Glitter

Started by Suse, July 31, 2013, 04:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suse

Hi everyone
I've been fusing for a while now with mixed results but I'm having great fun.  Can anyone tell me if there is a glitter or glitter paint for glass that can withstand kiln temperatures?
Ta
Sue 

Nina A

I've had mixed results using Mica powder,    When I mixed it with liquid Glass it was better,  but if too much is used then the glass doesn't seem to fuse as well.
I'd also be very interested to hear what other people use.

Nina

JKC

Warm Glass has mica glitter in gold and silver colour. Janet

jeannette

I found a slight clump on the edge with mica spat it out of the side and looked pants. Warm glass also do gold and silver flakes, but you need to spread them out even as well.

MeadMoon

Mica doesn't stick to glass, so you need to fully encase it - ie. not put it too near the edges when fusing.  If you want particular shapes, I've never had good results with sifting mica through stencils - too lumpy, but if you mix the mica powder with fusers glue (or a PVA glue) and paint the mix onto plastic (I use clear A4 "punch pockets"), wait until it's dry, then it can be peeled off and cut with scissors or punches.  If you also add a little water into the mix, the glue & water don't mix properly and you can get interesting "holey" effects.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Suse

Thanks for all your replies.

I've used mica powder and also the silver and gold flakes and had varied success and failures.  pretty much as you all describe.  But what I'm looking for is a real glitter effect a bit like aventurine green & blue effect but obviously different colours?

Scoured the internet and found 'liberty glass' produce coasters etc with the exact sort of effect I'm looking for but I have no idea how they achieve it. 

Any ideas????
Ta
Sue

MeadMoon

If so, they say "coated on the back with colour glitter" so I assume that it's something added after fusing.  If it's a glitter paint, then I'm not sure whether or not they're washable.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Suse

Yep those are the ones.  I do need a product that's washable so maybe whatever they use wouldn't be ideal.  Having said that placemats and coasters would need to be washed so surely theirs must be.  I'm totally confused now..............

I have seen a glitter glass paint which is not for kiln work so maybe I'll investigate that further.  If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks all
x

jeannette

Umm, probably the care instructions will say wipe with a damp cloth. I think washing implies submerging and that might lift those types if finishes.
It's not unreasonable to issue specific care instructions though...

Not seen anything fusible except dichroic that gives that depth if glitter to be honest  :-\

♥♥Tan♥♥

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track here but most of the glittery ones I have seen are indeed painted on the back. Perhaps there is some gorgeous glittery stuff I know nothing about, wish I did!

Might be worth checking out bisque painting sites because they have all sorts of non fire colours a friend was showing me a lovely red and gold the other day.

Jane C ♫

You could paint glitter on the back then give it a couple of coats of yacht varnish! That stuff will protect virtually anything!
Hand Painted Silk and Fused Glass Artist.
Lampwork Beginner!
Website