Prometheus Pro-7 Kiln - Any Recommendations??

Started by Fruddy, October 22, 2010, 04:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruddy

Well, the kiln fund is going well - my beads on ebay are now up to four hundred quid!!  Hoping that by the time they finish on Saturday night, they may go a little higher too!

I have been looking at kilns today - I was pretty certain that I was going to go for a Bead Cube, but then I spotted the Prometheus Pro7 on Tuffnells website, and I was wondering if anyone had one??

Here's the link....

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/contents/en-uk/d33.html

It is a bit more expensive than the Bead Cube, but it is a lot bigger inside and I am conscious of the fact that I really love making focals - want to make sure that what I buy I am not having to sell in 12 months time because I need something bigger!

If anyone has one, or has an opinion on what they're like, I would be really grateful!

Thanks.

Billie

Are you going to be doing any fusing or PMC work down the line?   Have you considered the Maxi or Bluebird kilns?  Or is worktop space an issue?  In which case, I don't have personal experience of one, but you're probably thinking along the right track if the "7" is the same size externally as the bead cube but has a larger internal chamber and your a high producer, but space is limited.  Lee, I'm sure, will push the UK made kiln ( ;))... At the end of the day, however much information you're given, you'll have to make the decision.  Why don't you give Martin a call and grill him about it and then speak to Lee about the Maxi? 

I have a Caldera (because I intend to work with clay further along the line), and while it's cube like, I predominantly make large, pressed beads.  I place the beads to the side furthest from me, and then by the time I put in the next bead, I can move the other beads along/stack them as they're no longer tacky. Unless you're teaching several people at a time, I'm not really sure you need anything the size of the Bluebird, but bottom line is it's up to you...  Same as a torch also comes down to personal preference...

Dizzy Di

SC2 or SC3  this is a really versatile kiln, for a first kiln, it anneals (bead door) fuses, casts glass, silver clay and  slumps glass, just to name a few,  just in case you become totally addicted to glass  ;D ;D

Glass is addictive I startred making beads and now cast, fuse, slump and stained glass when I have too :D

It may be wise to wait a few weeks sell the kids old clothes and toys, and buy a kiln that will cover all bases then you will not have to upgrade to try new things in the future.

I went on a  fusing course and asked which kiln would they recommend ??? well I came away with a J14 which is no good for lampworking unless you want to batch anneal as it has no bead door but it was at the time the largest kiln that creative glass had that went on house hold electric without the need of a sparkie or 3 phase electric, like the kiln I really wanted :( and still unable to anneal as i went with the beads which was what I was looking for in the first place ;D

Dianne ;D

SilverGems89

i've had a look at a pro 7 but not seen one working, they look like a nice kiln and the internal chamber size is just slightly larger than a SC2 (not sure about the size of an SC3) i think they are cheaper too? To be honest i think you would do fine with a bead cube though, i went and had a play at Jo's (caraj316) and in the whole day between both of us we only just filled the beadcube and there was a whole range of beads in there and you could always batch anneal smaller beads and only garage when you want to make focals? i think you can fuse with a bead cube too (although limited on size obviously)
Like everyone else has said its down to you really, what budget you have, what you want to do with it and how much space you think you need  :)

Zeldazog

Quote from: Dizzy Di on October 22, 2010, 09:19:17 AM
I went on a  fusing course and asked which kiln would they recommend ??? well I came away with a J14 which is no good for lamp-working

I hate it when that happens!  Even though I am only teaching fusing when I do my classes, when discussing kilns, I make sure we talk about all the options available and whether any type of kiln is suitable for other work too. 

Fruddy, I don't know much about the Pro 7, the only thing I would say is double check on the controller - it looks like it has a similar controller to it's smaller brother: with the smaller one, although you could programme each segment, you couldn't do a full cycle and walk away - you had to keep coming back to change the steps.   This is not a problem if you're only bead annealing, as you'd garage, then set it off on the next stage when you're done.  But if you chose to do fusing in the future, you'd potentially have to kiln sit to progress it on to the next segment.

