Finally Switched to Bulk Propane But...

Started by Barnacle Bay, June 01, 2012, 09:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weston_glass_man

Hi Redhotsal,

Thank you for this. If I was looking to go with oxygen over the next six months or so. Where would you go to start looking at kit? If you don't mind me asking.

T

Weston_glass_man

sorry hit wrong key lol

supposed to say,

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Lotti

For advice on kit etc, best folks to talk to are Tufnells, http://tuffnellglass.com/index.html or Off Mandrel http://off-mandrel.com/

Both are brilliant and really really helpful, they can give you all the advice on kit, torches etc.  For kilns lots of us use Kiln Care http://www.kilncare.co.uk/ (you can get kilns from Tuffnells and Off Mandrel too) and like the others Lee at Kiln Care is fabulous. :)  Hope that helps. :)

Weston_glass_man

Niki Gough

Rob, I am not sure if it is because I am new or what but I went from having a couple of hours tuition on a duel fuel torch then to 1 cylinder of MAPP gas on my HH at home and then on to bulk and have had no problems at all. As I say it may be because I am new and cautious and hadn't really worked on anything else but I have not had any problems with sludgy colours or anything. I am sure it takes a bit more getting used to if you have spent time on a different type of fuel/torch though.

I think if you follow the others advice you wouldn't have a problem going onto bulk. It is definitely a lot more cost effective for me. Also I must add that I bought my bulk kit from Tuffnell Glass and Martin set the regulator before he gave it to me and i haven't touched it so not sure if that helped :)

MamaQuilla - Hope you have got things sorted x
Niki x
N Designs Crafts

Every oops is an aah waiting to happen.

Weston_glass_man

MamaQuilla - thanks for that. I bought my original kit from Emma at Tuffnell. I am on my second mapp cyclinder so very new. Thanks again :)

james M knox

HI,

I started on Mapp on a HH, then switched to Bulk. Later when I had more cash I switched to a dual fuel torch with oxycon - all purchased from tuffnels. I still go back to the HH on bulk sometimes just to remind myself that speed is not everything (and cause some effects/techniques I just can't get right on the dual fuel yet)...

JMKnox

Redhotsal

Yes, what Lotti said regarding suppliers. You can probably also benefit from going to the Flame Off as you can then have a go with a dual gas torch and it really is invaluable talking to and watching others at work - you can learn so much just by watching someone else.

Also - keep an eye out on here - there have been (sadly) quite a few people having to sell up equipment lately, so there's often a good chance of a bargain.

Just one thing to remember with HHs - they don't have a supply of oxygen, but air is sucked in through a venturi system on the lower part of the torch head (where the holes are). This extra mix of air provides a little useable oxygen to the fuel mix but it is quite limited. The gases (propane and air) are more efficiently mixed towards the top of the flame, so if you are getting sludgy colours you may well need to work higher in the flame. Don't work inside the blue cone of the HH as this is a very propane (or Mapp) rich area of the flame. Great for reducing glasses - like Double Helix - but rubbish for normal working. If you are right at the top of the flame and are still getting sludgy colours then you will need to turn the flame down a little.

Weston_glass_man

Thanks Sally, yes I am going to Flame Off, looking forward to it. Thanks everyone, all comments are and have been appreciated :)

james M knox

Look forward to seeing you at flameoff as well.

JMKnox

Handfandango

HI,
wish i had read this earlier, been having the same problem all day!! RESOLVED!!!! :) I gave the inside and outside a really light sanding with P600 wet and dry and it worked a treat, burning like a dream.....I think ive just fallen in love with it for a second time and not a filthy streak in sight...!!!   :P