Main Menu

Oxycon

Started by Blue Kiln Beads, June 23, 2011, 10:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Kiln Beads

Don't know if anyone can help.  I sent my oxycon to Martin to be fixed, it has been twice and he has been really good and looked at it and but new bits in etc....  but it's jsut not the same as it used to be. The flame seems to be irregular, with surges, my glass keeps going a funny colour and I'm jsut at my wits end.  Can anyopne suggest what else I might look at.  Could it be the gas bottle, although I have been using it and it was fine before, could it be the arrestor on the gas bottle?

Any help would be much appreciated I am at my wits end now and I need to get working because I have a few commissions to make.

Yvette  ???
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

kerensky

I have been having a problem with one of mine recently too.

I have two now, but when I try to run both together with the dual fitting martin supplied me with, my old oxycon goes into overload and conks out. I have noticed that there are two types of fittings connecting the hose to the oxycon, both green xmas tree types but  a different style.

If I loosen up the fitting on my old oxy it is instantly happy, because the oxygen is now escaping between the fitting and the hose.  It is almost as if the fitting is faulty? I have another hose and fitting, so I am going to check that later and see if I can resolve the problem.

You do know that they don't like to be damp don't you ?  if you store yours outside, it might benefit from being brought inside and warmed up/dried out for a few days.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted, they are temperamental little devils.....

Fabienne

Mine did that,we found that this was caused because of overheating so we took the covers of and it worked better. After reading the manual we cleaned the solenoids and re-seated them.

Oxycon works fine now :)
Fabienne
x

Pat from Canvey

Good tip Fabienne.

Blue Kiln Beads

My oxycon is indoors in my utility so it should be ok for damp.

Fabienne, a manual would be useful, where did you get yours from?

I'm at my mum's now trying it on her torch to see if it makes any difference at all.  Not sure that it will but I am so desperate I thought it would worth a try.....  ???
Yvette Goodridge

Redhotsal

It probably isn't the gas bottle and it won't be the arrestor. Sounds more to do with the oxycon. You mentioned the flame was odd looking - does it look very bushy/yellow? Is the flame "attached" to the torch or does it float a little above? If yes to any of those descriptions then you are pumping air through the system not oxygen. In other words - the oxycon will seem to be working normally but you'll be getting normal air rather than oxygen. This will also explain why your glass is a funny colour.
If you think this may be the case you really ought to get back in touch with the supplier.

Fabienne

I've got the Devilbiss and Aisep manual, got them both from the FH.

If you wish I can email them to you  :)
Fabienne
x

Blue Kiln Beads

Yes please, they may give some clues for my Companion.

Thanks
Yvette Goodridge