Has your kiln ever burst into flames?

Started by madpup, January 22, 2010, 06:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flyingcheesetoastie

OMG what paranoia and scare mongering!  I have had a kiln overfire in my kitchen and as it's a ceramics kiln went up to around 1300 with some glass inside, so kinda a mini furnace, but not even a scorch mark on the lino!

At the end of the day, the guys who make these kilns have been doing so for a heck of a long time and so kinda know what they're doing, so please people, show them a bit of respect that they are building you kit that is safe!  After all what is the point of using a controller if you still have to babysit your kiln!

On another note, think of the temperatures were dealing with, if you leave something inside or on top or near to a kiln that is organic, it's gonna burn and smoke, so use a bit of common sense about it!

Rachel x

ARBeads

Dishwasher yes
Tumbledrier yes
Washing machine yes

Kiln no.....

I must be so unlucky, why is it always at night? Maybe I should rephrase that to really lucky as each time I and the house were ok , just a burntout charcoal circuit board,terrible stink and lighter pockets.

Ruthx
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Zeldazog

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on January 22, 2010, 11:48:09 AM
On another note, think of the temperatures were dealing with, if you leave something inside or on top or near to a kiln that is organic, it's gonna burn and smoke, so use a bit of common sense about it!

I don't think I had a lot of common sense at the time, Rachel!  Couldn't believe how stupid I had been when I saw it.  Incidentally, though it didn't leave a mark or brown the tea-towel.... a couple of weeks before, I had left a piece of ceramic fibre paper on top (I know, I know), and that *did* leave a light scorch mark on the lid....

♥♥Tan♥♥

The best thing would be for you to fire it a few times while you are around. That way you can watch it, feel the walls and areas around it and put your mind at rest.

Don't do as I did and leave a pair of oven gloves sitting on top the very first time I plucked up the courage to not stare at it the whole program ::)

Zeldazog

Quote from: Tan on January 22, 2010, 02:37:54 PM
Don't do as I did and leave a pair of oven gloves sitting on top the very first time I plucked up the courage to not stare at it the whole program ::)

Glad I am not the only dingbat....

Lee - Kilncare

Quote from: Flyingcheesetoastie on January 22, 2010, 11:48:09 AM
OMG what paranoia and scare mongering!  I have had a kiln overfire in my kitchen and as it's a ceramics kiln went up to around 1300 with some glass inside, so kinda a mini furnace, but not even a scorch mark on the lino!

At the end of the day, the guys who make these kilns have been doing so for a heck of a long time and so kinda know what they're doing, so please people, show them a bit of respect that they are building you kit that is safe! After all what is the point of using a controller if you still have to babysit your kiln!

Rachel x

Bang on correct on all counts Rachel.
Kilns, by nature are fire resistant due to the fact that their operating temperature is hotter than your average coal fire.

In all my years of kilning, I've never come across a kiln that has set on fire.
I have come across kilns that have burnt schools down etc but that has been when combustible items have been left on them and it's the item that has caught fire and not the kiln.
We did have a kiln once that dried out the floor boards of a class room which in turn caused a fire. The kiln was very old, very close to the floor boards and had a big crack in the floor of the kiln which let a direct path out of the kiln chamber. The kiln was also bigger than the ones you guys have. That is the ONLY case I can remember like that.

It is a case of common sense.
Kilns are fire safe by nature.
Keep your flammables away and you will never have a problem.

If it helps any, if your shed does burn down at least the kiln will be left sitting in the middle of the ashes ;D ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

madpup

Its not scare mongering at all, I'm brand new to this and want to know that my house is safe
when i turn on the kiln, like most people here my kiln is on the desk and as pointed out kilns
do over fire, is there any chance that this in turn set light to the desk, do you see where I'm
coming from? its not the kiln I'm worried about my workshop is in the house not shed.
Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

♥♥Tan♥♥

Mine is in the house too flower, its on a workbench in the kitchen. It's been there for a good few years and although the walls get warm I have never had a problem.

Lee - Kilncare

TWITTER @kilncare
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

sublimekate

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on January 22, 2010, 03:03:32 PM

If it helps any, if your shed does burn down at least the kiln will be left sitting in the middle of the ashes ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

Ian Pearson

40 years and I have never experienced my kiln/oven burst into flames which is the title of this thread. I have seen a few items inside a kiln/oven explode but that was due to faulty glass or chemicals left inside a container. Naked flames pose a greater risk. Pressurised gas, sharp edges and pointy tools all have their risks. Just be sensible.

Ian

madpup

Instead of getting married again, I'm going to find a woman I don't like and just give her a house.

www.madpup.co.uk

Lee - Kilncare

Good, I seriously wouldn't worry about the bench with an SC3.

The heated chamber on the SC3 is raised from the bench and there is air gaps in the actual kiln body that will help keep the bench top cooler, not a bad design.
In fact, if the SC3 did go on a wobbler, it would burn its own element out and cool down before it had a chance to cause any serious mischief.

Don't worry, be sensible and get on with enjoying your glass making.
As has been said, maybe leave it on all day and keep checking the area around it for peace of mind.

TWITTER @kilncare

madpup

www.madpup.co.uk

Flyingcheesetoastie

Quote from: Lee - Kilncare on January 22, 2010, 03:03:32 PM
Keep your flammables away and you will never have a problem.

Actually Lee, I use the handle of Big Blue to dry the studio tea towels when he's on!  You should write that into it's list of benefits!