Which Torch?

Started by Sarah999, December 22, 2008, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah999

Hi.

I am trying to find a torch that is reasonably priced. But I am not sure which bits and bobs I need to set up.

If i bought this set from tuffnellglass...

http://www.tuffnellglass.com/index.html?lang=en-uk&target=d28.html

What else is essential?

Also I would have to set this up in my uni room, how safe would this be?

And also I was wondering how many rods you are likely to get in a kilo???

So many questions!

Thank you
xxx

Jolene

You will need a very good extractor fan, a marver, a  pokey tool of some sort, fiber blanket or a big tub of vermiculite, mandrels, bead release and some glass.

From what I remember of Uni accommodation....they are red hot on smoke/heat detectors etc which may be a problem for you. Working in a carpeted space is not a good idea either really as some glass can be really shocky. A heat proof work surface would be a good idea too.

You get roughly 10-13 rods in 250g....so multiplying up maybe 40-52 in a kilo........but it really depends on the diameter and length of the rods...........

Jo x

Sarah999

Hi.

Thank you for your advice.

Will it be ok if I just open the window?

What would the pokey tool be for? Dragging the glass?

xxx

Shirley

An open window can work, but it isn't just about providing clean air, it's about removing the fumes.

A rake or pick has loads of uses - dragging the glass, poking together flower petals, plunging dots. Essential bit of kit.

If you go for the complete kit from Martin you will get a pretty good start. Whichever kit you go for make sure you get the glasses.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 

ejralph

TBH I would be surprised if you would be allowed to set up in your Uni room.

Are you thinking about a duel torch or a hot head set up? You could probably get away with a hot head and small mapp cannisters in uni accomodation but even still you will need to set up proper ventilation AND have good make-up air coming in to the room too ro replace the air being extracted. This make up air cannot be taken from too close to where the exhausted air is going out for obvious reasons.

Don't forget, not only are their nasty fumes from melting the glass there is also carbon monoxide to consider just through having the naked flame burning and that can be fatal. You gotta make sure you are safe when doing this.

Emma

Ian Pearson

Please dont think about setting up in Uni room. Just think of the fire hazzards. Surely the Uni wouldnt allow that. Pretty sure it would invalidate your accomodation agreement/contract.

Ian

Hotglass28

What are you studying?  If it is a art course could you ask if you could use their workshops?

If not, I think you may have to wait till weekends and holidays and set up in your parents house/boyfriends ect?

I think you would real problems with your uni diggs, the fire alarms would be going crazy.

What a pain eh! This must be fustrating for you.

Denise
www.facebook.com/pages/The-Owl-Goes-Hoot/567182803365298
www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheOwlGoesHoot?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Sarah999

I am studying Geography, so no hope there.
And my parents live in Teeside.
I am in Uni accomodation. but it is a house, which is why I though I could get away with it, so it isnt like we cant have candles or flames like in Uni halls.
I have tried to find places in Nottingham to do it, but on my student loan, I am struggling to feed my self and pay bills, never mind pay to rent someones space, and pay for travel too.

I am thinking I might just have to wait until I get a job and find a house :(

Is it not safe to do it indoors? If not then where do people do it???

xxx

ejralph

I think when you said Uni room, most of us assumed you were in halls or something.

In a house it is somewhat easier to get all the safety precautions in place, however it might still be not allowed under your rental agreement or you might need to get some public liability insurance or something.

Either way, there is oodles of stuff on the forum about setting up a torch safely. Or if you have a garden, you could always get a shed which is what many of us use!

Emma

turnedlight

I think you would need to ask the landlord first, and you wouldn't be able to store the propane indoors. Has your shared house got a garden or yard? Maybe there's somewhere to work outside?
kathryn

Sarah999

I just realised afterwards that I had said uni room, not uni house.
We dont hava garden, so no luck there!

Oh well Ill have to see what my landlord says!

Thanks though everyone!

xxx

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: turnedlight on December 23, 2008, 05:27:30 PM
and you wouldn't be able to store the propane indoors.
Why not? Some homes without central heating have calor gas heaters inside. I use my propane indoors all the time. you're more likely to get killed in a car crash than in a propane explosion. Remember it's not your driving that might be at fault but the lunatic who crashes into you. I've used my propane indoors for two years with no problems.
See <a href="http://www.tgsindustrial.co.uk/Page/se_calorgas.aspx">Calor gas heaters

Funky Cow

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on December 28, 2008, 05:23:51 PM
Quote from: turnedlight on December 23, 2008, 05:27:30 PM
and you wouldn't be able to store the propane indoors.
Why not?

Hmmm.... this is a topic which keeps on coming up! Have a look at this document from the Health & Safety Executive:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/chis5.pdf

Although it doesn't advise that keeping cylinders indoors is illegal, it does advise keeping them away from occupied buildings. In the case of gas heaters, they have been designed for the purpose! I guess each of us has to assess the risk for ourselves, but I think any of us would be on very dodgy ground with an insurance company if anything went amiss  :-\
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

turnedlight

I am a landlady, and I wouldn't be best pleased if a tenant had that lot in the house. Since all gas appliances in the house have to be vetted by a corgi blokie every year, maybe I'd allow it if they had said equipment checked too..
kathryn

Pat from Canvey

see also  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane
and cursor down to the Propane Risks section. Nowhere does it mention the production of carbon monoxide. You will get Carbon Monoxide if your central heating boiler is not regularly serviced though. See other  propane "Inside the Home" products: at http://www.usepropane.com/select/clothes_dryer?categories=home
and see also http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=26
that is, if you inhale it. Given that it is heavier than air you'd have to fill up an enclosed space, say a 6x4 ft room with all doors and windows closed to a depth of at least 5 ft to inhale and cause damage to your lungs.Most of us live in houses with rooms or use sheds that are bigger than that and have at least a window open.
How many of you use aerosols in your home, hairspray, deodorants and air fresheners. I have more lung problems with those than I have ever had using my propane indoors. Provided you tighten all fittings so that there are no leaks, it's just not a problem. I don't however use candles in the home because there is statistically more danger in using those and causing fires. The Health and Safety document doesn't give me any additonal information than that I already know. My motto is, worry about things that can really be a danger to you or have proved to be a danger in the past. I've been the victim of bad drivers so I look out for them on the roads. I've also been involved in a fire, so I don't use candles, not that that particular fire was caused by candles. Neither do I use aerosols having two sons and myself with asthma and both boys when children, requiring hospitalisation on many occasions despite daily medication. Genetics will out you know. I've never had a problem with propane. Oh and whenever my children were involved with water, I watched them like hawks and never let them be unsupervised. That's why they all swim well and have their certificates to prove it.