Main Menu

104 white and clear

Started by SilverGems89, February 02, 2010, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverGems89

Im about to order some glass for the first time (OMG EXCITING) but i've heard so many differing views on what glass is best etc. especially it seems with white and clear! So to keep it simple im sticking with effetre and cim for the minute, i want white as a base for transparents and clear to encase (obviously?) although as long as tuffnells stock it i dont mind what make these 2 colours are!
All advice greatly welcome!
Gemma
x

Kaz

Standard Effetre opaque (pastel) white (don't get anice white as it is reactive and also very shocky in the flame) and Effetre 006 crystal clear.
If you wanted a different white CIM Peace is also good.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

SueP

Try CIM peace for the white I think it is a tad stiffer ;D and Effetre 006 clear goes on nicely not that my encasing is any good ;D

helenfc

if it helps (coming from an ever-so-newbie) I have had way more success encasing with Effetre 006 crystal clear stringer than the full rods and would definitely recommend getting some to play about with, its thick enough to give a nice layer of encasing (and thicker than I can hand pull successfully yet!).   ;)

SilverGems89

Thanks guys, i'll get 006 clear and i'll get half effetre white and half peace! I ordered the effetre stringer mixed pack so fingers crossed i'll get some clear in there to play with as well!
and i can hear my bank account crying already, with my conversion kit in my basket  :P

Mand

Be careful with the CIM Peace.  If you're putting your beads straight into the kiln from the flame you'll be fine, but if not and they're going into vermiculite or a fibre blanket they may crack!  I had trouble with Peace, Marshmallow and Cirrus.  (All gorgeous btw!) :)

Veebee

And I believe the CiM whites need a higher annealing temp too.......?
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

SilverGems89

I have annealing bubbles rather than vermiculite, and they will be in a slow cooker, so fingers crossed my peace will be ok, as i couldnt get any effetre white  :(

Mand

Quote from: Veebee on February 04, 2010, 05:14:52 PM
And I believe the CiM whites need a higher annealing temp too.......?

I've never annealed mine at a higher temp, they all go in together. ;) ;D