Beadrollers

Started by Sarah A, April 01, 2011, 02:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah A

Hi being new to beadmaking and wanting to make sets of beads I thought beadrollers might be the way to go.  I am thinking of getting one or possibly two and was wondering if anyone could give suggestions as to what might be good ones to start with.  There seem to be so many different shapes and combinations that any help would be much appreciated as they are costly and want ones that will be the most use to me.

ScarletLeonard

Personally while I love the idea of bead rollers (yes I have some on order) I would like to say try making sets without any tools first.
I've been making beads for just about a year, before I even considered buying anything like this because I wanted to learn about the glass and not have to rely or be restricted too the tools I had.

I can happily now make quite consistent beads for sets and pairs (ok there's a few odd ones along the way but they get put to one side and next session there usually ends up one to match it.)

Though as far as shapes go, it really depends what you are after. I just bought the limited edition CG roller which has a lovely variety of shapes
http://www.etsy.com/listing/71025532/cgbeadroller-sampler-tool ( Christina (frit n glas) may have some left too)
CG also do other mixed shapes for smaller mandrels and BHB's

Then there are Bevs rollers...
http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28147.0 (some yummy shapes there)

Yes it is hard to decide, I can't really offer advice on which one you should get because it depends so much on what you want to be able to make.

CarrieH

I would echo what Scarlet says about learning to make basic beads first but I have to say that I rarely make a bead without using my beadroller now - it's become essential very quickly.  I have the donuts and I use it as a starting measure for all sorts of different shapes and it is very useful for sets.
Learning to use one effectively is a new skill in itself.  I also bought the mixed spacer one that is still far to small for me - I can't get a light enough footprint of glass on the mandrel.  I will hang onto it though in the hope of learning to use it in the future.   
If you're dead set on getting one (or two) then I would avoid the fancy shapes as they may still be too hard and stick to something like a donut or round set. 
Carrie x
www.CarrieandCo.folksy.com
www.carriehartshorn.etsy.com

Nikki

I just got a bead roller from this seller 

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/perlen_presse_shop/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

I have to say I prefer brass because I broke my first graphite marver when I dropped it, brass is not so easy to break. (that's just me thou, I'm not very tidy and tend to have lots of clutter).
I agree that getting used to making beads without tools is the best way to start but it's great fun to have a few tools as well and they are a skill of their own.

Les

I've never used a bead roller ... I'm looking forward to trying one out next weekend :)

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: CarrieH on April 01, 2011, 07:30:08 PM
.  I also bought the mixed spacer one that is still far to small for me - I can't get a light enough footprint of glass on the mandrel.  I will hang onto it though in the hope of learning to use it in the future.   

Have you tried making the first footprint with a thicker stringer?

Sarah A

Hi thanks for all the advice.  Scarlet, the one you have ordered looks fab.  Carrie, I was thinking of getting the mixed spacer one but will wait a while, hope you get the hang of it soon.  I will see if there are any at flame off to have a go on and see what I think there.  Thanks again.

Sarah A

Quote from: Christina on April 03, 2011, 04:46:24 PM
I have quite a few beadrollers as I am the Europea Distributor of CG-beadrollers.

I do agree that it would be best to start off with making beads (shaped by hand, using gravity heat controle ) Just because this would be a great learning curve.

However I do have to confess that I use beadrollers for allmost all my beads. Just because it is so much faster and def. a lot easier to make beads all in the same size. Which is a obligation of some of my customers.

Thanks Christina, I think I have ordered one from you to collect at FO but will still try and get some the same size etc by hand before I get too hooked using it (not that I have any idea how to use it!!).

CarrieH

Sarah,  there are some demos and tips on Donna site,  check them out:
http://www.cgbeads.com/beads_videos.html

Carrie x
www.CarrieandCo.folksy.com
www.carriehartshorn.etsy.com

Sarah A

Thanks for that Carrie, now i can't wait to get my beadroller and try it out!!