Shelf Primer and Bead Release

Started by Shed79, January 24, 2012, 09:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shed79

I'm running a bit low on bead release but I have a 400g tub of Bullseye Shelf Primer.  I bought this a while ago and apart from a brief experiment with a microwave kiln I haven't used it. 

Does anyone know if you can use a thicker emulsion of Shelf Primer as a viable alternative to bead release, and has anyone tried this and how did you get on?  I would give it a try myself but I'm in the process of relocating the shed and I'm also out of gas.

Thanks,
Kev

Zeldazog

Kev, I can't remember exactly but I am sure I read somewhere that the main difference between shelf primer and bead release are the binders that hold it together - I seem to think that shelf primer doesn't have the same "strength" when put under the strain of molten glass being wrapped round it

Could be wrong, hopefully someone else will come along soon.

Shed79

Many Thanks, that makes perfect sense.  Before I get some ordered does anyone else have any experience?

Cheers,
Kev

Hazel

when I first started I tried all sorts of different bead release. Fusion is the best I found for general use - and as Kay said it's 20% off and a large tub lasts ages

Shed79

Many Thanks for the replies
I'll keep the shelf primer for it's intended purpose and wait for the delivery of Fusion in the next couple of days.

Cheers,
Kev

Sarah9959

You could always give the shelf primer a go with one or two simple beads and see what happens - it would be interesting to know!

Sarah