safety glasses

Started by mindy23, June 27, 2007, 08:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mindy23

Hi

I have a question about the glasses I have for lampworking. I got them as part of a kit 18 months ago and have been using them right through from my old hothead set up till now where I have a minor.  Yesterday when I came in my eyes were playing me up a bit and when I looked in the mirror I had these 2 reddish brown areas just to the side of my iris in each eye in exactly the same place.  I have been trying to establish what my glasses are but they are hard to identify as they are just the basic econmoy frame with a bluish purple lense.  Should I be looking for new ones now that I'm using the minor torch?  The ones I've looked at on the websites talk about ace lenses rather than didymium (or whatever it is ) but like I say I don't know what these ones are.  I'm slightly terrified of ruining my eyeballs as I'd be fairly bloody lost without  them, in fact that's one of my greatest fears anything happening to my eyes or my hands, the other bits are much less useful but also very nice to have too!  Anybody have any advice or clever ways of establishing what these glasses I have are?

It could be much worse, but... it could also be much, much better...

Marijane

Where did you buy your kit?  Can you ask them what the spec' is for the glasses?

Mari

mindy23

Good idea!  I got it as a gift actually but I think it was from somewhere in New York possibley Jodell or something, I'll look that one up.  HAs anybody else ever experienced anyhting like this?

glassworks

we use ace202 glasses in the economy frames and have never had anything like you are explaining.. i would nip out to an optometrist tomorrow and get your eyeballs eyeballed, and then hunt down what type of glasses you have.. i share your fear of anything happening to your eyesight!!!

??? 8)

Billie

I have glasses with ace202 lenses but have noticed the last couple of times on the torch that the flair still seems bright and my eyes hurt a little.  I wondered if it might also be the lighting in the room....  :-\

Mary

Do the lenses deteriorate over time, I wonder? I know welders shades for boro do.

glassworks

very good question mary, i'll ask phillips....

??? 8)

littlegiggles

I read somewhere that the didys are only really for the hh so if you upgrade you should upgrade your glasses... any ideas someone if this is true

mindy23

I tracked down where my kit came from and they were really good and sent me info on what the glasses are. They are ace rose dydimium.  Is that what everyone else is using?  The flare is really bright with some glasses.  The patches have faded in my eyes but I'm going to the optician tommorrow.  This is the info they sent

Ace (Didymium) Glass Working Spectacles in Economy Plastic Frame with Side Shields 48mm Eye Size

Rose didymium is a high luminous transmittance filter specifically designed to absorb bright yellow sodium flare (589 nm) which occurs when heating glass. Didymium lenses protect the eyes from certain visible and UV light produced in the glassblowing process. They enable the glassblower to see the glass while it is being worked in the flame.
This is the classic filter that has been used for many years in all types of hot glass applications, as well as kiln working. The lens is dichromic (exhibits different colors under various light sources). Under incandescent light, the lens is a pronounced rose color, but changes to greenish blue under fluorescent light.
The spectral analysis of this glass at 3.2 mm thick indicates that it has good protection against ultraviolet radiation up to 360 nm, has excellent filtration at the sodium line, and excellent overall visible transmission from 400 nm to 725 nm. The glass does not offer much protection in the near or mid infrared ranges.
In general, this lens is adequate for many glass-working applications where the amount of radiation generated is low.
Suggested uses:
Beginning lamp-work using hot head torches and MAPP gas, or propane torches with soft glass. Periodically viewing small kilns, acetylene torch work on solver and gold jewelry, enameling of jewelry, and operation requiring occasional viewing of heat sources in excess of 1000 degrees, but not for use with high pressure torches on hard materials where very high temperatures are generated.

At the bottom here where it suggests uses it talks more about hotheads and propane only torches. I'm using a minor with 2 oxycons, does that make any difference or is it more down to the type of glass you are working with?  Any ideas would be great!

Billie

Quote from: littlegiggles on June 28, 2007, 06:27:54 PM
I read somewhere that the didys are only really for the hh so if you upgrade you should upgrade your glasses... any ideas someone if this is true

Hmmmm... I thought ace202's were recommended for softglass...and something else was recommended for boro... rather than single or dual torches... Interesting...

glassworks

NEVER USE 202'S FOR BORO!!!!!!

Mary

There is some debate about whether boroscopes are safe too. Some people consider that they are dangerous because they don't block as much IR as they claim to, but they are dark so the pupils dilate. Auralens do really good boro glasses, but a good compromise seems to be welders shades 3 or 5 as well as didys (goggles or clip-ons).

But like Julie, I always thought that specs were rated for soft or boro, not the torch. Though I suppose it does make sense if the torch is hotter that it will be making more radiation. Sorry, I'm rambling here!

Billie

mindy23

I've e mailed the people at Jodell again and asked if these are ace 202. I'm still not 100% clear.  I'll get back when I get a reply and I'll see if I can find any more info anywhere on what's what.  I do think it's the type of glass that you use rather than the torch but wondered why I got these marks on my eyes?  Scary stuff!!

Billie

Hmmmm.... (sorry, keep saying that!!!  ;D)  I use ace202 (Downtown) as I'm using soft glass and I'm on a minnow but the soda flair is definitely brighter and I do notice my eyes hurt a little after I've been on the torch (although no spots on my eyes).  I've only had the glasses since December... I think I'll have a scout around to see if there are any other options... I had laser treatment on my eyes a few years ago to correct my sight so I don't want any damage to my eyes now  8) 8)