Kitchen Studio

Started by aoturoa, April 20, 2008, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoturoa

I've been reading through the other questions and looking up other people's set ups and I have a query.

As much as I would love a shed, there is absolutely no room in my stamp-sized garden. The only other suitable room is my kitchen.

Is it viable to set up a small studio here?  ???

I'm looking at getting Tuffnell's starter kit but only if it's going to be workable. As a second option, I'm going to have a look for rentable studio space in my area (might be better looking for rocking horse droppings, but there you go!).

Les

Hiya :)

I think you'll find that lots of lampworkers on here started out in their kitchen :) I know I did ;)

xx

garishglobes

Oh, dear. Do I have to admit I *still* work out of a corner of the kitchen/dining room....18 months later....?
When I got Oxycon and big torch, my plumber mate told me I was mad and dangerous, but went on to add that he knew several other mad and dangerous people! Also gave me a big, serious and very instructional talk on MAKING SURE the propane was bled out of the hose and switched firmly OFF each time I finished! He was neurotic enough for me to take that one firmly on board. I'm sure its not safe, but its either there or nowhere!

glassworks

we did, but beware that the hothead can be a bit noisy and it wasn't long before we switched to a quieter torch combo, and now have a glass company!..  ;D ;D ;D ;D beware the power of the torch i say!...

lots of our customers and friends operate from very modest spaces, so in all seriousness as long as you can get a 600mmx600mm clear space somewhere you can probably squeeze some beading space in there.. the hothead/bulk kit also has the benefit of being very space saving, and when you are done the whole lot can be carted outside or wherever it is out of the way..

just get in there and give it a go i say!!

aoturoa

Oh excellent! *rubs hands together*

Well I guess the next stage is to convince the hubby and then convert the kitchen. Bwhaha!

♥♥Tan♥♥

I started in a corner of the kitchen about six or seven years ago, I have now moved to the opposite corner of the kitchen and I am very happy there ;D

aoturoa

Has anyone got a photo of their kitchen set up they care to share?  :-*

Sarah

Quote from: garishglobes on April 20, 2008, 07:50:31 PM
Oh, dear. Do I have to admit I *still* work out of a corner of the kitchen/dining room....18 months later....?

Me too  ::)

But my proper studio is on its way! I don't have a photo - I just have a workmate, creation station, oxycon & torch in a corner. I can reach the oven to switch the kettle ring off from my torch. I'm going to miss that when I move to the shed  :o

Revontulet

I worked in my kitchen for nearly a year before moving into my shed/studio - the only problem was that when I started out I intended to pack everything away after each session, but very soon took over the entire kitchen table on a permanent basis - hence the need for the shed.... ;D
Dawn

flowerjasper

Quote from: aoturoa on April 20, 2008, 10:07:15 PM
Has anyone got a photo of their kitchen set up they care to share?  :-*
there is a show your work space thread some where...
try searching for "workspace"  . i am far too blonde to post the link   ;)

turnedlight

I think I'm on page 12 of 'photos of your workspace'! I've been working in my tiny kitchen for a year, I'm only just now moving out to a shed. I have my kiln on the worktop (I threw out some boring kitchen gadget to make room!) a fold up workmate style surface, and my glass in a plastic toy tub which I trip over sometimes, but it is a perfectly viable arrangement. I also have laminate florring in there.. I don't think vinyl would be a good idea, but I don't think I've scorched the laminate at all.
Also, this arrangement means standing up, which I've been perfectly happy with. Not sure how I'm going to handle sitting to do lampworking in my shed!
kathryn

aoturoa

I've found the perfect place  *drools*

There's a stream in the garden. A stream in the garden:o

And look at those surroundings! It's so so pretty.

Man, I wanna move so bad.  ::)

Billie

Buy it, buy it, buy it!!!   ;D ;D ;D

MangoBeads

dinah46

Can I just ask if I've done that conversion correctly - £162,000?? ???

If so I've decided to emigrate ;D