bead rollers, if you could have just one?

Started by MadelineBunyan, November 25, 2010, 05:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadelineBunyan

I asked if I could maybe borrow one, but they are obviously too good, so, which should I buy?

I'm looking for a round one possibly, with a 15mm ish cavity maybe ,but what else?

(whenever I go on the site I get so distracted by all the cool shapes, I forget that what I want is something that I can use as a base, to make beads the same size,then decorate, mostly for bracelets and earrings, I need to go there thinking what am I going to use the beads for? and instead I end up thinking, but beads that shape would be sooo nice...)

multi shapes? single shapes, or those long thin ones that you can make multiple beads on a mandrel if you want?

if you could only have one, which would it be?

what do you love about them, what don't you like?other than once you start you want them all?

dinah46

Quad squad is a good one to start with as it has 4 shapes of a pretty good size to try out - should help you decide which shape you like best.

Problem is, they're very addictive, one just won't be enough :D

MadelineBunyan

hmm...yes, see now what you've done is got me looking at the site...which I wasn't going to do this evening as I'm off out!

hehehe

mizgeorge

Oh Madeline - stop torturing yourself. Pick one. Pay for it. Get it. Play with it. If you hate it, there'll be a queue of people happy to buy it from you. If you love it, buy more!

Simples.

princess pink

I've got 3! They are the ribbed round spacers, ribbed round large, and disc pandora plus. Love em all but still getting used to disc one. The ribbed one is immense!

MadelineBunyan

I quite like the ribbed ones, but I feel they just want to be plain glass colours, or plainish anyway, and I don't do plain colours! hehehe

JaySpangles

I got the donut spacer one by accident (I had ordered something else and they sent that by mistake).  I kept it and it is the most used item on my worktable.  I really like things the same diameter and I find I can use it as a foundation then build on the design and size at will.  I like it much more than the round (which I had originally ordered).
I am going away for the winter in a couple of weeks, so if you want to borrow it while I am away i can post it to you on 8th December.  I would like it back by early Feb, but I am really hopeless with presses and I find these bead rollers soooo easy to use I would just go for it - and as MizGeorge says stop torturing yourself.

MyPrecious

I use my donut spacer one and the chunky donut one the most. :) I have 11 beadrollers all together!
Kathy

My website

Pegasus

Madeline, me and the hubster are in the process of making our own graphite cavity shapers which we will be selling on our new website. It will probably be after christmas when we have everything ready to go live. Just thought I'd let you know!! ;)
~ BEV ~
www.pegasuslampworktools.co.uk      

dangerousbead

Madeline you must be a mind reader, I was just going to ask what people would recommend as the best tool for shaping up round beads. You've saved me the trouble. Cheers.  ;)

Modified to ask, is there a video tut on using a bead roller that anyone knows of off hand?

MadelineBunyan

I can make moderately even donuts, its the round rounds that I find a pain, and I dont want to be spending that much time on the base shape, I wanna get decorating!

I may well take you up on that offer (and I've seen how Janet packs one rod of glass, I reckons a beadroller would be safe!)

11! are they that addictive? o dear, poor poor paypal balance, need some coming in...oh well have camera back now, suppose I can get listing some new stuff!

Bev, I had read about that, and I am excited for a uk manufacturer, and one who will custom make what we ask for! I will probably buy some in the future if this turns out to be something I get on with! (or if I still haven't decided by then!)

are there not videos off Donna's website? or just do a search in youtube.

the thing is, last christmas, I had this discussion with myself, beadroller, or charmbox press, beadroller, or charmbox press, in the end, I was ordering from tuffnells and so I ordered the charmbox press. and when my order came....no press!!! out of stock, yet the website let me buy it. so no shiny new tool for me to play with for christmas.not a happy bunny.

anyway, I eventually got my charm box press (at the flame off) and well, it was a mistake. it hates me. I hate it straight back some days. occasionally I get something I know I couldn't have made without it, but mostly it just rips off the bead release, ruins my (usually silver glass) bead and put me in a bad mood with it.

yet I cant seem to bring myself to sell it. my lentil press hated me, but I had no problems selling that, I'm sure its well loved in its new home.

perhaps its because I was buying an alternative (lentil mashers from graceful customs) and I didn't feel bad.

anyway, this is why I am dithering, or torturing myself as George put it! I'm sick of tools I buy, don't use, then can't bring myself to sell even though I don't use them?!

Kaz

Quote from: dangerousbead on November 26, 2010, 12:16:12 AM
Madeline you must be a mind reader, I was just going to ask what people would recommend as the best tool for shaping up round beads. You've saved me the trouble. Cheers.  ;)

Modified to ask, is there a video tut on using a bead roller that anyone knows of off hand?
Hi Jane - there are vid tutorials on the cg bead roller web site.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!