Buttons

Started by ShinySnail, February 18, 2011, 03:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShinySnail

I keep seeing people's gorgeous button pics popping up everywhere, could anybody tell me how they are made, or point me in the direction of a tutorial please?

(It's the one hole on a loop at the back kind I mean, rather than the two hole button mandrel jobbies)

It looks as though you just make a tiny bead then add a huge blob which you squish on one half of a lentil press or similar - have I got the right idea?

Thanks,
Anna  :)

Lotti

In a word - yes you do.  I have only made a couple after Julie (Lush) showed me, I am sure someone with better instructions will be along soon, but you have the right idea. :)

Magpie

That's what I've been doing. You need a bigger blob than you'd expect (or than I expected) and when you heat the blob prior to squishing make sure that you don't heat anywhere near the original spacer you made, that way the button face will stand proud properly rather than be squished into the shank. Give it a go, they're fun.

JaySpangles

Do you make the little spacer for the loop on one mandrel then do the blob on the end of a rod, attach it to the spacer and decorate it once it is sitting on the spacer?

Pat from Canvey

That's one way but anyway that works for you is fine.

★★Terri★★

Good question.  I have been hunting high a low for a tutorial.  I had read somewhere about making a cab and sticking on a donut but was wondering how I would deal with that as I don't  have a kiln with a bead door to keep things warm in.  But now I will try the 'squished blob' method.  Another really good reason to put off getting to grips with encasing ;D

Lush!

Quote from: Terri on February 18, 2011, 06:07:39 PM
Good question.  I have been hunting high a low for a tutorial. 

Tis in the pipeline  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

Lush!

Okay, here's a really quick version of how I do it.

Small mandrel, tiny bead.
Keep it warm.
Big gather.
'Drop' gather onto tiny bead.
Heat gather and let it hang down.
Press straight down into a press or on a marver.
Decorate.
;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

★★Terri★★

Just like that!

You watch me burn some more holes in the carpet ;D

julieHB

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

♥♥Tan♥♥

Or if you want to do copper shank buttons

Take a U shape of copper wire 1mm thickness is fine
Heat a blob of glass and push into/onto mold.
Decorate then punty up to the front
Melt off the main rod and flatten
Superheat and plunge your copper U into the back

Margram

That's clever Tan - I might just try that! I've been doing as Julie outlined, but pressing in my marble mold. Going to  try in different shaped moulds next :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

ShinySnail

Thanks very much everyone, I'm all inspired now!
The buttons look really lovely, hopefully I can pull it off  ;)

JaySpangles

Thank you for those midget gems everyone.  I shall look forward to having a go.

ScarletLeonard

Ohh now I am tempted to have a go at that. Love the buttons everyone has been showing off recently.