I *honestly* don't know, it could have a better controller, and apologies if it has - I am sure Martin can clarify that for you.

paintboxcrafts

I have an SC3, it measures 8"x8"x8" inside. I chose to have it with a bead door and a window, as I like to hedge my bets.
So far I have used it for enamelling, bronze clay, annealing, and most recently, fusing.
If like me you likely to off at a tangent and want to try something else it's ideal, if it's just for annealing beads then something smaller and cheaper would be fine.
Like Billie if I'm doing a lot of beads then I pile them to one side to make room for fresh ones. I thought they would all stick together in a lump, but it hasn't happened yet.
Cathy
www.paintboxcrafts.co.uk  www.paintboxcrafts.etsy.com

Fruddy

Quote from: Billie on October 22, 2010, 06:43:06 AM
Are you going to be doing any fusing or PMC work down the line?   Have you considered the Maxi or Bluebird kilns?  Or is worktop space an issue?  In which case, I don't have personal experience of one, but you're probably thinking along the right track if the "7" is the same size externally as the bead cube but has a larger internal chamber and your a high producer, but space is limited.  Lee, I'm sure, will push the UK made kiln ( ;))... At the end of the day, however much information you're given, you'll have to make the decision.  Why don't you give Martin a call and grill him about it and then speak to Lee about the Maxi? 

I have a Caldera (because I intend to work with clay further along the line), and while it's cube like, I predominantly make large, pressed beads.  I place the beads to the side furthest from me, and then by the time I put in the next bead, I can move the other beads along/stack them as they're no longer tacky. Unless you're teaching several people at a time, I'm not really sure you need anything the size of the Bluebird, but bottom line is it's up to you...  Same as a torch also comes down to personal preference...

Thanks Billie :)

I did look at the Maxi but I don't have the space for anything that large,at least not in my current location.  Lee my hubby has said that in the future we could maybe convert the garage for me, but at the moment I am in the outhouse and whilst have a decent amount of space, I would struggle with the Maxi, as I have my Oxy on part of my worktops as well, as the washer and dryer are housed under some of the space under my benches.

I will email Martin and get his opinion on whether it would be suitable for my needs - the poor soul is used to me contacting him now!!

Thanks again!

Black Heart Beads

I have a SC3 I was planning on selling so if decide on one of those and dont mind second hand just let me know.

Lee - Kilncare

To be honest, although I have repaired many many SC2s and the likes I have never once come across a Pro 7 but they are relatively new to the U.K.

I'm not beating any U.K. drums here, honest, but you really need to look at what the back-up with regards to spare parts is. Even the best kiln can go wrong as with anything. Are these kilns made in Turkey I think??

I had a poor woman on yesterday desperately trying to get her kiln fixed (not naming the kiln but it must be Britains best selling Yankee). It appears it may be the relay, we haven't got one unusually and there are none in the U.K. as she can find. She has to wait for a shipment from America. Maybe a one off but always worth baring in mind I think.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

garishglobes

...and you'll be glad to hear that after some very sound advice from Lee, that poor woman now has a working kiln with relay!   ;D ;D ;D

However, the point is very valid. It took some searching, several phone calls and a couple of dead ends to find the relay - I've been without the kiln for a week at a time when I really could have used it. I do now know where to look in future, but it took some frustration to get there, and buying a kiln that has good availability of spare parts is very sensible advice.

Billie

Better post a link up in the relevant section in case it happens to anyone else  ;) ;D

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: garishglobes on October 22, 2010, 11:21:39 AM
...and you'll be glad to hear that after some very sound advice from Lee, that poor woman now has a working kiln with relay!   ;D ;D ;D

However, the point is very valid. It took some searching, several phone calls and a couple of dead ends to find the relay - I've been without the kiln for a week at a time when I really could have used it. I do now know where to look in future, but it took some frustration to get there, and buying a kiln that has good availability of spare parts is very sensible advice.
Ah that's fantastic news. I did feel for you yesterday but it's horrible when there is nothing I can do. I have ordered a few in, as I said, the last one was fitted and everyone ( me >:( ;D ) forgot to order new. :-\

Anyway, you are sorted so that's cool. Now then, where did you get the relay from. They do seem to be the weak link in the SC2s armour so a good supplier would be good for all to know.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

poledra1958

I have the Pro-1 (its smaller brother) which I got for doing silver clay work before starting bead making.  And I love my Pro 1.  I have now had it about 2 or 3 years and had no problems with it at all, I do use it for batch annealing and have to say, if and when funds are available I will go for the Pro-7.

Jenny

HH on Bulk,

garishglobes

Well, I feel a bit of a numpty really, except that it took several links on Google and a number of phone calls to find the answer - but it came from Hobby Ceramicraft and is apparently one that fits several Paragon kilns across the range.

SilverGems89

Quote from: poledra1958 on October 22, 2010, 11:46:58 AM
I have the Pro-1 (its smaller brother) which I got for doing silver clay work before starting bead making.  And I love my Pro 1.  I have now had it about 2 or 3 years and had no problems with it at all, I do use it for batch annealing and have to say, if and when funds are available I will go for the Pro-7.

Jenny

whats the controller like on the pro 1 Jenny?