How best to clean spilt frit?

Started by Steampunkglass, October 13, 2009, 11:18:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steampunkglass

It wasn't even near the end of the bench but I managed to knock a jar of frit on the floor this weekend, and it's not an easy on to replace. I swept up most of it and put it into a seperate jar to the few remaining unspilt grains, popped some water into try and wash it off as it's got loads of dust and grot and cats hairs in there with it now (and I only hoover up in there last week!)  ::)

I am sure I'm not the first to do this, appart from washing then blotting and drying ontop of the kiln has anyone got any bright or clever ways to clean it?

Mary

You should be able to float off cat hairs in water, like panning for gold. If it's dry you could try putting it in a bowl and blowing the gunk out? Otherwise I'd just hope most of it burns off!

For future reference, if you put the toe of a pair of tights over the nozzle of your hoover, poke it in a bit to make a pouch, the nylon will catch the frit as you hoover. A seed beader's tip!

Steampunkglass

QuoteFor future reference, if you put the toe of a pair of tights over the nozzle of your hoover, poke it in a bit to make a pouch, the nylon will catch the frit as you hoover. A seed beader's tip!

ahhhhh! I knew someone on here would have a clever idea! Instead of buring off when I get dust it tends to cause bubbles in boro, thus wanting it really clean. I shall have a go at the panning idea tonight!

Flyingcheesetoastie

What about cooking it a little in the kiln to burn the dust off ?

hollergrafik

borrow a pair of tights from your Missus, put them over the end of the hoover pipe and secure with tape, then hoover the frit, when you have a load on the tights, turn the hoover off while over the pot, gets the debree off, I know this from dropping several thousand seed beeds.

Kaz

I know this may sound shocking  :o - but I would just hoover it all up and buy a new pot. Life is too short!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

LittleHen

Steampunkglass

QuoteI know this may sound shocking   - but I would just hoover it all up and buy a new pot. Life is too short!
Kazx
:D :D :D
You're probably right! It's partly the miser in me, I do hate waste though and it seems such a shame to just chuck it away. Luckly most of it landed in a nice pile so was able to sweep it up onto a pit of paper no problem; anyway washing frit sounds much more fun than washing dishes!  :D