Dremmel question

Started by Sarah9959, September 17, 2011, 11:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah9959

Think I 'need' a dremmel for cleaning bead release from beads and hoped those who already have one could advise on the following questions:

What sort do I need - or is there only one?

How much is it likely to cost - and where is the best place to get one from?

Will it come with everything I need to clean the beads?

Is there a cheaper alternative?

Do they run on battery or mains?

Do they really make a difference as opposed to cleaning by grits or reamer, or do I just think it will be easier and faster?

Think that is all, for now at least  :) :)

Thanks  Sarah

SilverGems89

Sorry i cant help Sarah but i will be watching the replies to this thread with interest, i've been thinking about getting one too!

Blue Box Studio

Unless you buy the version with the foot pedal control, it will have to be turned on before you put the cleaning bit inside the hole (unless you have more than 2 hands).  I found doing it that way there was a chance I didn't go in straight and a chance of scratching the bead.  I use the battery reamer and find that fine.  There is a hand held pistol style Dremel (or Dremel style)  around, but if it's like my cordless screwdriver, it'd make your hands ache after a while as it's quite heavy due to the battery.  Try Axminster Power Tools for Dremel and the like, although I think Aldi/Lidl had a cheap version in it's weekly offers recently.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

TracyJayne

I bought a lookey-likey on ebay and it is great, mains, lightweight and does a good job of cleaning the beads.  Can check on the make for you if you like next time I go down to the shed.

jobead

Tuffnels do a battery powered reamer that won't break the bank and works fine for bead cleaning. I'm sure a dremel would prove useful somewhere down the line but isn't necessary just to clean beads.

I'm thinking of getting one with lots of attachments for my silversmithing, Kernowcrafts do them, but I think you can find a cheaper solution to start with.

:)
Jo

Nick

I use a Dremmel and am more than happy with it. The one I use is a mains version. I do however use the flex shaft attachment as this is a lot safer than having a mains powered tool near the water you need to cool the bits. I have a hook screwed into the wall that the Dremmel hangs on then the flex shaft reaches down to the work area. This prevents water getting near the tool when its plugged in.

This is the flex shaft I use: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-26150225PD-Dremel-Flexi-Shaft/dp/B0002SMO36/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316284546&sr=8-1

JaySpangles

I have the rechargeable one with a pistol grip, it is great, no wires or electric near the water.  I got mine from B&Q but I think that particular model (the Dremel Hobby I think) has now been discontinued.  Much quicker than a small battery reamer (although that does the  job just fine)  No tired hands, it is quite light.

SueP

I have a rechargeable JML version that I got cheap from focus ages ago never seen it again and am dreading it breaking down :o I would go for the battery reamer

dangerousbead

Quote from: jobead on September 17, 2011, 02:26:40 PM
Tuffnels do a battery powered reamer that won't break the bank and works fine for bead cleaning. I'm sure a dremel would prove useful somewhere down the line but isn't necessary just to clean beads.

I'm thinking of getting one with lots of attachments for my silversmithing, Kernowcrafts do them, but I think you can find a cheaper solution to start with.

:)
Jo
Tuffers can't get the replacement bits for this though, pity because it's nifty.

Emerald

Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

mizgeorge

Quote from: Emerald on September 17, 2011, 10:55:13 PM
I have a Freya  ;D

LOL. At least you don't have to worry about batteries or replacement bits for one of them ;)

Trudi

I had a cheap one  ;Dfrom lidl for about 3 years, but the button for the spindle lock went and chafing  reamers was a little tricky (but not impossible) and I can't complain as I had it for a few years.

I've literally just bought a new one from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320703812409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And this baby has a spare battery and is so quiet, it's a dream.

SilverGems89

Quote from: Trudi on September 18, 2011, 07:24:12 AM
I had a cheap one  ;Dfrom lidl for about 3 years, but the button for the spindle lock went and chafing  reamers was a little tricky (but not impossible) and I can't complain as I had it for a few years.

I've literally just bought a new one from eBay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320703812409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

And this baby has a spare battery and is so quiet, it's a dream.

Trudi that looks fab! what bits do you use in it?

Studio Girl

I bought mine from Aldi it had something like 105 bits to go with it
all except to the dremel thingy which I bought from Martin it's great love it
and only about £15.00

Kalorlo

I've been wondering about this - I have a Silverline Dremel-alike with flexshaft, but its lowest speed seems too high for cleaning beads with because I can't easily get the reamer into the bead hole when it is on. So I went back to my grits.