Main Menu

Boro gallery January 2011

Started by garishglobes, January 05, 2011, 03:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garishglobes

Happy new Year  ;D

and here to start us off is a strange chilli genie and slightly less strange blown bead:

Lampwork glass chilli tea light by Flying Bead, on Flickr

Blown lampwork glass bead red by Flying Bead, on Flickr

I like the chilli, it was fun attempting to blow a shape - but what I'm really pleased about is that the colour is GA Jasper, and it has played really well  :)

Marcel

Just love the chilli and the blown bead is beautiful  :)
I am making butterfly marbles lately the marbles are backed with glow in the dark glas
on one picture you can see the glow  ;)

Steampunkglass

My first attempts at metal cored beads! The first couple are with some reject beads that I used brass to line them with, first time I've done this (with impress liner) so quite pleased how them came out. Once polished up they looked like gold which was a nice surprise!

I had trouble when I switched to silver as I pressed too hard at the end and cracked a few, but I'm getting the hang of it! I just need to make some more big holed beads now!

Marcel

thank you my Glass friends  ;D i love the brass lining Glenn.
I just finished this marble experiment i call it Spirit Quest.

The Journey Starts here

Through the mountains

meeting the Spiritbear

garishglobes

I keep coming back to look at that marble again... just beautiful....

The guy here's a bit acne'd, I don't know why but what is normally well-behaved glass decided to bubble. It is more noticeable in the pics than in real life, but I guess only a teenager would really be dim enough to set his hat alight anyway!  ::)

On fire by Flying Bead, on Flickr

stuwaudby

I had a play with my new camera lastnight:

There are some pics on this forum of the setup:

http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=25253.15

sparrow

Fabulous show and tell so far - love the tealights and beads...and the marbles  ;D ;D

I've just been mucking about a little (a very little ;))

Mucking about :) by Little Castle Designs, on Flickr
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Fiona on January 21, 2011, 07:53:34 PM
I love all the work on here you're all so talented.  :)  Do any of you use a nortel minor and one oxycon?  I'd love to have a go at boro glass but can't afford to upgrade on torch or a second oxycon?  I know people have said it's possible but just takes longer for the glass to melt.  Exactly how much longer?
It really depends on how big you are trying to work really. There is tutoral that Pipry sells on Etsy about working boro with one oxy that you might find helpful. It's difficult to really say how much longer, as long as you keep the rod in the flame so the heat builds up you should be ok. It's more about just taking things a little more slowly. The bigger problem you might have is with some colours reducing too much if they are heated for very long periods, but if you are doing beads it shouldn't be a problem. You won't be able to do any 'gravity' beads though as the glass will go back to being solid within a few seconds of taking it out of a one oxy flame.

You could always turn things on their head and work on small boro, I found it was great for doing micro-mini work with just one oxy; I made some 6-9mm micro marbles, I even had to turn down the flame at points to stop it melting too quickly!

Marcel

Spring is early this year  ;) here is a hollow glass
egg in its own little nest. enjoy.