What happened - here anyone know?

Started by jeannette, July 09, 2012, 09:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeannette

I know my pics aren't great, but I realised I needed a new camera or a lens for the Nikon right about when I started a bidding frenzy on a kiln and a million other things - so apologies.
This is made from a student glass pack from warm glass....
How did I go from this at the top right (looked so nice in my head)...
http://flic.kr/p/cu7zPd
To this....
http://flic.kr/p/cu7sFY

Errr - baffled.com
Only the red centre of the "flower" was marked as a striker!

BeeBeads

I have no idea .. but I like it!   :D

Zeldazog

When you get student packs, quite often they're not labelled at all, so just because other colours weren't labelled as such, they obviously were!  The joys of student packs...

I know there's a Bullseye glass that looks a sort of milky white colour pre-fired and goes salmon pink... sometimes looks slightly streaky, but I have seen it quite plain too.

(I did the same with a green mosaic dish, added what I thought was some pale lemon yellow - turned it was a bright orange striking colour, and that was all my own fault because it was an offcut from a sheet I'd used....  ;D ;D)

jeannette

Thanks, Bee. It's not really what I had in my head!

Yes, dawn - that sounds like it. In fact, there was also a lilac that is streaky which went real dark pink when I fired it and I was looking at this milky white piece with a certain amount of suspicion, but I'd been lulled into a false sense of security with the orange piece being labelled I reckon.
So it actually looks a bit more pleasant in the photo - salmon pink and lilac...go figure! And that's a triple whammy of strikers right there....that'll teach me  ;D

dangerousbead

Hazel

when I get unknown glass colours I often fire small pieces (and save with the remainder) to test the result before I use them in a project, I've got caught out too many times before! Red and orange strikers look like pale yellow, violet striker looks like light sky blue, light pink striker is very pale and gets quite dark when fired... some of the opals look almost like transparents... the student packs contain a real random mix!! Have fun!!

Kaz

Quote from: Zeldazog on July 09, 2012, 09:42:16 PM
(I did the same with a green mosaic dish, added what I thought was some pale lemon yellow - turned it was a bright orange striking colour, and that was all my own fault because it was an offcut from a sheet I'd used....  ;D ;D)

and that *mistake* looks beautiful on my sideboard! ;D ;D ;D
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Krysia@No98

yup, what the others have said.  What you have used there is striking red. I does the same thing as lampwork striking red.  Now go label the stuff you haven't used so you know for next time!  ;D

I will say that I like it with the red.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

MeadMoon

I've done exactly the same with glass from a Fusing Starter Pack which wasn't labelled and completely spoiled a couple of pieces but can just about live with the others.  It's a good idea to do a test fuse, but some of these pieces are so small that there's not much left if you cut a piece off to test.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

kerensky

What a nice surprise, really like it.

nuttybeader

It is a lovely piece regardless of the fact you did not expect it to turn out.  Serendipity I call it.  I also use student packs and get some interesting results.

Zeldazog

Quote from: Kaz on July 10, 2012, 07:24:08 AM
Quote from: Zeldazog on July 09, 2012, 09:42:16 PM

and that *mistake* looks beautiful on my sideboard! ;D ;D ;D

:-* :-* :-*

Margram

I really like it - lovely rich colours :). You must have thought your kiln fairy was playing tricks on you! ;D
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

jeannette

Thanks for the kind comments, I was very surprised! Showed someone at work and she made this face where her lips puckered up and nose went crinkly, then said "I'm just not sure"'.
So I think its the kind of coaster only a mother would love ;)

jobead

I thought the same, a striking colour, either way I really like it if that's any consolation ;)