Glasses

Started by kerensky, November 30, 2008, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerensky

Hello everyone, I am having a problem trying to add decoration to my beads without taking my Didymium glasses off, I am finding that I just can't see the clearly enough with some colours I am working with.  I have to wear regular glasses for close work anyway so usually put those on instead. I don't really want to get in to the habit of doing this as I don't want to strain my eyes.
I do have a lamp that is pointed at the torch too to give me extra light, but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Keren

littlegiggles

If I am understanding you right to lampwork you take your normal glasses of to put didys on.  If that is the case I guess the fine stringer could be out of focus.  The solution would be either to get prescription didys.. cheeper got from the states... or a lampwork screen which goes between you and the bead but means you can wear your glasses...

If I've miss read your post I'm sorry.... the only thing I would advise is more light

aoturoa

What torch are you using? If it's a Hothead, you don't desperately need to use didy glasses, though it is recommended.

You can get clip on didys. They're not cheap and they're a little awkward as they're quite heavy. Tuffnell's sell them.

littlegiggles

please please please always use protection for your eyes... they are the only eyes you get

aoturoa

Not to argue against that, because it's very true - but advice on didys and hotheads is very confused.

For instance, I have read a book that recommends not to use them as the flame is bushy and the didys blur out the flame, leading to burns.

littlegiggles

burns heal.... glass when melting gives of visible and non visible light frequencies... these harm your eyes which dont heal

kerensky

Hello again, I am using a Carlise Mini CC torch, and don't laugh here but i am wearing my didy's over my glasses, how lovely I must look!

I am contemplating getting a screen from Martin for Xmas from hubby as the balancing act is intensely annoying! perhaps this is why I can't see if others don't seem to have this problem.?

littlegiggles

lol...need a photo of that... maybe a screen would be better

maybe theres something about where your light is and what direction its coming from, what type of bulb it is... all that sorta fun stuff

kerensky

Err bulb... dunno - one that came with the ikea lamp, very small and impossible to buy if blows probably, what sort of light is best?

The light is on the right of my torch about a foot away, pointed at the torch area, I also have a set of spots overhead but behind me but all pointing in that general direction, you could almost land a plane in my shed, but it would appear not decorate a bead......

shucks

littlegiggles

wow... thats a lotta light

the bulb thing.... when I've done embroidery I've needed a natural light lightbulb to see the colours properly... just a thought... no ideas otherwise

Sarah

I can't lampwork without my prescription lenses so wore my didys over them for months.

Buying a screen made life so much easier - I highly recommend it  :)

Sarah
xxx

Ian R Pearson

Just to re-inforce the eye protection thing. Even if one thinks Didy isnt required then the very minium should be safety glasses to protect against flying glass. Any book that states eye protection isnt needed should not be taken seriously.

Plastic clip ons are available and light. Also look at oversize wrap arounds.

Ian

kerensky

Thanks for the advice, i shall be looking at getting a screen and adjusting the light in the meantime to help with better focus, don't fancy an eye injury or damage at all!

Krysia@No98

When the hospital take things out of your eyes they do it while your awake.

Then you have weeks of eye drops that make your eyes blurry and you nose run

And if your lucky that will be the worst of it
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

suzielaws

I have glasses also and I use a screen from Martin, would not be without it. My ears hurt if I try and balance two pairs of glasses on them at the same time!!