dichroic coated copper foil ......results dissapointing or just me ?

Started by sarah t, August 19, 2010, 10:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sarah t

i treated myself to some of this and its not a cheap treat !!

so i follow the instuctionss ...checked out the video etc ...and all i get is like bits of tin foil ???...pretty but not the colours i was expecting  :( .....anyone else had better results ...got any tips ?

think i will stick to my swizzle stix in future

helbels

Nope it's not just you. I bought some last year from Franz and didn't get anywhere at all with it.  My results resembled "dandruff" on my bead!

I recently bequeathed it to Becky (Chameleon) and I believe she was finding it "interesting" too!!

♥♥Tan♥♥

Diane

Well beads made with this will be popular then Tan - because that's just what it looks like ::) Can you tell I'm not taken with the stuff either ;D
Diane x

♥♥Tan♥♥

Its a blooming expensive thing to learn though isnt it? I was looking at this stuff a while ago and thought twice

Chameleon

Yep, despite lots of smoke and flames the head and shoulders did nothing to help....  :D :D

I have had a (very) limited amount of colour come from it on a clear base encased with clear but I would stick with traditional dichro on glass or if you are happy to do multiple in and out of kiln-ings dichroslide.

edited to add -

Button with Dichro Dandruff. the only time I have managed to get anything other than the badly-encased-fried-silver-foil-dandruff look. and you do have to hold it just right to see it.

helbels

Wow Becky, that's WAY nicer than anythign I ever got out of it !  Mine really did look just like it had got bits in it....

Trudi

I'm thinking that looks really nice too!!

and funnily enough, I've just bought some dichro slide - came yesterday, so i haven't tried it yet!

Chameleon

Well, if i could get it to do that again it would be ok, but I cant lol it has gone back to pure grey dandruff  ::) i guess the moon has gone out of the correct alignment or something lol

Trudi, dichroslide is fun  :) you can do shapes and stuff

Trudi

I have punches at the ready  ;D - can you leave it uncoated on a bead???

♥♥Tan♥♥

Trudi and dichro slide, now this is something I can't wait to see ;D

Sulis (Hazel)

I thought it was just me!!

Got some of this stuff a few weeks back. I have managed to get it to stay shiny, but not get any colours. It seemed like the only way to stop it burning out altogether was to keep it out of the flame and keep it cool. When I rolled it on a warm bead and encased immediately as cooly as I dared, it stayed shiney. Provided I didn't get it too hot when melting the encasing layer in. It seems to need a cooler working temp than dichro coated glass.

On top of that, I don't really like the way that the coating breaks up on it's own - it seems to flake rather than crumble, which means you don't get so much control over where it's being applied to. I've tried chopping it up with a blade first and other than feeling like I'm some kind of wierdy drug addict, it does help a little with application, but it's yet more faffing. Not ideal. And ofcourse it also means that the blummin stuff gets everywhere - a very expensive waste.

I won't be getting any more of it, that's for sure.  :(
Hazel x

sarah t

glad its not just me ......i wont be buying it again either ......think i might get more use out of the copper its on  ::)

unless anyone comes up with something stunning i reckon this ones goes in the dont bother pile .... :(

Black Heart Beads