nervous).  I would hate to have a claim and then have to argue about it.  I had only had one sale to the US (but just had a request through Etsy for 64 beads!). I also need to talk to IW about possible demo's at fairs.  Hencilla quoted me a horrendous figure.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Dragonfire Glass

I'm sticking with Ian Wallace as the AIR website states one of it's insurance exclusions is
Any use of applied heat, fire or pyrotechnics on third party premises other than the use of pottery ovens or kilns, flash paper, flash cotton or flash string

I can apply for a quote, but seeing how Lotti got a horrendous quote, I don't think I'll bother.

Ian Wallace covers me teaching and demoing which is good enough for me  ;D

turnedlight

I think I bought the Ian Wallace one, it was called Craftinsure.. though the website doesn't look familiar..
kathryn

Galloway Beads

Having read Sues post in an earlier thread I emailed Ian Wallace at that time and was informed they will not cover any sales outwith the EU. Even if its only limited to a couple a month. :(
I will be intersted to see your response from a-n Lotti.

Elaine. x

www.gallowaybeads.co.uk
My Etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/Gallowaybeads

mizgeorge

You could always go for guild of jewellery designers gold plus membership, which includes the same insurance cover as a-n (from the same underwriters) and a host of other benefits as well.

Lotti

Oh, thanks George, will have a look at that.:)

Jeanniegems

Have just been thinking about this myself and have been debating whether to go with Guild of Jewellery Designers Gold package. After Georges reply I think that is the one to go for, thanks George

Jeannie x
www.jeanniegems.co.uk
www.jeanniegems.etsy.com

Josephine

So the GOJD one covers you for teaching lampwork in your own studio like a-n? My Craftinsure policy is due in a couple of months, I think I will change.

Lotti

Um the Guild one doesn't seem to cover you if you sell out of a shop, will need to check that.  How much PL cover do we need do you think.  Looking at IW he has 3 ranges, 1mil, 3mil and 5mil?